Best air cooler under 158mm

BrianLaw5975

What is the best air cooler under 158mm? I amm currently using a CRYORIG H7 and it doesn't really keep my 8700K cool. I am looking for a cooler that will fit in the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 TG.

You might just be able to fit that in there, but it would be a very tight fit:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification

It is techically 2mm too much, but i dont think that your case is made with mm precision. Can you measure the height from your cpu cooler to the side panel?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You might just be able to fit that in there, but it would be a very tight fit:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification

It is techically 2mm too much, but i dont think that your case is made with mm precision. Can you measure the height from your cpu cooler to the side panel?

hm... pcpp says it fits. and the nhd15. so it might actually fit

20 minutes ago, BrianLaw5975 said:

What is the best air cooler under 158mm? I amm currently using a CRYORIG H7 and it doesn't really keep my 8700K cool.

what kind of temperatures are you looking at?

I just fit my Noctua NH-D15S (160mm height) into a Thermaltake Vesra H22 case (155mm cooler limit) without any modding and it's not touching the side panel.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Any high tier downdraft heatsink might be your solution, like Noctua NH-C14S and other coolers with the similar style.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... pcpp says it fits. and the nhd15. so it might actually fit

You're probably looking at the wrong case then. It shows incompatible for me. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7FDh6X

@BrianLaw5975 What ram are you using and what are your temps? Are you using any fans besides the stock case fan?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

what kind of temperatures are you looking at?

Around 85 degree Celsius at stock speed.

Oke that's pretty hot... So when used logic … You have on one side the 8700k at 95 TDP and on the other side your current fan at 150 TDP... This should be enough under normal circumstances.. I guess the first conclusion could be anything between a broken heatsensor, a broken case fan ( exhaust, not the cpu fan ) or maybe a wrong setup for the casefan. Is the air let out properly? you can test the exhaust by keeping some light paper in front of it... if it works proper the paper should blow away if its not it will be sucked against the fan exhaust or just drop down  

3 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Oke that's pretty hot... So when used logic … You have on one side the 8700k at 95 TDP and on the other side your current fan at 150 TDP... This should be enough under normal circumstances.. I guess the first conclusion could be anything between a broken heatsensor, a broken case fan ( exhaust, not the cpu fan ) or maybe a wrong setup for the casefan. Is the air let out properly? you can test the exhaust by keeping some light paper in front of it... if it works proper the paper should blow away if its not it will be sucked against the fan exhaust or just drop down  

I have test the fan in my case they they all function properly. I use 2 fans for in take and 1 fan for exhaust.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You're probably looking at the wrong case then. It shows incompatible for me. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7FDh6X

@BrianLaw5975 What ram are you using and what are your temps? Are you using any fans besides the stock case fan?

I use a pair of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666Mhz 8GB. I am getting around 85 degree Celsius under load at stock speed. I am using 2 12 cm fans for intake and a 12 cm fan for exhaust.

oh boy.. I do hope something is not broken then... 

This is my setup  in one of the smallest midi cases ( 18 cm's thick, 485 cm's long and 42 cm's high ) ... There is a 95 tdp processor in there, same as yours according to the tdp and I have a 165 w tdp fan... atm is pretty cold in Holland ( though in home its atleast 18 degrees )  so I stock is 22 degrees atm... I just ran some asus real benches last night and during the cpu stress test, a couple of mins on cpu at 100% it only goes up to just above 40 degrees... just to give you an idea how it should be working ;)  

Do you notice any difference with your cpu loads for instance to narrow down the path of faults … you can track this with the taskmanager in the performance tab.. I use iobit too with that program you get this nice little window that shows the cpu load the ram load and can show the temps of both cpu and gpu 

Case.jpg

On 12/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, BrianLaw5975 said:

What is the best air cooler under 158mm? I amm currently using a CRYORIG H7 and it doesn't really keep my 8700K cool. I am looking for a cooler that will fit in the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 TG.

The case is your problem I have the 3.1 lite but I had to mod the front case to get better airflow got 15c more cooler.  Let me know I’ll take pics of showing you how I did it. 

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

13 hours ago, BrianLaw5975 said:

I use a pair of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666Mhz 8GB. I am getting around 85 degree Celsius under load at stock speed. I am using 2 12 cm fans for intake and a 12 cm fan for exhaust.

If you're referring to the system on your user profile and you're using default motherboard settings, temps seem normal. By default, Asus motherboards have Multicore Enhancement enabled which is effectively an auto oc which will use more voltage than necessary. You can disable MCE if you haven't already which should lower temps. 

If you want to oc, I'd suggest doing it manually instead. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're referring to the system on your user profile and you're using default motherboard settings, temps seem normal. By default, Asus motherboards have Multicore Enhancement enabled which is effectively an auto oc which will use more voltage than necessary. You can disable MCE if you haven't already which should lower temps. 

If you want to oc, I'd suggest doing it manually instead. 

The Multicore enhancement is already turned off. The cpu will just thermal throttle when it is turned on.

15 minutes ago, BrianLaw5975 said:

The Multicore enhancement is already turned off. The cpu will just thermal throttle when it is turned on.

In that case, your temps are pretty bad and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of case airflow. 

Have you tried setting the core voltage manually?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

In that case, your temps are pretty bad and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of case airflow. 

Have you tried setting the core voltage manually?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

The core voltage is about 1.16v under load. I will be shopping in Hong Kong and only in stores. There isn't really any budget limit as long as it is an air cooler that is decent.

1 hour ago, BrianLaw5975 said:

The core voltage is about 1.16v under load. I will be shopping in Hong Kong and only in stores. There isn't really any budget limit as long as it is an air cooler that is decent.

Can you link us to the store websites or shopping lists?

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you link us to the store websites or shopping lists?

Most computer stores here doesn't have an online catalog. I am fine with just getting some suggestion for a cooler and I can figure out where to buy it.

2 minutes ago, BrianLaw5975 said:

Most computer stores here doesn't have an online catalog. I am fine with just getting some suggestion for a cooler and I can figure out where to buy it.

The best options that fit would probably be from Scythe including the Fuma, Mugen 5, or Ninja 4 / 5.

If you haven't tried already, reseating your cooler might be a good idea since a bad mount can also cause high temps.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

n that case, your temps are pretty bad and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of case airflow.

That's like an understatement! pretty bad, as worse as I've ever seen... Even airflow comment  btw …. show us your case Brian!! ;) with 2 huge inlets and 1 big outlet its hard to conceive its an airflow problem.. atleast to me it is :D

Just added a fan to the CRYORIG H7 and repasted it with some Arctic MX-4. It is much cooler now at 75 degree Celsius. I am probably still going to change my cpu coller later. Thank you guys for your help.