Best CPU cooler under 162mm

TheReal_JC

Hey everyone, new here!!

Just a quick question.

At the moment I have an Artic Freezer 7 pro on my 8700k, but it runs a little hotter than I would want it to, I looked at the Noctua NH15 but it’s JUST too big, my case is a N300 by coolermaster.

what would you guys recommend, please go easy on me :D.

cheers,

James

well, Artic freezer esports one is a really good one for little money

NHD15S would fit, so does the nhd14

dark rock (pro) 3 would fit

just to give some examples of good coolers imo

Also, I want to avoid RAM clearance problems if possible. It’s a Z370 HD3 board with Vengeance 8gb sticks

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, Artic freezer esports one is a really good one for little money

NHD15S would fit, so does the nhd14

dark rock (pro) 3 would fit

just to give some examples of good coolers imo

Thanks for the reply! The big Noctuas are 165mm, so just too big for the case

22 minutes ago, TheReal_JC said:

Thanks for the reply! The big Noctuas are 165mm, so just too big for the case

So I assume the dark rock too? what about the artic freezer 33 esports?

People are saying there are better coolers for the 8700k than the 33 esports. Why do people shy away from AIO? I have heard horror stories about them leaking and ruining systems?

TLGMRT, The El Macho

DSC_0604.thumb.jpg.ab72cd77400d421a868df1c6107ad9ca.jpg

7986_25_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.jpg.47e5c2ab87d73cbe7775c85c1bc4f514.jpg

7986_24_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.jpg.c7d2101956f1b5c692597ba22525aae4.jpg

1690498322_images(1)(2).jpeg.fc34610d6af2d110ba03600574b19afe.jpeg

Handle everything like a boss! All clear, no conflicts with any other components, height is 159mm, weight is only 1060 grams which is light for its class, average weight of the similar (dual tower) coolers is around 1300 grams, and it performs similar to NH-D15.

This El Macho is my personal top list of air cooler before NH-D15

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

5 hours ago, TheReal_JC said:

People are saying there are better coolers for the 8700k than the 33 esports. Why do people shy away from AIO? I have heard horror stories about them leaking and ruining systems?

This is one of that horror fact, not just simply a story. You are facing the risk to deal with all the hassle of the RMA and cannot use your PC for long while. I'm not saying that all the AIO manufacturers are giving the same level of customer service, but the risk and hassle and the stresses are real and happens..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

6 hours ago, TheReal_JC said:

Also, I want to avoid RAM clearance problems if possible. It’s a Z370 HD3 board with Vengeance 8gb sticks

What are your temps? If you're using LPX ram, the NH-D15 should fit. 

That being said, there are probably cheaper options if you want to save some money.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Getting up to 82C max with MCE on, but want to keep it cooler. I’m in the UK and am looking at up to £70 max.

1 hour ago, TheReal_JC said:

Getting up to 82C max with MCE on, but want to keep it cooler. I’m in the UK and am looking at up to £70 max.

MCE is effectively an auto oc and generally uses more voltage than necessary. If you want to oc, do it manually instead. That being said, 82c is fine.

If you want to push for a higher oc or want something quieter, the Macho Rev. B is great: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

MCE is effectively an auto oc and generally uses more voltage than necessary. If you want to oc, do it manually instead. That being said, 82c is fine.

If you want to push for a higher oc or want something quieter, the Macho Rev. B is great: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker

thanks for the tagging advice :).

just my wife streams on the PC so constant high temps worry me

Just now, TheReal_JC said:

just my wife streams on the PC so constant high temps worry me

Is 82c from a synthetic stress test or streaming?

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is 82c from a synthetic stress test or streaming?

@WoodenMarker

this is max for both stress and has hit 80c during streaming