Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdvancedMicroDisapointment

Optical drive survey

Optical drive survey  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your optical drive setup look like?

• Internal CD/DVD optical drive
    • Internal Blue Ray optical drive
    • Internal HD DVD optical drive
    • Internal Blue Ray and HD DVD optical drive
    • External CD/DVD optical drive
    • External Blue Ray optical drive
    • External HD DVD optical drive
    • External Blue Ray and HD DVD optical drive (honestly not sure if these exist but I guess we'll find out from the survey)
    • No optical drive
  2. 2. How do you feel about optical drives?

• Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case
    • I keep my old one in there because might as well if I still got it
    • No point to have an optical drive at this point now that there are so many alternatives
    • If you need one get it otherwise no point
  3. 3. How often do you use or find yourself needing an optical drive?

• Almost, if not everyday
    • A few times a month
    • A few times a year
    • Almost never
    • Literally never
  4. 4. Have you ever used lightscribe?

• Yes, it works great
    • Yes, it sucks
    • No, never needed to
    • No, my optical drive does not support it
    • What the h*ck is lightscribe???

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone its ya boy coming at you with the hottest new survey on everyones favorite computer part, thats right you guessed it the optical drive. Fill this out, tell your friends, share it on your favorite social media website, text it to your boss, dm it to your second cousin, mail the link to your grandmother (and call her because she'll really appreciate to just get a chance to talk to you.) Contact your local news station and state representative or your areas equivalent. This is super important as the world needs to know!

All jokes aside just curious on everyones take on the optical drive in a time when it appears it may become obsolete or potentially get a rebirth with new technology and higher capacity discs. And please do spread this around as the more people fill this out the better the results will represent how the world truly feels about the worlds loneliest computer component

Ok question 2 was supposed to have an option that said, "Like Linus in season 5 of scrapyard wars I will fight to keep it in my computer." not sure what happened to it so I guess like this reply or hit agree if you feel that way about it (I certainly do)

Love my lightscribe DVD writer.... Or at least I did when I used it for the last time like 6 years ago when I burned the Windows 8 Pro ISO with a "cool" lightscribed image on it, after I had bought the upgrade license for like 15$ back then on a promo.... And quickly reverted back to Windows 7 because it was awful, that was 15$ in the trash.

Seriously, my optical drive was somewhat useful when I first built my PC, but since then, it's gone pretty much unused.

Speaking of Lightscribe, it's nice and certainly a lot better than just drawing with a sharpie on the disc, but it's utter shit when you compare it to a printable disc. It's literally one color and shades of it.(better than nothing and you can make cool stuff... but... yeah)
That said, I literally have a spool of like 95 unused lightscribe DVDs left, that I bought in 2010. (pack of 100) .... I was expecting to be using a lot of discs. Turns out, I only needed 5. 😂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

i actually have a couple of old internal dvd writers....IF i ever need one i just use a sata to usb adapter. but i think i used it once (for someone else) in the last 5 years or so.

I have a Lite-On BluRay writer on my machine, which i paid half the price on a local store because they had it stuck for over 3 years, recently i started keeping my more important backups in BluRay discs due to low cost, availability of the discs and ease of use.

About lightscribe, right when i joined the forums i had an Asus lightscribe compatible DVD burner, i used that burner to DEATH and never used lightscribe a day in my life, never had the need to.

Also, one thing that bothers me immensely about modern PC cases is the increasing rate that 5.25' bays are disappearing from the mainstream, specially when it comes to high end cases, i think some brands should keep that as an option for the buyer.

Project Taiwan: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: 280mm Thermaltake Water 3.0 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 8gb Team T-Force Xtreem @3600mhz /// Chassis: InWin 805 (with MNPCtech handles) /// PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand Gold 650W /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals: Mice: Glorious Model O, Logitech G305 /// Keyboard: Leopold FC900R (Cherry Pink), Logitech G613 (Romer G) /// Monitor: AOC Agon AG322FCX 32' (VA, 1080p @144hz) /// AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD /// DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) /// Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 /// Mike: Superlux E205U /// Headphones: Sony MDR-XB920 & Koss Pro4AAA Titanium

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Hegel H90 /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I use a CD/DVD Internal drive as an external drive (took it from an old laptop and will connect to the PC on need).

I often only use it to rip some musics to a CD for the car, yeah I know we're on the USB era but my father and I are a bit of old school when it comes to car music and we still appreciate old fashion CDs.

And that's it.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

This poll is heavily biased, which is typical of most polls on forums. In the second section, the first selection is, "Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case." That automatically assumes everyone only uses optical drives occasionally. However, there are still a surprising number of people who still use them frequently, such as me; there is no "just in case". I buy the vast majority of my music on CD, both because CDs usually have higher quality music files than downloads, which are usually 128Kbps mp3s, and have the information that appear in the CD jackets and inserts, valuable for correctly tagging the tracks I rip (downloads are usually horribly tagged). The same holds true for movies except I do not download any movies; I only buy DVDs and BDs.

Section 3 assumes people use their optical drives at a consistent rate. Actually, that is rarely true. I tend to do my ripping in batches (I also tend to buy my music and movies in batches, especially movies when stores restock their bargain bins). I typically go a few months without doing any ripping, then rip half a dozen to a dozen but even that isn't consistent. This section would be better labeled for average usage.

Moving on, I prefer internal optical drives since they tend to be better quality, they do not take up any extra desktop space when in use, are ready to go at any time with no setup required, and are usually much faster. 

I haven't written to a disc in a few years since I do not use them for storing data, preferring SSDs and USB flash drives for that. I used to burn music discs for use in the 6 CD changer in my F150 but the changer jammed a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing the changer since the radio still works and I don't travel as much as I used to. All my optical drive use is read only although I retain write capability "just in case" (also, write capable drives are usually better quality even for read only operations).

I have Light Scribe capability and liked it but I didn't use it much since it was so slow and stopped using it fairly quickly (which is a moot point since I no longer burn discs). Printable discs were not an option for me since they required ink jet printers and you couldn't even give me one of those abominations except for target practice.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have 2 internal drives so I can read from one and write to the other directly. The reader is bkunray, but the writer is DVD only. 

I still use optical as long term storage and I like to watch 3D Blurays every now and then.

I do not use lightscribe anymore but I used it ALOT when it first came out as it was in the days of burning rental DVDs for yourself, so it was always good to make the burned DVD feel legit by inscribing an image over the whole disc. I used to print my own case covers as well.

34 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This poll is heavily biased, which is typical of most polls on forums. In the second section, the first selection is, "Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case." That automatically assumes everyone only uses optical drives occasionally. However, there are still a surprising number of people who still use them frequently, such as me; there is no "just in case". I buy the vast majority of my music on CD, both because CDs usually have higher quality music files than downloads, which are usually 128Kbps mp3s, and have the information that appear in the CD jackets and inserts, valuable for correctly tagging the tracks I rip (downloads are usually horribly tagged). The same holds true for movies except I do not download any movies; I only buy DVDs and BDs.

Section 3 assumes people use their optical drives at a consistent rate. Actually, that is rarely true. I tend to do my ripping in batches (I also tend to buy my music and movies in batches, especially movies when stores restock their bargain bins). I typically go a few months without doing any ripping, then rip half a dozen to a dozen but even that isn't consistent. This section would be better labeled for average usage.

Moving on, I prefer internal optical drives since they tend to be better quality, they do not take up any extra desktop space when in use, are ready to go at any time with no setup required, and are usually much faster. 

I haven't written to a disc in a few years since I do not use them for storing data, preferring SSDs and USB flash drives for that. I used to burn music discs for use in the 6 CD changer in my F150 but the changer jammed a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing the changer since the radio still works and I don't travel as much as I used to. All my optical drive use is read only although I retain write capability "just in case" (also, write capable drives are usually better quality even for read only operations).

I have Light Scribe capability and liked it but I didn't use it much since it was so slow and stopped using it fairly quickly (which is a moot point since I no longer burn discs). Printable discs were not an option for me since they required ink jet printers and you couldn't even give me one of those abominations except for target practice.

Did you miss this

16 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Ok question 2 was supposed to have an option that said, "Like Linus in season 5 of scrapyard wars I will fight to keep it in my computer." not sure what happened to it so I guess like this reply or hit agree if you feel that way about it (I certainly do)

Also what is wrong with the third question? some people did say they use it almost everyday and as expected most people said a few times a year, how is that not a fair question?

I always like o have physical disks for both music and video, so for all of my builds in the past, and the foreseeable future I will always have at least on ODD.

3 minutes ago, MPenten said:

Law enforcements and lawyers still use CD's, so thats one way why u need an optical drive.

100 times this. I run an MSP. One of my clients is a legal firm and I've had to setup a "ripping" station for them since they've all moved to thin and light laptops/ultrabooks. I swear they get at least 4 or 5 new CDs/DVDs and the occasional BD every week. 

I recently bought a bunch of music CD's because I wanted to have the music and buying the singed CD's directly from the official merchandise shop was the the cheapest option. I think the digital download alternatives (from other sites) was about three times what I payed even including shipping, which was a bit less than half the cost.

So yeah it was very useful to still have a working optical drive. However, I did have a little bit of a panic/shock when I first tried to read the CD's and they all showed as empty. Turned out there was some dust on the lens. xD

My laptop has an internal Blu-Ray/CD/DVD drive, no LightScribe.

Because there isn't an answer that adequately applies to me for No. 2, I can't answer the poll.

I don't have it "just in case" I need to read/write a CD/DVD, I've written CDs a few times and I read DVDs occasionally as well.

One of the main reasons I like having it is because I still buy most of my music on CDs. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have physical copies. They can't corrupt, it doesn't matter about losing it in a reinstall, and I like to have lots of backups of my music anyway.

I have 2 ODD drives in the parts pile collecting dust I don't throw away because...what if lol.  I have 1 Blu Ray and 1 DVD/CD RW drive in my HTPC...cause it has the space and I was able to reduce down my parts pile.  Ive actually only watched 1 Blu Ray on the drive...no point, as we stream everything.

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

I would keep an optical drive in my PC if my case supported it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

Just wrote a Linux CD for my old server, not everything supports USB booting and I gotta do something with all my old CDs or they'll all go to waste.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Wow. LightScribe.. It's been a long ass time since I used that (10+ years) is it still available with ODD? Because you needed to buy specific blank CD's/DVD's to use with it. It was handy for me back in high school for my year 12 projects in multi media, was able to create something that looked good for the DVD's I was putting my HSC projects on that wasn't a crappy printed label that can get caught in ODD.

But anyway. I have a Slim ODD from Silverstone in my build. Just a regular DVD drive, cause I still buy music CD's and would like someway to rip them.

17 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

shouts to the floatplane gang homies who came here after the stream

What live stream, what did I miss?!

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

1 minute ago, Virus__ said:

What live stream, what did I miss?!

They did a live stream to show off their "basically complete copy of youtube play button" from Bilibili, and now we're all lurking in the floatplane live chat waiting for Wan Show

Just now, ObviousFelon said:

They did a live stream to show off their "basically complete copy of youtube play button" from Bilibili, and now we're all lurking in the floatplane live chat waiting for Wan Show

Ohhh right cool. That'll be on YouTube to rewatch later as I have work shortly >_>

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

BD-RW/hd DVD drives that's tight 2 drives. I do retro computing and it's why I also still have floppy disks