Fake Chinese SD Card Scam!

nicklmg

Something to add; i dont recommed flashing burner, isp or firmware files (some MPtools have this option) because these are tailored for each specific batch of drives by the factory. Flashing incorrect version will _always_ end up with a bricked drive with no real way to recover. 

There is bunch of different things you can do with these tools (toying with leds, password protected partitions etc) but its usually a good idea to check what these things do, because otherwise you can quickly brick the drive.

Similar tools exist for SSD drives as well (Phison and SiliconMotion drives come to mind). This tools offer even more settings to modify (like overclocking) but can also result in a brick if not threaded carefully. You also have to use usb->sata (usb enclousure for example) to actually edit anything. It's sorta a safety thing this manufacturers use.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

13:20, Higher sector counts were from the beginning of the drive? How would the OS not think sector 0 onwards would be the beginning of the card and primary partition? Physically I thought only optical disks had the beginning of the media being on the inner tracks. Hard drives being the outermost tracks. SSDs and SD cards N/A. Higher sector counts from the beginning of the drive is a logical thing: weird.

Howdy Y'all. I've been watching Linus for as long as I can remember, but I came to these forums for the first time and registered just to post about this subject.

I'm not sure if it was just a goof or a confusing mix-up, or if Amazon is selling counterfeit SanDisk micro SD cards, but I had a very weird experience with an order I placed on Oct 7th from Amazon PrimeNow. Luckily, I still have all the notes from the investigation that I did.

Here is a screenshot from my order, but please note that the images, and the title of the products were different when I actually ordered these.

primenoworder.thumb.PNG.7b0dc694df68313bd40f4cd55c26ab43.PNG

These are the 2 items we are concerned with, including their original listing title:

Original Product Title:  Sandisk Extreme 64gb XC1 V30 U3 A2

URL:  https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B06XWMMPGV

What I was expecting to get:  SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA
What I got:  SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA ?
Problem:  The package matches SKU, but the actual card itself inside the package does not. The original product listing title also said A2, but I ordered based off of the image, and totally wasn't expecting an A2. This one is a mess. Fake? Free upgrade? Wat?

Original Product Title:  SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-3 Card

URL:  https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B06XX3X9JD

What I was expecting to get:  SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA
What I got:  SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA
Problem:  The online picture shows an A2 card, which is what I wanted, but I got an A1 card. The product title and description matched what I got, it's just that they had the wrong picture (and I ordered based off the picture, not paying much attention to the title.)

Here is a screenshot from Oct 7 of the incorrect listing:

Screenshot_20181007-112056.thumb.png.e5553a9a87b44a41a63dfae5f416e978.png

Screenshot_20181007-112111.thumb.png.e91256aed99ddaccbe662eb577d53d31.png

Pictures of the cards (I took these tonight. Still haven't opened em because I was supposed to return them, but I was too lazy and didn't.)

IMG_20181216_011423.thumb.jpg.fee638960228c8493bb0724a9a321064.jpg

IMG_20181216_011531.thumb.jpg.da8ef933ef5c705d3cafe135f587fd4e.jpg

Check out the reviews for both of these on the product page.

I contacted PrimeNow support and spoke to a lady telling her that they seem to be selling counterfeit cards. She opened a request to some internal team, and for about a day, all SanDisk SD cards on Amazon were listed as "Currently Unavailable". It seems that they've since updated the product listings and images, but some of the people in the product reviews have conducted speed tests to see if they work as advertised- and it seems they don't.

Maybe I should sell these on Ebay as 1TB cards :trollface:

• 3 weeks later...

well a 512GB Card is not that expansive. I was looking into our IT Distributor Account who sell only legitimated Products:

KINGSTON 512GB microSDXC Canvas React 100R/80W U3 UHS-I V30 A1 Single Pack w/o Adapter or

KINGSTON 512GB microSDXC Canvas React 100R/80W U3 UHS-I V30 A1 Card + SD Adptr

~145€ include Tax.

From AT. :x

32 minutes ago, Required said:

well a 512GB Card is not that expansive. I was looking into our IT Distributor Account who sell only legitimated Products:

KINGSTON 512GB microSDXC Canvas React 100R/80W U3 UHS-I V30 A1 Single Pack w/o Adapter or

KINGSTON 512GB microSDXC Canvas React 100R/80W U3 UHS-I V30 A1 Card + SD Adptr

~145€ include Tax.

How exactly do you define the expansiveness of a  SD card?

Thats my personal view. Sure for the Money I will get an real 1TB SSD for but everyone should know if the value for his or her is good or not.

Linus sayed in the video several hundred bugs buts not that bad.

From AT. :x

cheapest legit msd card goes for 135€, while ssd of the same size is 55€.

so yeah, msd cards carry a hefty premium.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

• 7 months later...

So does anybody here know how I can modify the device characteristics by changing it from the micro-controller of a pen drive if I wish to do this procedure for a pen drive instead. Anybody have any resources from where I can understand how to modify the micro-controller.