Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RicEcho

Got 1 gig internet but getting 400mbs

Just now, RicEcho said:

When I said I tried I am talking about I tested my speeds. I know that I won't be able to get the full 1 gig but I think it's stupid that I am losing a whole 600 mbs.

yeah it's pretty weird how speeds work based on what you buy. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, so I got my 1-gigabyte internet, but when I tried it I was only getting 400mbs. I waited a couple of days, to see if it would increase but it only increased by 5 or 10. I even made sure my ethernet cable is supported of 1 gig.

2 minutes ago, RicEcho said:

I was only getting 400mbs

how are you testing it? speedtest usually hits limits on their end around 300-400.

1 minute ago, Cigano said:

what do you mean by tried it? not getting the the full 1gig usage is normal.

When I said I tried I am talking about I tested my speeds. I know that I won't be able to get the full 1 gig but I think it's stupid that I am losing a whole 600 mbs.

Posted · Best Answer
Just now, RicEcho said:

yeah it's pretty weird how speeds work based on what you buy. 

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how are you testing it? speedtest usually hits limits on their end around 300-400.

I use Speedtest.net

2 minutes ago, RicEcho said:

I use Speedtest.net

speedtest.net only uses a single connection at once, and oftentimes their servers themselves only have a 1Gb connection which is shared with other people doing tests at the same time. Try dslreports.com/speedtest

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

32 minutes ago, RicEcho said:

Hi, so I got my 1-gigabyte internet, but when I tried it I was only getting 400mbs. I waited a couple of days, to see if it would increase but it only increased by 5 or 10. I even made sure my ethernet cable is supported of 1 gig.

1 gigbit or byte? 1 byte = 8 bits

I may be wrong.

45 minutes ago, RicEcho said:

I use Speedtest.net

speedtest necks at around 300-400, even if you have 10gig fiber straight to the datacenter they're hosting from. speaking from experience here..

58 minutes ago, RicEcho said:

How do you have 8Gbps internet? You mean 1Gbps not 1 gigabyte. Did you check if your router supports those speeds?