2 Windows 10 computers on same network not playing nice

Xa3phod

Hey Folks!

I have 2 windows 10 computers on the same network. One is wired and one is wifi. The wired one can see the wifi computer, but the wifi cannot see the wired one on the network.

Yes, I did all the settings in private network settings. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what are you trying to do on the netwrok? Network discovery seems to be pretty hit or miss, so id use drive mapping instead.

this.

i've got about 10-ish computers of vareous forms that have to play nice.. and the only form of playing nice that seems to work across the board is accessing by IP address.

I've had the same issue before. Like the wizard said above, network discovery doesn't seem to work from wired to wireless or visa versa. However, if you can directly map something (like a drive) it'll work fine. 

On 12/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, LinusOnLine said:

If they are in the same Workgroup it usually works fine.

Not in my experience.  As others have said, its really inconsistent especially with SAMBA.

My laptop for example can see other Windows 10 devices but won't see my SAMBA server, but if I type the path in manually it connects fine.  I drive map using IP address though as that continues to work when I'm away from home using a VPN to connect back home.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 hours ago, manikyath said:

this.

i've got about 10-ish computers of vareous forms that have to play nice.. and the only form of playing nice that seems to work across the board is accessing by IP address.

One of the only fix I've found to improve the reliability is to switch each of the devices I want to use with network discovery to turn on WINS for both devices.