Can i run a VM?

mob180

Hey,
Mob here my question is this: Can i run a virtual machine on my pc? here are my specs 8 GB RAM (DDR2), CPU Intel core 2 duo E4700 max ghz is 2.60 has one socket, 2 cores , 2 logical processors and L1 cache is 128 KB L2 is 2 MB. And i have a 1 TB hard disk rdy to go! So can i run VM's? For windows i would like 95, 98 (just for fun if i can find them) windows xp and 7 possibly 10. And Linux and maybe mac.

Your CPU doesn't support VT so while you technically might be able to, it won't be a good experience.

-KuJoe

39 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Your CPU doesn't support VT so while you technically might be able to, it won't be a good experience.

Isn't VT only needed if you install 64-bit OS?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 hours ago, mob180 said:

Intel core 2 duo E4700

17 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Isn't VT only needed if you install 64-bit OS?

18 hours ago, KuJoe said:

1. the gen of CPU doesn't support VT technology, you can still do it but it will be slow as fuck

2. some modern virtualization software like hyper-v won't run since a 64-bit Processor with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) is required as it helps with the virtualization and SLAT didn't appear in CPU's until AMD's Opteron processors and Intel's  Nehalem micro architecture with a Core i7, Core i5, Core i3 or Xeon processor that has SLAT in it...

look here for a lift of software that supports it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Level_Address_Translation#Support_in_software

(VmwareESX is basically a server version of VMWare's virtualization software, so it counts)

plus i don't recommend a dual core for anything modern, especially virtualization...

if your motherboard supports the Core 2 Quad processors they are a good upgrade if you can't afford a new motherboard, they don't have SLAT but they will be able to handle the task better then the Core 2 Duo, but if you can try and get a more modern CPU like a 4th gen Intel processor (or a Ryzen, they can be cheap for what they have) or higher as anything older isn't worth putting in the effort...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Simple answer is, yes you can.

The biggest issue is with such old hardware it will be painfully slow. As in you can start your Windows 7 VM, go have some lunch, and maybe it'll have started by the time you return. Windows 95/98 wont be anywhere near as bad but the newer OS's will take a long time.

I'm guessing you're budget limited if you are using this hardware. However if you can manage it, try look into some second hand hardware. If you can find a Core 2 Quad with a motherboard and DDR3 RAM, it will help quite a bit. Obviously the more recent you go, the better off you will be. If you can stretch to a 2nd Gen Core i series, you'll get VT-X support (on some models), and the experience will be much smoother. 

It all comes down to your budget, if any, and what performance you're prepared to put up with.