Why would you Buy this

Ok so my dad just bought me a new computer for school work.  He spent more than $1100 on a HP ProBook x360 440 G1 with a core i5-8250U processor, integrated graphics, 256gb ssd, and single channel 8gb RAM.  Other computers in the $1100-1200 range get you i7, gtx 1060, 128gb ssd and 2tb hdd or 256gb ssd, and 16gb Memory. That seems like a big price to pay for premium materials and name brand.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryId=3074457345618890320&quantity=1

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-Laptop-i7-7700HQ/dp/B077J39Q5Z/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522129174&sr=1-9&keywords=1060 laptop&tag=linus21-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=psdc_13896615011_t2_B077J39Q5Z?tag=linus21-20

Just now, SnowWolf370 said:

There sure are a lot of kids who posts topics like "My parents bought me this piece of junk and it's horrible."

Just.. Wow..

Im sorry.  I didn't know.  Not trying to bash my dad and im not trying to sound greedy.  Honestly im just wondering why this costs so much.

Have it returned and choose something else within the same budget then.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Imagine bitching about an $1100 laptop

Back when I was 13, I scraped up my birthday money (a total of $230) and got my parents to pay the rest for a $330 laptop from Best Buy. I enjoyed the shit out of that and was grateful for it even after I built my rig.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, iiGoldenStorm said:

Im sorry.  I didn't know.  Not trying to bash my dad and im not trying to sound greedy.  Honestly im just wondering why this costs so much.

Because it's a premium prosumer class laptop, built with a certain quality and material choise that makes it more expensive. 

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Back when I was 13, I scraped up my birthday money (a total of $230) and got my parents to pay the rest for a $330 laptop from Best Buy. I enjoyed the shit out of that and was grateful for it even after I built my rig.

And my parents got me an old acer where I could actually play minecraft on. I still love that thing, even today. It's not the fastest, but it would still work if build 1803 didn't brick it

Just now, SnowWolf370 said:

I'm not sure, I've actually been wondering the same myself when looking for laptops.

I guess laptops are just.. Sometimes expensive? Because people pay more, so they jack the prices up.. Just like they do with cars I guess.. Even though they aren't "worth" it, they still cost as much. Because people pay it.

I paid 750 USD for my Dell laptop which isn't a gaming laptop or anything like that.

Laptops are expensive because companies can get a good profit margin off them. A £1000 laptop probably costs £700 to build at most. 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

And my parents got me an old acer where I could actually play minecraft on. I still love that thing, even today. It's not the fastest, but it would still work if build 1803 didn't brick it

If it weren't for the fact that I accidentally fried the charging port on my laptop, I'd still use it to this day.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I remember my old Acer Aspire laptop that had a Pentium 967. I loved that thing but it fell apart after like 4 years of usage. 

man i wish my parents had the money to spend 1k on a laptop for me.. instead i use a 7 year old laptop that is a hand me down from my mom that my step dad gave to her when they first met.. the most expensive thing i have is a ps4 slim and i cannot even afford games for it

so instead of complaining about your dad not knowing which to buy you. and just getting one, try living with a dual core laptop as your main system

lmao just return it and buy a better one if you want

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

man i wish my parents had the money to spend 1k on a laptop for me.. instead i use a 7 year old laptop that is a hand me down from my mom that my step dad gave to her when they first met.. the most expensive thing i have is a ps4 slim and i cannot even afford games for it

so instead of complaining about your dad not knowing which to buy you. and just getting one, try living with a dual core laptop as your main system

8250u is a quad core

Edited by LukeSavenije

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

8250u is a quad core

still better then mine lol

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

4 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Again, im not trying to sound like a stuck up brat who doesn't appreciate it.  I am very grateful that my parents can afford this for me.  All im saying is that this laptop seems too expensive for its specs

1 minute ago, iiGoldenStorm said:

Again, im not trying to sound like a stuck up brat who doesn't appreciate it.  I am very grateful that my parents can afford this for me.  All im saying is that this laptop seems too expensive for its specs

Well. Say hello to enterprice/prosumer premium devices. They are built way better then those 1200 dollar gaming laptops, and the price justifies that. 

2 minutes ago, iiGoldenStorm said:

Well everything seems too expensive for it's specs. Look at Apple's 27 inch Retina 5K iMac. That thing costs £1899 and it has an i5-7500.. But you pay for what you get. You want good build quality, you pay for it.

Just now, 1kv said:

Well everything seems too expensive for it's specs. Look at Apple's 27 inch Retina 5K iMac. That thing costs £1899 and it has an i5-7500.. 

Well, that one has apple tax included. Imo macs aren't built that well

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Well everything seems too expensive for it's specs. Look at Apple's 27 inch Retina 5K iMac. That thing costs £1899 and it has an i5-7500.. 

LOL

Well... Thats apple.  Their a whole other story...

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well, that one has apple tax included. Imo macs aren't built that well

Of course there's Apple Tax. Without Apple Tax one of those iMacs would cost like £1300 max for parts.

Apple is aimed at prosumer/enterprise situations therefore you gotta pay for the privilege of having such a device.

Any company will take advantage of prosumers/businesses because they know that they can get away with it. 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Of course there's Apple Tax. Without Apple Tax one of those iMacs would cost like £1300 max for parts.

Apple is aimed at prosumer/enterprise situations therefore you gotta pay for the privilege of having such a device.

And so is that hp. Enterprices have more money to spend and have no problems to buy something more reliable.

2 hours ago, iiGoldenStorm said:

It costs that much because people pay for it and its a top quality product.

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

It really is not that much of money, but for some people its a ton of money.

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

Laptops are expensive because companies can get a good profit margin off them. A £1000 laptop probably costs £700 to build at most. 

I bet its more then that but no one knows. Linus just knows the retail markup.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

If it weren't for the fact that I accidentally fried the charging port on my laptop, I'd still use it to this day.

That is fixable!

1 hour ago, iiGoldenStorm said:

You are concerned about value for price, that is reasonable. I would bet your parents don't need half the performance that laptop achieves. I would bet a cheaper new model would suffice, or even an older used model. However this is a common first world problem that has no end in sight. Your parents could have saved a bit of money, but their time is more valuable then finding that perfect deal.

34 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

On a singular thing for a kid it sure as fuck is.

LOL Depends on the point of view I guess. For someone who does not have a lot of money then yes, it sure is a fuck ton of money.