Horizontal color lines on bottom of the ASUS monitor

Kranolf

Hey guys!

So I did not use my PC for a week or so, cause I was away, but when turning on, on the bottom of my Asus rog XG32VQ monitor there were several colorful lines in a horizontal position. They were not flickering or anything but honestly my heart stopped that I gotta RMA my 3 month old 700$ monitor. Then I pulled out the DP cable and put back in, and it was working.

I'm guessing this isn't a normal thing for a 700$ monitor to do. What could be the reason? Should I just forget it since its working now? Common issue?

id just forget about it unless it returns

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 1 month later...

Does it look like this?
Mine stared a month or so back with just one or two lines.
They only appeared if the monitor had been off overnight or so, once it had been on for 5 or so they would be gone as long as it stayed on.
It has got worse since then and last longer before they go away again, I'm taking it in for warranty latter this week.

I suspect its a dry/bad joint on a ribbon cable/plug. Monitor being on causes thermal expansion which fixes the issue while it is on but when left to get cold it comes back.
Problem gets worse over time as the joints are repeatedly warmed and cooled causing more and more stress.

Not going to void warranty at this point though so back to where it was brought. 

20190107_072004102_iOS.jpg

20190107_071915086_iOS.jpg

20190107_072001364_iOS.jpg

3 hours ago, Cardboard_Boks said:

Does it look like this?
Mine stared a month or so back with just one or two lines.
They only appeared if the monitor had been off overnight or so, once it had been on for 5 or so they would be gone as long as it stayed on.
It has got worse since then and last longer before they go away again, I'm taking it in for warranty latter this week.

I suspect its a dry/bad joint on a ribbon cable/plug. Monitor being on causes thermal expansion which fixes the issue while it is on but when left to get cold it comes back.
Problem gets worse over time as the joints are repeatedly warmed and cooled causing more and more stress.

Not going to void warranty at this point though so back to where it was brought. 

This is what was waiting for me after I left the house for 2 weeks at 13 celsius. Not sure if it was the cold, but tried to plug all kind of cables and had the same problem for 20 minutes. After warming up I plugged out, put it back in, and it magically disappeared, and didn't show up since I'm using it everyday now. WTF is this

monitor.jpg

• 4 months later...

Same issue here but with 2 monitors.  Could not figure out the problem for months and months.  Has anyone resolved the issue or had ASUS actually RMA them a monitor back that does not have the lines?

On 6/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Wesley Scott said:

Same issue here but with 2 monitors.  Could not figure out the problem for months and months.  Has anyone resolved the issue or had ASUS actually RMA them a monitor back that does not have the lines?

I didn't have time yet, but I will surely RMA this, because it's fuckin annoying. Not using it for a day, and already does this.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:20 PM, Askejm said:

Maybe it could be humidity? 

Humidity as in my room? Or inside the monitor? Don't think so. My secondary AOC monitor works perfectly, tho its a TN panel.

Also, after the monitor warms up, everything is perfect, but still...at this price, I really expect the product to be without these kind of issues.

• 6 months later...

hey guys I'm having the same problem here but it is not going away after being turned on for hours

Did anyone figure out what could have caused this?

1 hour ago, legacyrs said:

hey guys I'm having the same problem here but it is not going away after being turned on for hours

Did anyone figure out what could have caused this?

No, I RMA'd it. Got all my money back fortunately. Cause they couldn't switch the panel in 1.5 months.

• 7 months later...

Yep iv just started having the Same issue on my ROG Strix XG32VQ

Still in 32 Months warranty so gonna take it back to place of Purchase.

Sucks because what monitor am i gonna use in the time being.. :(

• 2 months later...

This is actually a very common problem it seems. I've seen other threads on the web about these monitors. Mine would have all the same lines and colours as posted by others up here but would eventually go away once the monitor has been on for a a few minutes.  After putting up with this issue for over a year the problem has gotten worse. Now the problem wont go away and I've had to reduce the refresh rate back down to 120Hz just to use it. At 120Hz it sill has that faint horizontal lines and reducing it down to 100hz and lower still does not help.

Asus really fucked up here with this monitor. It was a great monitor when it worked and I did enjoy it but now I feel like I've wasted money as its ugly as hell to look at. I'm already looking to buy a new monitor so will be more careful this time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, DarkNinjaXI said:

This is actually a very common problem it seems. I've seen other threads on the web about these monitors. Mine would have all the same lines and colours as posted by others up here but would eventually go away once the monitor has been on for a a few minutes.  After putting up with this issue for over a year the problem has gotten worse. Now the problem wont go away and I've had to reduce the refresh rate back down to 120Hz just to use it. At 120Hz it sill has that faint horizontal lines and reducing it down to 100hz and lower still does not help.

Asus really fucked up here with this monitor. It was a great monitor when it worked and I did enjoy it but now I feel like I've wasted money as its ugly as hell to look at. I'm already looking to buy a new monitor so will be more careful this time.

Yea damn... I was lucky I managed to get my money back (after they made me wait weeks because they didnt get a panel to replace - and I literally demanded a refund).

• 3 months later...

im having a similar problem, when i turn my pc on ii get a couple colored horizontal lines at the bottom of my monitor then they just start moving up and down the screen. However, the lines only last for 5-10 minutes then the screen quality is perfectly clear but i would still appreciate any help on what is causing it in the first place. (a faulty monitor can be ruled out because i connected the monitor to a laptop and there was no issue)

• 5 months later...

Same here on Samsung CF791, 34" 100hz. I leave my pc running 24/7 so I don't get it but I just left for a week and turned the damn thing off. Now I can't get rid of those fkn lines and the whole bottom is fucked. Such pieces of shit these gaming monitors, i paid like 700 EUR for this fkn dog. I'm gonna go to the nearest samsung center and throw the fucked thru their expensive big glass window, cunt motherfuckers, can't build a fucking display anymore. Pieces of shjitl;.

So, this is an overclocked display. Samsung sells it as 100hz while it can only do 60hz without bugs. Or, IT CAN ONLY DO 100HZ FOR 2 YEARS, just enough for the warranty to expire and you get the shaft. Nice job Samsung for scamming your users, selling overpriced POS. Samsung TV is the same, LG years ahead in the software. I will fuck one of your stores and beat up a random employee to get my 700 euros worth off. You fucked with the wrong psychopath.