9700k vs 8700k

I know the main difference is threads vs cores, but as someone who is streaming and playing a lot of games what processor would be the better bet? The difference in price doesn’t bother me. I am just trying to get the best I can get within the i7 family. I am coming from a 4670k that’s being bottlenecked by a 2080, so anything is really an improvement.

thanks!

1 minute ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

I know the main difference is threads vs cores, but as someone who is streaming and playing a lot of games what processor would be the better bet? The difference in price doesn’t bother me. I am just trying to get the best I can get within the i7 family. I am coming from a 4670k that’s being bottlenecked by a 2080, so anything is really an improvement.

thanks!

9700K is better in multi thread and in single thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Don't listen to Od1sseas....

Watch this : 

And this :

As you can see, the 9700k is better even in multi thread.

Eazy pick, get the newest, the best, the 9700k

Cheers

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Watch this : 

And this :

Cheers

He wants streaming. The extra threads on the i7 will be better

Edit: Also the i7 9700K has "better" multi and single core performance because it runs on a higher clock speed out the box, overclock both at the SAME clock speed and you got the SAME single core and multi core performance. Use your brain

Edited by Od1sseas

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

I know the main difference is threads vs cores, but as someone who is streaming and playing a lot of games what processor would be the better bet?

it depends on the particular game and application

from what I've seen games tend to favor more real cores over hyperthreading but again it really depends.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

The difference in price doesn’t bother me. I am just trying to get the best I can get within the i7 family. 

well it really should, because if you are paying 30% more for like 3% more performance then you aren't really making a very wise investment.

Also consider that if you want to delid the 8700K is the best choice

2 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

He wants streaming. The extra threads on the i7 will be better

Not really. SMT doesn't hold a candle to actual cores.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

thanks!

Are you in a rush? If the leaks are true, the Ryzen 3000 series will be worth the wait.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Not really. SMT doesn't hold a candle to actual cores.

Are you in a rush? If the leaks are true, the Ryzen 3000 series will be worth the wait.

I have been one of those trying to hold off till 10nm that’s why I still have a 4670k. I finally replace my graphics card with a 2080 and the bottle neck is real... my frames are about the same as with a 970. At this point I feel like I need to just get it done. I’m hearing it could be 2020 before 10nm drops now.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

I have been one of those trying to hold off till 10nm that’s why I still have a 4670k. I finally replace my graphics card with a 2080 and the bottle neck is real... my frames are about the same as with a 970. At this point I feel like I need to just get it done. I’m hearing it could be 2020 before 10nm drops now.

The 3000 series is coming in less than 2 months and it's 7nm. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

You'll get the high core counts and high clock speeds at a lower price.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

16 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Watch this : 

And this :

Cheers

I don't trust those benchmarks

1 minute ago, Od1sseas said:

The Ryzen 5 2600 performs MILES better in streaming compared to the i5 8600K becuase of SMT. So don't talk out of your ass and watch some benchmarks

https://youtu.be/GDggr3kt96Q?t=187

ofc, because they both have the same number of physical cores

but in this case you are comparing an 8 core to a 6 core with ht

Just now, Od1sseas said:

The Ryzen 5 2600 performs MILES better in streaming compared to the i5 8600K becuase of SMT. So don't talk out of your ass and watch some benchmarks

https://youtu.be/GDggr3kt96Q?t=187

LMAO that's comparing apples to oranges.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

LMAO that's comparing apples to oranges.

More threads are always better for streaming

Just now, Od1sseas said:

More threads are always better for streaming

It's better when you have the same architecture, core count, and clock speed.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

It's better when you have the same architecture, core count, and clock speed.

They both are in the same architecture, and both can run at the same clock speed and the i7 has MORE threads and that's why it's better for streaming

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 3000 series is coming in less than 2 months and it's 7nm. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

You'll get the high core counts and high clock speeds at a lower price.

Any ideas when it might be released ? it looks interesting

3 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

They both are in the same architecture, and both can run at the same clock speed and the i7 has MORE threads and that's why it's better for streaming

Yeah it's possible the 12 thread helps a bit but I think both CPU can handle OP's task easily... So I would probably pick the newest but I admint it sucks to take off hyperthreading in the most recent gen from Intel...

I hope the ryzen 3000 series will rush intel to release new things...

19 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

It has fewer cores. I'm not sure why that's so difficult for you to grasp.

15 hours ago, gbergeron said:

Any ideas when it might be released ? it looks interesting

If they follow the pattern they've set, then the different models should be released over the next few months, starting with the higher end models. They could always change things up, but either way it's starting January 2019.

20 hours ago, JohnnyFALLEN said:

thanks!

I should have asked this earlier, but is there a reason you aren't using the RTX 2080's built in encoder to stream? I haven't tried it myself but that was one of Turing's main features besides ray tracing.

I would take 9700K, more real cores and higer clocks stock, if overclocking is done you will need good mainboard like Z390 Aorus Elite/Pro from Gigabyte that has good VRM, check Buildzoids video on Z390 mainboards.

Bowth cpu's will do perfectly fine in this task.

Ryzen 3000 series should be coming May/June, if rumors are true.

I dont think i would be personally upgrading to Ryzen 3000 series since i have 8086k 5.35Ghz 1.4v.

"Game" : Work in Progress
"Work" : Threadripper 3970X | Gigabyte TRX40 Designare | 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB | Custom Loop | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC
Dell R710 NAS : 2 x X5660 Xeon | 96GB DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | 6 x 16TB Seagate Exos X16 | Dual 1TB Kingston NVMe as Cache | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Proxmox 

HP ML350P : 2 x Xeon E5 4650 | 128Gb DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | Quadro K6000 | 8 x Samsung SM1625 800Gb SSD | 240Gb Intel D3-S4610 Boot | Dual 1TB Samsung 970 Pro | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Dual 750W PSU

9 hours ago, SlowMixit said:

I would take 9700K, more real cores and higer clocks stock, if overclocking is done you will need good mainboard like Z390 Aorus Elite/Pro from Gigabyte that has good VRM, check Buildzoids video on Z390 mainboards.

Bowth cpu's will do perfectly fine in this task.

Ryzen 3000 series should be coming May/June, if rumors are true.

I dont think i would be personally upgrading to Ryzen 3000 series since i have 8086k 5.35Ghz 1.4v.

To upgrade or not depends on 2 things :

1- Budget

2- Need more performance ?

Now if your budget allows you to upgrade, and the next ryzen cpu offer 2X performance and 1.5X FPS in games ? Wil lyou upgrade ?

xD just speculating and having fun :P 

Dang, the salt is real :P

Anyway, I have an 8700K OCed to 5Ghz all cores (pretty much attainable by all 8700Ks) and I just force all my games to only use 4c8t and allocate the rest to streaming/recording. It works like a charm when I'm only doing those two things but if I'm watching youtube/twitch/etc or writing/editing spreadsheets at the same time it can chug occasionally. Also, since I only play at 1080p my 1070Ti maxes out at only 30-40% but the 8700K can keep up. If you get the 8700K any background tasks can be handled by the extra threads but any real work will have to be put on the real cores, which the 9700K has more of. Also, for gaming purposes, your resolution will play a big role, the higher the res, the less your cpu matters so if you will be playing at 4K you could save a buck and get Ryzen for those cores :) Hopefully this helps, cheers on your new build!

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 hour ago, ShadowChaser said:

Also, since I only play at 1080p my 1070Ti maxes out at only 30-40%

What do you mean ? it maxes what at 30-40% ? Do you mean the cpu usage is 30-40% and your gpu at 98-99-100% ?

Nvenc stream + 8600k, if you're a big streamer or someone who has the money get a capture card and a separate streaming pc for the bitrates.

I have a 9700K OC'ed to 5.1 Ghz vs one of my friends IRL who bought an 8086K several months ago and OC'ed it to the same speed. Compared to him I have noticed my 9700K performs better across the board in everything, from gaming to Premiere Pro. Streaming performance differential is extremely small though, either chip will excel.

That being said, the difference is pretty small but it's there. I can't really say it's worth the extra cost over the 8700K, but I got a decent deal on the chip for the cost of extra backorder time so I sprung for it.

Side note, originally wanted the 9900K but it was simply too much. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.