What games are a must play ?

HowToWasteMyTime

So i build my new pc 2 days ago and i want to play some games now. Thing is i dont know where to start haha. I havent had a good pc in years so i just stuck with CS:GO, League and Fortnite. Now i dont know where to start with games. There are so many. Was thinking about Titanfall 2 because i allways liked the game but could never play it, and its like 8€ now so yea haha. But what else did i miss in this years ? 

Imo portal 2

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, HowToWasteMyTime said:

There are so many.

And that's the issue. Game playing and enjoying are a highly personal issue. What I love, you may not, so trying to recommend you a game without knowing what you really like, will be difficult

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor/War,  Fallout 3,4, New Vegas, Skyrim, Subnautica.  The Bethesda titles (not FO76) allow for lots of modding which is half the fun of playing on PC.  Why just the other day, I downloaded a mod which made the Forsythia in FO4 red.  Red!

Minesweeper and spider solitaire!  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

If you want Titanfall 2 for the single player campaign then yes it's worth it, if you're buying for the multiplayer competitive scene though I don't think it's worth it.

The game already is fairly dead at this point, only the hardcore fans that will p3wn you fairly easy remains.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Im kinda more of a single player fan for the story. Only Multiplayer i like are the compettetive FPS games. Some games i love are Skyrim, God of War, Mafia, Shadow of Mordor, GTA V...and so on. The ones i dont like are Fallout games in general, Pay to win games, Horror games like Resident Evil, strategy games, jada jada jada...

On 12/8/2018 at 9:27 AM, HowToWasteMyTime said:

Some games i love are Skyrim, God of War, Mafia, Shadow of Mordor, GTA V...and so on.

2009 - Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty MW 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, F.E.A.R. 2, Prototype, DA Origins, Torchlight

2010 - ME 2, Fallout NV, Bioshock 2, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Alan Wake, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Mafia II, Vanquish, Metro 2033, Enslaved OttW

2011 - Skyrim, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Homefront, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Batman Arkham City, Brink, F.E.A.R. 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution

2012 - Diablo III, Far Cry 3, CS:GO, Call of Duty BO II, Syndicate, Hotline Miami, Max Payne 3, Kingdoms of Amular, The Darkness II, Legend of Grimlock

2013 - GTA 5, Battlefield 4, Warframe, Crysis 3, 7 Days To Die, Arma 3, Call of Duty Ghosts, State of Decay, Aliens CM, Call of Juarez Gunslinger

2014 - Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Dark Souls II, Divinity OS, Wolfenstein TNO, Alien Isolation, Vanishing of EC, Lords ot Fallen, DA Inquisition, Titanfall

2015 - The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Rocket League, Rainbow 6 Siege, Dying Light, Rise ot Tomb Raider, Batman AK, Axiom Verge, Mad Max, Just Cause 3

2016 - Battlefield 1, The Division, Far Cry Primal, Watch Dogs 2, Paladins, Dark Souls III, Doom 2016, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Witness, Firewatch

2017 - Shadow of War, Cuphead, Wolfenstein II TNC, Assassins Creed O, Call of Duty WWII, Hellblade SS, Sniper Elite 4, ARK SE, RE 7, ME Andromeda

2018 - House Flipper, Ni No Kuni II, MegaMan 11, Celeste, Subnautica(2014 early access), Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Dark Souls Remastered

These are your best bets. Titles in green are free and a great start. Titles in orange are my must plays. Everything else, try to pick up on major sales. Next major sale is on December 20. MAKE SURE you pick up Subnautica at the Epic Games Store on December 14. Another great title and excellent start to PC gaming. It's never been free anywhere that I have known of so you are in great timing. It's normally $19.99(sometimes $9.99) on sale or $24.99 as an everyday price.

Must play games? I think @A Random Dude did a pretty good thread killer.

My personal choices for must-play games would be at least :

• Battlefield 3/4
  • Skyrim
  • Grand Theft Auto IV/V
  • CS:GO
  • League of Legends
  • One of the Modern Warfare series
  • One of the older Assassin's Creed series (Anything below AC4, not the spin-offs)

Some other games that are must-plays, but console exclusives are God of War and any Ratchet and Clank except size matters.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Rpg: final fantasy 7 (1997)

Action / musical: nier automata 

then you will hate other pc games

9 hours ago, Underi said:

console exclusives are God of War and any Ratchet and Clank

You do know these games are not console exclusives right?

Now if you are referring to both remakes of the games, they'll be playable on PC in a year or two.

9 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Rpg: final fantasy 7 (1997)

Action / musical: nier automata 

then you will hate other pc games

I was slightly disappointed by nier automata, the controls on PC are just awful. 

11 hours ago, Underi said:

Must play games? I think @A Random Dude did a pretty good thread killer.

treads like these should be killed ;) 

29 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

treads like these should be killed ;)

What do you mean by this? I don't feel that I killed the thread, I just focused on around 10 games per year for the past decade. I definitely left out dozens of must play games from the past 10 years, especially from this year. And I'm glad to see that people are adding them to this thread. I only came up with 6 from this year because I haven't played many games from this year. Not sure if that's because 2018 hasn't been the greatest year for gaming or the fact that I almost always wait for price drops before obtaining games. $64.00 a pop just isn't within reason for a price for any video game. It's easy to get at least 50% off on new console games within a week of their release but for some reason it's not so easy to do that for PC games. 

On 12/8/2018 at 5:40 PM, A Random Dude said:

snip

No Dark Souls?

No Overwatch?

No Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP?

The Division is a must play?

Far Cry Primal is being recommended?

CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS IS A MUST PLAY?

My recommended games would be

CoD 4: MW

CoD MW2

CoD Nazi Zombies

Minecraft

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 3

Skyrim

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

GTA V

GTA San Andreas

Cuphead

Furi 

Celeste

MGSV : TPP

Goldeneye (N64 emulator)

Trackmania

TF2

DOOM (2016)

Rocket League

AC Black Flag

Dishonored

Far Cry 3

From the Depths

Absolute Drift (if its on sale)

Civilization 5

Portal 2 

HL 2

Left 4 Dead 2

SuperHot

Enter the Gungeon

Titanfall(2) is good but kinda dead IMO

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

1 hour ago, A Random Dude said:

What do you mean by this? I don't feel that I killed the thread

I used Underi's words here. On questions like this there should be a generic answer that boils down to naming the years best in every category.. not a I love this game or I love that game :D 

3 hours ago, The_Stig said:

No Dark Souls?

I didn't play the original Dark Souls. However, I do own the remastered version and I must say, it's a must play if you've never played the original. Ty for pointing this out, I will now add it(edit it in) to my 2018 titles above.

No Overwatch?

I left it off for two reasons. One, I've barely played it, and two, I've played much more Paladins. So from my experience only, Paladins is a must play. I'm not saying Overwatch isn't a must play game, I guess I'm saying that if Overwatch had been the free game and Paladins was the paid game, this would have been the other way around. I just so happen to play Paladins more because it's free to play. Both feel pretty much the same to me but like I said, I haven't played Overwatch enough to determine that in it's entirety. One of the main reasons I recommend Paladins as a must play is not only because it's free but just like Overwatch, it is such a breeze to run, even in 4k.

No Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP?

Probably because I have not played through the entire game. I'm about an hour or so into it. I will say that it is definitely a great game and I look forward to investing more time into it. Another reason may be because of the 2015 releases. I mean, just look at them. 2015 was an excellent year for gaming. I might could have left off Just Cause 3 and put in MGS TPP in its place but I just so happen to have put more time into JC3. It's very possible for me to like MGS TPP more than JC3 eventually but as of right now, I really can't say. 

The Division is a must play?

You better believe it. It's one of the few games that I overlooked for a good year or so that I definitely should not have overlooked. One of the few games that once you actually get into it, it sucks you in and you cannot stop playing it. I hit 40 hours in less than a week once I finally got into it. Now once you do reach around that many hours, sure, the game does become a bit of a grind. However, what I experienced in those 40 hours is just something that must be experienced by other gamers. This is my opinion anyway. Every single shot I shoot in that game just makes the game for me. In those first 40 hours that is. And the game is beautiful. And the PC version has definitely been fixed from what I heard was once a buggy mess. The frame rate is also soooo much better than on console. Zero regrets on paying $9.00 for the PC version after putting in 40 hours on Xbox One. I also bought that DLC skin pack with the fire fighter skin and that orange skin and two others for like $0.89 when it was on sale. I do feel that I regret not buying all the other DLC in general like the Underground and those other two game modes because it was only like $3-$6 more at the time for all of them combined. I say this because that price never comes about anymore. I think it was like $14 for everything and $9 for the base game and I went with the base game. Should have snagged it. Maybe Xmas will have the DLC cheap or at least one of them because the base game is at that point where everything is a grind. At least I have kept the Dark Zone fresh. Only been in there twice so far.

Far Cry Primal is being recommended?

What's wrong with Far Cry Primal? Now I haven't put tons of hours into it but it definitely seems much more interesting in the beginning than other Far Cry games. Except for maybe the beginning of Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon. The beginning of Blood Dragon might just be a must play experience imo. That 80's feel and SOUNDTRACK. Nothing like it.

CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS IS A MUST PLAY?

YES. The MP anyway. The campaign is nothing special but every single thing about every MP aspect of COD Ghosts is a must play. The BOTS especially. To this day I still play with bots because it's one of the very few games where playing with bots is insanely similar to playing with real people. You can change them to multiple difficulties and you can play with 17 bots every game. With COD Ghosts being pretty much dead on PC, you can jump into ALL game modes with bots and it's basically a fully populated 24/7 lobby. Now what does suck is not being able to play extinction with bots. Extinction imo is much better than zombies with other COD games(now I haven't played them all). The amount of hours it provides is basically additional game play. And oh my, the kill strikes in MP or with bots. They are awesome and different than other COD games. Also, 16 maps to play on. AND... you get to unlock all gun and character skins and attachments playing against bots. The amount of things involved with Ghosts makes it a must play game imo. I mean, who wouldn't want to BE Predator in a video game with the heat signature and claw and laser bombs? Who wouldn't want to be Michael Myers and kill everyone in sight?

Oh and you can have the voice of your commander or whatever be Snoop!!!(as heard in this video). There's other voices too, can't remember them right now. Listen to the sounds of being Predator though. Identical to the sounds from the movie. About the only downside of Ghosts is probably how long it takes to get used to the game. It took me around 25-40 hours for the game to be in the "must play" territory. Or to be able compete with other people in general. Takes a LOT to get used to, this is certain. In fact, I did NOT like COD Ghosts in the first 10-20 hours of playing it online. I felt as if I would never get used to it. Boy did that change.

Great must play list additions you have there. Furi is a very overlooked game. And as for Goldeneye 64, you should try Goldeneye source for PC. You install it manually through Steam. It brings back so many N64 Goldeneye memories. Used to play that game everyday for years.

8 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I was slightly disappointed by nier automata, the controls on PC are just awful. 

this is a problem with square enix for many years, you must have a controller to enjoy its game. and every game has a totally different game system even in same series so players must start from zero, fun and frustrated

8 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is a problem with square enix for many years, you must have a controller to enjoy its game. and every game has a totally different game system even in same series so players must start from zero, fun and frustrated

I have to say that I absolutely adored Nier Automata.. ofcourse with ports you can expect to use a controller... I would almost say that even a controller belongs to the p.c. gamers basics... if you really want to enjoy sims ( plane, chopper ) racegames or the multitude of action rpg's/hack and slash and even the occasional strategy game I really feel you should own one :D 

17 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

You do know these games are not console exclusives right?

Yes, I do know of the existence of emulators, but officially they are only available on a console. I've tried Gladiators (Deadlocked) and Going Commando on my pc with PCSX2 and the textures were broken. Much rather just play on my PS2.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

3 hours ago, Underi said:

but officially they are only available on a console.

This is a false statement. Officially, they are also available on PC. 

3 hours ago, Underi said:

I've tried Gladiators (Deadlocked) and Going Commando on my pc with PCSX2 and the textures were broken. Much rather just play on my PS2.

Is it because the textures were broken that you'd rather play on your PS2? What if you fixed those broken textures, would you much rather play it on PC then?

They play just fine on PC. Fixes are in the comments of the Going Commando video. You just have to play around with the settings(just as you would a PC game).

Here are a *few* more of my favorites.

Spoiler
  • Creeper World 3**
  • FTL Faster Than Light**(add mods)
  • Half-Life 2**
  • Rimworld**
  • Terraria**
  • The Binding of Isaac**
  • Thomas Was Alone**
  • Undertale**
  • Castle Crashers
  • Trackmania** (Just Stadium / Canyon, not Turbo. It also has a large multiplayer component.)
  • Witcher 3**
  • Cave Story +**
  • Inside
  • Heavy Rain**
  • Fahrenheit / Ingido Prophecy**
  • Beyond Two Souls**
  • LA Noir**
  • Besiege
  • Cluster Truck
  • Don't Starve
  • Factorio
  • Hotline Miami
  • Kingdom
  • Limbo
  • Only If
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Prison Architect
  • Quake 3
  • Risk of Rain
  • SpelunkySD
  • Stardew Valley
  • Super Meat Boy
  • The Beginner's Guide
  • The Escapists
  • The Forest
  • West of Loathing**
  • Into The Breach
  • Gods Will Be Watching**
  • Bleed / Bleed 2
  • Doom / Doom 2
  • Democracy 3
  • SuperHot
  • They Are Billions
  • Sid Meyers Civ 5**
  • Firewatch
  • Grim Fandango**
  • Fran Bow**
  • No Time To Explain
  • PolyBridge
  • Subnautica
  • Year Walk
  • Minecraft**
  • Dark Souls
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Celeste
  • Portal 2**
  • Half life / Half Life 2**
  • Superhot
  • Skyrim**
  • Borderlands
  • Alan Wake
  • Metro 2033
  • The Witcher 3
  • Sniper Elite

** I really recommend based off of story and/or gameplay

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/