December 7, 2018 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Main News Topics

Leak: Ryzen 3000

Source 1: Deus Voltage https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1004117-ryzen-3000-leaks/

Source 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/9c0646/this_is_a_big_deal_ryzen_3000_going_to_be_on_tsmc/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=3030a888cb0a4faeaa133613909932c1&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=9c0646

• Details about the next generation of AMD Ryzen processors have leaked!

• Ryzen1000 and 2000 were built using Samsung’s 14nm low power process.

• this caused the 4 GHz hard cap on clock speed, making Zen1 and Zen+ 15-25% slower than Core

• Zen2 is made on TSMC’s 7nm High Performance process

• 13% boost in clocks compared to Low Power’s 4.6GHz

• This would put Ryzen3000 over 5GHz

• 15% IPC improvement along with 8c per CCX and faster memory/IF speeds

• If you consider:

• 15% IPC uplift + 15% improvement in clock speed =30% increase in IPS.

• the spectre/meltdown/foreshadow hardware fixes will hit Intel 10% harder than Ryzen.

• Then it is possible Ryzen3000 will be >10% faster than Core in single threaded workloads (according to Reddit/r/AMDstock)

CS:GO is now free, gets Battle Royale

Source 1: Princess Cadence https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005053-valve-updates-csgo-battle-royale-incoming/

Source 2: http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2018/12/21519/

• CS:GO is now free to play, and all players who played before the update will receive a commemorative Loyalty Badge they can display on their profile. Additionally, all existing CS:GO players have had their accounts upgraded to Prime Status.

• Prime Status matches you with other Prime Status players.

• gives you a special gun and the Danger Zone Case.

• Danger Zone Case features 17 community-designed weapon finishes, and the Horizon knives as rare special items

• There’s also a Battle Royale game mode called Danger Zone

• matches each last about 10 minutes

• You get a bit more health than normal

• Play solo, or work together as a squad of two or three

• you’re dropped into an ever-shrinking map called the Blacksite

• and need to hunt for guns and equipment.

• Drones also send down packages t

• in addition to fighting to the death, you can also take on missions and rescue hostages on your way around the map to earn a cash bonus when the game is over.

OnePlus CEO tells the truth about 5G

Source 1: Dr.Macintosh https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005321-oneplus-ceo-tells-the-truth-about-5g/

Source 2: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/18128194/oneplus-5g-phone-pete-lau-interview-qualcomm-snapdragon-855-technology-summit

• At the Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit in Maui, OnePlus CEO Pete Lau said his company is working on both a new 5G OnePlus phone and 4G phones in parallel, and that he expects his 5G phone will likely cost $200 to $300 more.

• That might not be the case for all new 5G smartphones, though.

• Some OEMs will try to monetize their existing customer base as much as they can (high price)

• While some will try to gain market share by offering a low price

• One of challenge will be building 5G phones for multiple cellular carriers that operate on different frequencies.

• Lau expects it’ll be even more difficult to take a phone from one carrier to another with 5G than it was for 4G

• the company says it hasn’t yet seen a solution that would cover many different carriers around the world.

• “5G will be particularly difficult to have a device that covers all of the world, or even most of the world’s networks,”

• OnePlus’s 5G phone is targeting just one type of 5G network — the slower-speeds-but-wider-coverage-area “sub-6” spectrum used by EE, its first carrier partner in Europe

• In the US, AT&T and Verizon are focusing on the faster ‘millimeter wave’

• “On the product level, it’s much more complex than 4G, so a significantly higher level of challenge, especially millimeter wave,”

• “It appears impossible to make a nice-looking flagship device, for now.”

LTX 2019!

• July 27th, 28th, 2019

• Vancouver Convention Centre

• Going to be bigger, and better

• HUGE stage, more creators, more activities, more computers, AND a BYOC setup and larger LAN area

• Also, we’re announcing a HUGE partnership for next year’s event - we’re partnering with DreamHack

• More information coming soon, make sure to keep up to date with the blogs we’ll be posting to our ltxexpo dot com website, and through social

What’s Coming Out on Floatplane? Go Over Current Week.

Rapid Fire

Huawei CFO arrested in Vancouver

Source 1: carpentry2010 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1004652-huawei-cfo-arrested/

Source 2: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-huawei-arrest-cfo-1.4934269

• Working on behalf of US officials, Canadian authorities arrested Meng Wanzhou, Huawei’s chief financial officer and deputy chair of the board- and daughter of the company’s founder.

• Meng was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday while transferring flights at YVR and is being sought for extradition by the United States.

• A bail hearing was set for Friday (today)

• She faces charges in "the Eastern District of New York."

• Meng was granted a publication ban which prevents the department from releasing further details about the arrest.

• U.S. authorities have been probing Huawei since at least 2016 on allegations that it shipped U.S.-derived tech products to Iran and other countries in violation of U.S. export and sanctions laws

Walmart PC Fiasco

Source 1: Spotty https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1003656-wallmart-kills-overpowered-prebuilt-pcs-update-theyre-back-now-with-a-400-discount/

Source 2:

• Walmart releases Overpowered PCs

• Reviewers slam them

• The PCs disappear from the online store

• They later reappear discounted $200-$400

PewDiePie fans hack Sonos speakers

Source 1: kennymccormick https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005272-pewdiepie-fans-strike-yet-again-sonos-speakers-hacked/

Source 2:

• PewDiePie fans have targeted people whose network settings have left their devices exposed to the internet, culminating in people’s Sonos speakers playing an audio track instructing them to subscribe to PewDiePie.

• The track plays on startup and at random other times

• Comment on Sonos support:

• “I had to just unplug all my Sonos speakers, the prank was waking me up all night. I got so frustrated I almost broke one of my speakers! I don’t know how to stop it. Feels like someone keeps breaking in my house! I really don’t know what to do, so I’m using Alexa for my speakers now. The prank is also getting louder.”

• Sonos says the attack isn’t confined to Sonos and that the vulnerability is due to misconfigured networks.

AlphaZero learns human intuition and creativity

Source 1: Master Disaster https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005094-googles-deepmind-alphazero-chess-ai-is-apparently-learning-itself-human-intuition-and-creativity/

Source 2: http://macdailynews.com/2018/12/07/deepminds-alphazero-now-showing-human-like-intuition-and-creativity-in-historical-turning-point-for-ai/

Source 3: https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/06/google-deepmind-alphazero-chess-shogi-go/

• DeepMind’s artificial intelligence programme AlphaZero is now showing signs of human-like intuition and creativity, in what developers have hailed as ‘turning point’ in history

• Last year, the system mastered chess from scratch within just four hours, despite not being programmed how to win.

• But now, after a year of testing and analysis by chess grandmasters, the machine has developed a new style of play unlike anything ever seen before, suggesting the programme is now improvising like a human.

• Unlike the world’s best chess machine – Stockfish – which calculates millions of possible outcomes as it plays, AlphaZero learns from its past successes and failures, making its moves based on, a ‘nebulous sense that it is all going to work out in the long run,’ according to experts at DeepMind.”

• Forthcoming book by two chess champions who painstakingly reviewed AlphaZero’s nearly 1,000 chess games:

• “Traditional engines are exceptionally strong and make few obvious mistakes, but can drift when faced with positions with no concrete and calculable solution …

• Impressively, [AlphaZero] manages to impose its style of play across a very wide range of positions and openings,”

• “It’s precisely in such positions where ‘feeling’, ‘insight’ or ‘intuition’ is required that AlphaZero comes into its own. AlphaZero plays like a human on fire. It’s a very beautiful style.”

Amazon robot sprays workers with bear mace, 24 sent to hospital

Source 1: Synaxvgm https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1004972-amazon-robot-sprays-workers-with-bear-mace-24-sent-to-hospital/

Source 2: https://abcnews.go.com/US/24-amazon-workers-hospital-bear-repellent-accident/story?id=59625712

• Twenty-four Amazon workers in New Jersey have been hospitalized after a robot accidentally accidentally punctured a 9-ounce bear repellent can in a warehouse

• One was in critical condition while 30 additional workers were treated at the scene.

• All of the workers were expected to be released from the hospital within 24 hours

iPhone XR Wins Best Single Camera Award

Source 1: DrMacintosh https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005348-iphone-xr-wins-best-single-camera-award/

Source 2: https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-xr-camera-review/

• In a test performed by DxOMark, Apple’s budget-friendly iPhone earned the best overall score for any smartphone that has one lens.

• Don’t get too excited:

• “It just surpasses the Google Pixel 2 for still photos, with marginally better noise-versus-texture results, and significantly fewer artifacts. Both devices achieve the same overall score for video.”

• The iPhone XR offers a single-cam solution, as opposed to the dual-cam setup of the XS models.

• Specs

• 12Mp 1/2.55″ sensor with 1.4µm pixel pitch,

• a 26mm f/1.8 aperture lens with optical image stabilization, phase-detection autofocus, and a dual-tone LED flash.

• the XR comes with the same software features as the XS models

• for example, when shooting stills, the camera continuously captures a multi-frame buffer at different exposures, allowing for simultaneous zero shutter lag and HDR processing.

• Therefore the latest iPhones can display HDR images in real time, making for a true “what you see is what you get” preview image.

Qualcomm announces laptop CPU to compete with i5

Source 1: GoodBytes https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1005042-qualcomm-announces-its-first-actual-laptop-cpu-snapdragon-8cx-core-i5-performance/

Source 2: https://www.neowin.net/news/the-snapdragon-8cx-is-the-first-7nm-pc-chip-built-to-compete-with-core-i5-on-windows-10

• Qualcomm has announced the Snapdragon 8cx, its third chipset for Windows 10.

• Unlike the Snapdragon 835 and 850 before it, the 8cx isn't derivative of a mobile SoC; this is built from the ground up for PCs.

• The firm says that the performance is on par with 15w Intel Core i5 single threaded performance.

• The CPU

• includes eight Kryo 495 cores, which are built on a 7nm architecture

• has a larger cache at 10MB than previous generations, which should allow for faster multitasking.

• “the Snapdragon 8cx will allow our customers to offer a powerful computing experience of multi-day battery life and multi-gigabit connectivity, in new thin, light and fanless design for consumers and the enterprise.”

• support for Quick Charge 4+

•             supports USB 3.1 Gen 2

• no direct support for Thunderbolt 3, as that's an Intel thing

• PCs with the new Compute Platform are expected to ship in the third quarter of 2019

2nd gotta love it!

9 hours ago, LinusTech said:
  • Ryzen1000 and 2000 were built using Samsung’s 14nm low power process.

• this caused the 4 GHz hard cap on clock speed, making Zen1 and Zen+ 15-25% slower than Core

• Zen2 is made on TSMC’s 7nm High Performance process

• 13% boost in clocks compared to Low Power’s 4.6GHz

• This would put Ryzen3000 over 5GHz

• 15% IPC improvement along with 8c per CCX and faster memory/IF speeds 

• If you consider:

• 15% IPC uplift + 15% improvement in clock speed =30% increase in IPS.

• the spectre/meltdown/foreshadow hardware fixes will hit Intel 10% harder than Ryzen.

• Then it is possible Ryzen3000 will be >10% faster than Core in single threaded workloads (according to Reddit/r/AMDstock) 

Interesting

9 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Vancouver Convention Centre

Nice! Much better venue L-man. Must cost a pretty penny, oh wait there are no more pennies.

Simple fact is more people will come now since its a better venue.

Must say never been in there, stumbled by it countless times. So close to Wastings and Pain, oh no no I meant Hastings and Main. How high are the disease ridden needles now?

Gastown is nice with that statue. New, cash in while you can, digs is only blocks away from Pacific Rim hotel, can literally crawl there and no one would bat an eyelash.

BLOW THE BUDGET!! WOOOO!!!

Edit: Convention being open overnight feels like hackathons now. Have you considered having like a 24hr hackathon?

Also how will security be handled and who can leave/enter? Is there going to be a cameraman staying up as late as possible to catch the vibes then? Will there be more videos in general than last year?

Edit: Regarding the Intel 10nm discussion. Yeah, the performance increase might stop for a time. That is why there is ongoing research into other elements but the research I think that will prove useful more recently is FPGA design integration. Intel bought FPGA company Altera a while ago. My profs never stopped talking about it. And one thing that was made evident was HOW hardware tech works faster than anything software can come up with. So imagine a CPU that didn't need so many dedicated hardware implementations like x264 encoding. There is x265 now and 5-10 years later something else. A new HDMI spec will come out. So imagine having multiple small FPGA chips that can on the fly change into whatever spec you need. The CPU would need fast communication and the FPGA implementation would need to be worked on. But imagine a phone that can upgrade its hardware like it was a software update.

This could theoretically increase performance a significant amount provided a ton of factors are resolved and lets not even get into standardizing it all. But that is where my profs said we are headed. I have to agree with them seeing how far away silicons replacement could possibly be. Right now AMD is playing the more core more power game. Which is awesome. Some of that communication advancement could transfer over to FPGA work, maybe. But Intel has tons of other research that hasn't been known to public. And while I agree AMD in next 2-3 years is going to be huge, Intel has options lined up even if 10nm doesn't work out. It's just a matter of what comes to consumers first at that point, which hopefully is in the next 5 years so I can get a job in it.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

2 hours ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

8 hours ago, Nicnac said:

Wow there must be an international WAN party that I was not invited to. I feel so left out that I am not able to waste my time doing that, but waste my time here. Luckily I am currently multi-tasking as I usually do. Feel good when ya can wake up before noon, well yeah it was 11:55am. Hey thats what happens when one goes to sleep at 6am. ?

I have no idea what CS:GO is, I always read about it, its just not my jug of beer.

As for the Amazon beer mace incident, if the employee's were smart they should milk it for all its worth. Any injury lawyer can bring up the average settlement through court records no doubt about that. Claim long lasting repercussions, afraid to work now. Milk it! ?

That rewind discussion was so pointless lol.

Excuse me, there is more to Linus' pointlessness then rewind discussion.

Insert silly face here for maximum shilling!

17 hours ago, LinusTech said:

this caused the 4 GHz hard cap on clock speed

17 hours ago, LinusTech said:

compared to Low Power’s 4.6GHz 

Alright I think I have a problem with the Math from the Ryzen bit. I do not believe that :

15% IPC uplift + 15% improvement in clock speed =30% increase in IPS.

Lets look at some fake numbers, easy ones to make the math easier. Let's say we start off with 100 IPC and 100 Hz clock. If you increase the IPC by 15% you have 115 IPC, then increasing the clock by 15% gives you 115 IPC x (100Hz x 1.15) =  13,225 IPS, this is a 32.25% increase in IPS. 

I know this is a little improvement but I just wanted it to be clear that you can't just add together these numbers. If it was 60% IPS and 60% clock you would have an improvement of 1.60 * 1.60 = 2.56 -> 156% not 60% + 60% = 120%.

Hope this clears it up, the Ryzen gains are actually better then you might have expected (but not by much)

14 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Excuse me, there is more to Linus' pointlessness then rewind discussion.

Insert silly face here for maximum shilling!

it was kinda funny cause the tl;dr was like:

Luke: ... so there's some controversy about this year's rewind

Linus: Oh yea I don't watch youtube

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

"something conventions haven't done in a long time and it's actually really cool"

2 words Anime North, granted I think they only did overnight gaming once, but ended in disaster due to a few irresponsible people and some classic consoles being destroyed/stolen, now they only do videos. The TCC has to close its doors due to merchandise and security reasons.

it was kinda funny cause the tl;dr was like:

Luke: ... so there's some controversy about this year's rewind

Linus: Oh yea I don't watch youtube

I hope everyone realizes that most of its staged, and to feed his audience "buzz" or "drama" is always an instinct.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I hope everyone realizes that most of its staged, and to feed his audience "buzz" or "drama" is always an instinct.

It seems legit tho that Linus isn't someone who would waste his time on youtube like we do :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I can't find antyhing on the forum for the wan show December 14th.

I really like everything about your chanell, but can you please stop eating that savage jerky shit on the show? It's ok to advertise for it and all, If you are eating, mute the microphone plz!!! Talking with your face full of food is really annoying.