Would it be a bad idea to record on multiple mics?

iKingRPG
Go to solution Solved by AAJoe,

Success @iKingRPG - you CAN plug in two wireless ModMics into the same PC. Then using Voicemeeter Banana I set each as a hardware input, then a virtual output. Using Audacity I was able to set the virtual output as the "mic" - thus creating two mics on a single PC.

Probably works with other mics as well, I don't expect the wireless added anything special to the process :)

Edit: I am also told OBS can do this by another staffer here :)

I have this bad habit when recording videos of moving away from my blue yeti nano(especially live streams since i can't increase gain). Should I get a couple cheap mics from fifine or something or one of those cheap on body ones and combined the audio or will that ruin quality or make echos or something? I use obs. Thabks

You could certainly use more than one mic, but you wouldn't want to "combine" them, just use whichever sounds best at that moment. Accidentally move away from the blue yeti? Use the clip on mic audio for that portion. You'd probably need to apply a few filters to get them to sound the same or similar.  

3 hours ago, corrado33 said:

You could certainly use more than one mic, but you wouldn't want to "combine" them, just use whichever sounds best at that moment. Accidentally move away from the blue yeti? Use the clip on mic audio for that portion. You'd probably need to apply a few filters to get them to sound the same or similar.  

I know I can switch which mic when editing, but my problem is with streaming, and I can't just keep switching scenes in obs. Or should I just buy a headset either a good mic? The problem is I can't put things like pop filters and stuff then.

1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

I know I can switch which mic when editing, but my problem is with streaming. Or should I just buy a headset either a good mic? The problem is I can't put things like pop filters and stuff then.

There are certainly good quality headset mics that will certainly accept a pop filter. :)

Just now, corrado33 said:

There are certainly good quality headset mics that will certainly accept a pop filter. :)

Ok but one more thing. Should I combine them if I am using 2 mics the same? Because if there are 2 people next to each other they pick up each other's voice. For example:

Person A's mic picks up his voice and a little bit of Person B's voice

Person B's voice picks up a bit of A's voice along with theirs.

Three options:

You'd need two good headset style mics (like ModMics, lol) and dial them in so Mic A isn't picking up the person using Mic B. To make this work you ideally will have a mixer for the two mics.

OR you'd use a shotgun style overhead mic on a mounting arm like you see in movies/tv

OR, depending on your situation and facing, you could potentially get away with a single desktop mic positioned evenly between the two of you, like you sometimes see in podcasts.

For your personal problem originally stated, I really would consider our product as that solves your moving around issue entirely. We also just launched a wireless product that produces true 16bit 48khz audio. Not too shabby ;).

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

51 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

Three options:

You'd need two good headset style mics (like ModMics, lol) and dial them in so Mic A isn't picking up the person using Mic B. To make this work you ideally will have a mixer for the two mics.

OR you'd use a shotgun style overhead mic on a mounting arm like you see in movies/tv

OR, depending on your situation and facing, you could potentially get away with a single desktop mic positioned evenly between the two of you, like you sometimes see in podcasts.

For your personal problem originally stated, I really would consider our product as that solves your moving around issue entirely. We also just launched a wireless product that produces true 16bit 48khz audio. Not too shabby ;).

Wow, i will definitely look into your products. you seem to have good stuff. are you talking about the modmic wireless? thanks

Yeah, I was talking about the ModMic Wireless as a potential solution. I ... don't think you can plug two into the same PC... just as a heads up. Nor should you be able to pair two of them to the same receiver... though I'll test it today. It's never come up before! (Hey it's a new product!)

Edit: Nope, you certainly can't pair two to the same receiver from any tests I have run.

Success @iKingRPG - you CAN plug in two wireless ModMics into the same PC. Then using Voicemeeter Banana I set each as a hardware input, then a virtual output. Using Audacity I was able to set the virtual output as the "mic" - thus creating two mics on a single PC.

Probably works with other mics as well, I don't expect the wireless added anything special to the process :)

Edit: I am also told OBS can do this by another staffer here :)