had to open the garden entrance

had to turn on ventilation fan

and ye

by mistake

once i put the popcorn in the microwave for 1 min and i got buttery-ass results

someone teach me how to make popcorn 

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

usually i just put it in the microwave and press potato and then after like 2 and a half mins i open up the microwave

it's kinda careless but it works (not sure if it does though bc i haven't made it since about august)

i dont microwave anything nowadays, for popcorn i just pour a small pool of oil, put some sugar in with the corns, gentle stir them using chopsticks with a small flame. when it starts popping cover the wok and hold it in air while turn the flame to max, slowly shake it for even heating. turn off the fire when it slows down.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I recently bought a Whirley Pop, which is a fancy name for a pot that sits on the stove that has a built in spinning thing inside (it’s not electric or anything, you crank a handle). 

This thing is awesome. You add in some coconut oil (preferred oil for popcorn but many other oils work too), add in some Flavacol (this is the butter flavoured salt used to make actual movie theatre popcorn). 

Toss in your kernels and spin the fucker like it owes you money. 

Finding the sweet spot with ingredient ratios is the hard part but once you nail it, it’s actually just like movie theatre popcorn. 

In terms of microwave popcorn? Simple. Turn it on, wait until the popping almost stops (I usually stop when it gets to one pop every second or two) and you’re done. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

there's usually instructions on the bag

No one can tell me how to live my life thank you

When I was little, we had a crappy microwave and had to put the popcorn in for 5 minutes.  Now, I just hit the popcorn button on the microwave and let it go.

you put it in, set the timer for 4min and wait untill there is 3s between the pops and then you take it out. thats how i have been taught how to make them and it seems to work fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Microwave popcorn is bad for you because of the butter flavor coating on the inside of the bag.

I make my home popcorn with an actual electric popcorn popper I bought on Amazon a few years ago, and it always turns out delicious. And you can add any flavor you want, to either have the OG buttery flavor to a sweet flavor, or even pepper or sriracha (friend IRL loves that).

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:48 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

i did that and the bag started burning

steam went out the microwave

and ye

by mistake

I came to look at pictures and was disappointed.

Well no shit, I wouldn't expect any less. Didn't you read the instructions?? For me, the popcorn button usually does the trick anyways.

I use Arch btw

13 hours ago, Phentos said:

Microwave popcorn is bad for you because of the butter flavor coating on the inside of the bag.

I make my home popcorn with an actual electric popcorn popper I bought on Amazon a few years ago, and it always turns out delicious. And you can add any flavor you want, to either have the OG buttery flavor to a sweet flavor, or even pepper or sriracha (friend IRL loves that).

Yeah i've heard that too. But you can just read it on the packet, and i've found some products which don't have that stuff in them , only 3 ingridients: popcorn, coconut oil and salt.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Sounds like someone didn't RTFI on the packaging. This is how we get Darwin awards winners.

Just make some yourself on the stovetop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 12/8/2018 at 7:27 PM, Phentos said:

To be clear, Microwave Popcorn "butter" isn't bad for you to consume. It's bad to inhale the fumes.

Some factory workers may have issues, since they're exposed to the fumes all day, every day.

There was also one guy that (I believe) died, due to the butter... buuuuuut he also ate Microwave popcorn literally every day, possibly more than once per day.

That guy was fucked anyway - no one can survive on Popcorn (Microwave or not) for every day for their entire lives.

12 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah i've heard that too. But you can just read it on the packet, and i've found some products which don't have that stuff in them , only 3 ingridients: popcorn, coconut oil and salt.

Kinds that only have those 3 ingredients don't taste like butter. Coconut oil is "somewhat buttery" in flavour. But only very vaguely - and with the amount used, you likely wouldn't taste it at all.

Best to add your own butter, with those tasteless products.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 12/7/2018 at 11:28 PM, handymanshandle said:

there's usually instructions on the bag

Following instructions on the bag is how the fire alarms went off when I was in college at least once of month. Seriously, they either say 2 minutes or 5 minutes, it's stupid. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:34 PM, corrado33 said:

Put it in the microwave until the average time between pops is more than like 5-6 seconds. 

Less than a second. By that time, typically you'll be burning the ones that popped first. A 80% full bag is better than a half burnt bag. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Sounds like someone didn't RTFI on the packaging. This is how we get Darwin awards winners.

Just make some yourself on the stovetop.

Dude threw like two cups of corn into the pot and when the close up shot came... there's like nothing!

He's a f@#$ing magician!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

27 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Following instructions on the bag is how the fire alarms went off when I was in college at least once of month. Seriously, they either say 2 minutes or 5 minutes, it's stupid. 

Less than a second. By that time, typically you'll be burning the ones that popped first. A 80% full bag is better than a half burnt bag. 

You're right. I haven't actually made popcorn in years. (Don't like the kernels in my teeth.) I think the instructions used to say a second or two. 5-6 seconds is too much.

13 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Maybe it's different where you live, but here, the instructions typically say 2 to 5 minutes. Not 2 or 5 minutes.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Maybe it's different where you live, but here, the instructions typically say 2 to 5 minutes. Not 2 or 5 minutes.

I've had bags that say 1-2 minutes, I've had bags that say 3:30-4 minutes, and I've had bags that say 5 minutes. All of those will pop in about 2.5 minutes on a 1100 watt microwave. All but the first will burn in that time, the first wont be done popping. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

26 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I've had bags that say 1-2 minutes, I've had bags that say 3:30-4 minutes, and I've had bags that say 5 minutes. All of those will pop in about 2.5 minutes on a 1100 watt microwave. All but the first will burn in that time, the first wont be done popping. 

Oh yes definitely different products will have different ranges. My point is that a popcorn bag will never instruct you to do one time OR another time. It'll always be a range.

And of course popping time depends largely on the microwave's power.

Keep in mind that instructions are always guidelines. On a 1100 Watt Microwave, I find 2-ish minutes is a good sweet spot.

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh yes definitely different products will have different ranges. My point is that a popcorn bag will never instruct you to do one time OR another time. It'll always be a range.

And of course popping time depends largely on the microwave's power.

Keep in mind that instructions are always guidelines. On a 1100 Watt Microwave, I find 2-ish minutes is a good sweet spot.

my point wasn't it said or, it's just i've seen both with no ranges, and it's how people burn it. In fact, I've never seen popcorn instructions that don't under or overcook it, and people should just listen, but people are impatient and dont want to stick around and watch it. **Flashbacks to burnt popcorn smell and building evacuations**

muh specs 

All parts black

On 12/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

and ye

by mistake

I just put my microwave on the auto-sense setting for popcorn. Comes out perfect every time. Apparently it can detect the time between pops.

Also if you don't have a fancy microwave, then instead of a time wait for it to start popping then wait until the time between pops is more than about 3 seconds. When they go more than 3 seconds take it out and it will be good to go.

17 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I just put my microwave on the auto-sense setting for popcorn. Comes out perfect every time. Apparently it can detect the time between pops.

Also if you don't have a fancy microwave, then instead of a time wait for it to start popping then wait until the time between pops is more than about 3 seconds. When they go more than 3 seconds take it out and it will be good to go.

that's cool. Most microwaves just have a set time and maybe a low setting for popcorn, and it's kind of a joke that the popcorn button is specifically meant to never cook popcorn right 

muh specs 

All parts black

On 12/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

and ye

by mistake

Use an old fashioned air popper. Best popcorn youll ever have.