No experience, first build

Hey guys, so I’ve always wanted to build a pc. I’ve never really got into it enough to know what I’m doing or what components I really need for what I want to build. 

Anyway, I’m aiming for something that can handle 4K FPS games along with 4K racing games like forza then eventually upgrading to something that can handle VR. 

Along with gaming, I will also be using it to edit 4K videos quite often. 

Components

I don’t have anything except for a 

‘be quiet! BGW21 Pure Base 600’ case. I don’t know if the rest of the listed components will even fit in here or if they’re compatible with each other etc.. ideally, the smaller the final cost the better but this it what I got so far. Please let me know any advice.

I plan to get (all from Best Buy) [California, USA] 

CORSAIR - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2PK x 8GB) 3.2 GHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Memory Kit - Black

EVGA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC Gaming 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black

EVGA - 1000W ATX /EPS 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black

MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC (Socket LGA1151) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Intel Motherboard with LED Lighting

WD - Performance 4TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops

Intel - Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop Processor

Total bill with all that stuff is $1,559.93 not including the windows 10 pro OS, mouse/keyboard and a 4K 60Hz monitor. 

again, I have no idea if all of this stuff will work with each other or if I don’t have enough gpu or something for what I’m trying to do. I’m open to all suggestions and appreciate the help you guys provide!

BUDGET: 2K for complete system

I am willing to give up 4k gaming for the mean time if I can't fit it in the budget but I still want to game at least 1080P on highest settings.

Edited by mike16cast
Added budget

System

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-9700K
  • Motherboard
    MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
  • RAM
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX Series 32GB 2.4GHz DDR4
  • GPU
    MSI Armor 1080 Ti
  • Storage
    WD - Black 4TB SATA / Samsung - 970 EVO M.2 250GB
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000W ATX /EPS 80 Plus Gold
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR - Hydro Series 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

u tried, as lots of peopkle on here wouldnt.
But lots is wrong here :D
Is there some kind of budget? then i will try to put a list together

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

If you want to game in 4k, you need to aim higher for the GPU, atleast GTX1080 or better 1080ti. 1070ti will not cut it unless you want to play on low/medium settings.

PSU if an overkill. Get a high end 750W PSU and it will be everything you will ever need. EVGA 750W G2 or GQ model, both are high end 80+ Gold.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Welcome to the fourm,

I would definitely start by heading over to pcpartpicker.com and putting your stuff into your build and that will check if your things are compatible. I would also recommend you to open yourself to retailers such as Amazon and Newegg (those are the only online retailers that I personally use) as that will allow you to get more reasonably priced items. Read the pinned post in this section of the forum for the posting format in the future, and you should probably reply answering those questions in the pinned post. (Although the only one you really didn't answer was the budget one.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Might I ask why you’re limited to Best Buy? Amazon and newegg usually have better prices

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Swap CPU and motherboard for a r5 2600 + a B450 Tomahawk and then get a better GPU. The CPU and GPU pairing just isnt right for this tier build. Also get a cheaper PSU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($67.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Gigabyte - UD PRO 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card  ($699.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - H500i (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1383.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 18:29 EST-0500

Throwing in a much better build for your usecase. 9000 series is not worth it unless you are going all out with the GPU.

why are we trying to give him a r5 when he wants to edit 4k footage. the r7's arent expensive and he was going for a 9th gen intel chip. why are we all cheaping out on this forum

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

6 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

why are we all cheaping out on this forum

Its called not wasting money. Its all about spending the vash where it matter. Also ive got no clue what budget he is working with. 

7 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

why are we trying to give him a r5 when he wants to edit 4k footage. the r7's arent expensive and he was going for a 9th gen intel chip

Core i9 should never be paired with a 1070 when doing stuff in 4K for obvious reasons. R5 is all related to not knowing what budget he was working with. 

3 hours ago, BelgianNoise said:

u tried, as lots of peopkle on here wouldnt.
But lots is wrong here :D
Is there some kind of budget? then i will try to put a list together

I'm trying to stay roughly under 2k I guess. If I can't game in 4k I'll be willing to game in 1080 until I can upgrade later on.

System

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-9700K
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI Armor 1080 Ti
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

3 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

If you want to game in 4k, you need to aim higher for the GPU, atleast GTX1080 or better 1080ti. 1070ti will not cut it unless you want to play on low/medium settings.

PSU if an overkill. Get a high end 750W PSU and it will be everything you will ever need. EVGA 750W G2 or GQ model, both are high end 80+ Gold.

PSU is on sale for $99 right now so might as well get something that could possibly handle upgrades in the future haha

System

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-9700K
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI Armor 1080 Ti
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

6 hours ago, mike16cast said:

PSU is on sale for $99 right now so might as well get something that could possibly handle upgrades in the future haha

okay, i will make u a list

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WLPDFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WLPDFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($67.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($177.90 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($749.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($91.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1825.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-08 05:10 EST-0500

This one is $1825 including the case u already have. so it would be less then $1750.
Let me explain my choices so people can maybe correct me.

CPU: the Ryzen 7 2700X is atm the best bang for the buck  consumer workstation CPU.
CPU Cooler: A big air cooler to keep all those cores cold.
Motherboard: I recommend the B450 chipset. Also i put an MSI in the list, many people say they arent any good, but I only have good experiences with the brand.
Memory: any 2x8GB 3200MHz kit is fine. there are lots of brands that hover around that $130 mark.
Storage: This is rather a personal choice, I am a samsung SSD fan, they are the best, but they are a little more expensive. For the HDD I like that little extra performance of the WD Blacks over a $15 cheaper seagate. I Guess storage options are rather personal. But at least get a 250B SSD and some decent amount of storage.
Video Card: The 2080 should be able to run MOST games in 4k at high settings. I dont have experience with these but i did some googling. maybe someone else can give btter advice on this one.
Case: the one u got ofc
PSU: the one you said you were going to buy, rather great deal tho.