Facebook Messenger App Bug

It doesn't seem like there's much of a fix so I'm just wondering if anybody else has the problem of the messenger app pinging you with notifications when you don't have any notifications. Every time I open a conversation it does between 1-5 notification sounds. Every time I open messenger after stopping the app it does anywhere between 5-10 notification sounds. I used to think this was because of unread messages in the past, but I went through and opened every conversation that had an unread message and it still does it.

edit: THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Messenger app may require location information, leading Android to send out a notification of "Searching for GPS-Messenger". Or if you have enabled Chat Head, Messenger will send out a "Chat Head Active" notification. Other possible scenario may include screen overlay (relate to chat head), blocked permission warning, etc.

Some phone handles notifications poorly and will play the notification sound regardless of its origin/channel. This can happen the moment when cold starting the app (and opening chat head in this case), and it will check for location and other permissions, causing the notification to sound several times.

If none of the above matches your situation, then this might be a bug.

Should this bug be persistent and reproducible, you better report it to Facebook, Google and Samsung to let them look into the issue (via bug report in app and/or through Developer Setting).

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

39 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Messenger app may require location information, leading Android to send out a notification of "Searching for GPS-Messenger". Or if you have enabled Chat Head, Messenger will send out a "Chat Head Active" notification. Other possible scenario may include screen overlay (relate to chat head), blocked permission warning, etc.

Some phone handles notifications poorly and will play the notification sound regardless of its origin/channel. This can happen the moment when cold starting the app (and opening chat head in this case), and it will check for location and other permissions, causing the notification to sound several times.

If none of the above matches your situation, then this might be a bug.

Should this bug be persistent and reproducible, you better report it to Facebook, Google and Samsung to let them look into the issue (via bug report in app and/or through Developer Setting).

That was really helpful. I never see any notification for anything like GPS or permissions.I'm going to assume it's a bug with chat heads. I will look more into this later tonight. Thanks for the help.