Need suggestions for mom's phone, $500 USD cap

DVA

Hey guys, my mom needs a phone, I was just wondering what the best phones are under the $500 range. 

Uses include:

GPS

Casual internet surfing, facebook,youtube, etc...

Casual photography, birthday events, pics with grandchildren and so on..

Needs a long battery life.

That's pretty much it! She's not a huge tech person by any means. She just needs to make sure it can last all day, take decent photos (12mp+ preferred), make phone calls, text, use GPS, all the basic stuff. 

So far I had in mind the One Plus 6 and the Essential Phone. I see a lot of Moto phones and I've had a great experience with one for my wife, it works better than my 2 year old flagship LG G5. 

suggest away for my momma you guys!

My work phone is a Samsung S8 and I love it. I think you can get those for around 250-450 now depending on the carrier.

well, I have the perfect phones for you(r mother):

• pocophone f1
  • xiaomi mi a2
  • samsung galaxy s9 (getting pretty cheap rn, not sure about us pricing)
  • oneplus 6(t)
  • xiaomi mi 8
  • xiaomi mi mix 2s
  • huawei p20 (lite)

just to give some examples. yes I have something with chinese/japanese phones

1 minute ago, ThePD said:

My work phone is a Samsung S8 and I love it. I think you can get those for around 250-450 now depending on the carrier.

How does the battery life feel? My mom is on the S5 and it lasts all day, the only downside is the photo quality is DREADFUL and she gets continuous dropped calls. She can make calls, but can't always receive calls. The phone is just crapping out. 

I know the S7 is also doing horrible right now with the battery life being the biggest thing. I don't know if I can trust the S series anymore. It feels like something fishy is going on to have consumers buy the next gen phones. 

It might be the first time I've ever considered Apple, but the 7 is looking tempting with Software support for the next several years. 

Coincidently, my primary personal phone is an S5 and its battery is terrible. The Photo quality on the S8 is definitely improved vs the S5. I find the feel of the phone itself is very nice. Would definitely consider a case considering it has that slippery side glass/screen. Battery life on the S8 is very strong, but that may be my bias since my S5 is super aged now.

I'd have to go with the Moto Z Play 2/3, with the battery pack mod if you're looking for something with a lot of endurance.

I wouldn't consider the Essential Phone unless you're getting it cheap; it was only $329 with all the accessories on Black Friday, and honestly, I probably wouldn't pay a whole lot more than that for it. You can still find them on Swappa for pretty good pricing; something to consider.

Like @ThePD I too have an S8, and I'm pretty fond of it. I don't use my phone a whole lot these days, and I only have to charge it every couple of days. I keep the brightness down, have the power settings on restrictive for CPU speed, and notice no difference compared to letting it loose. There's nothing fishy about the phones getting worse battery life; all of those devices are likely nearing the end of their lithium batteries lives.

If you can afford one, Apple is the way to go. It sounds like it's more of a fit for what she'd be using it for, aside from perhaps excellent battery life, but battery cases are plentiful.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Nokia 7 plus if they are still avavible

Haven't heard anything from Nokia in a while, I'll have to look into it, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd have to go with the Moto Z Play 2/3, with the battery pack mod if you're looking for something with a lot of endurance.

There's nothing fishy about the phones getting worse battery life; all of those devices are likely nearing the end of their lithium batteries lives.

If you can afford one, Apple is the way to go. It sounds like it's more of a fit for what she'd be using it for, aside from perhaps excellent battery life, but battery cases are plentiful.

Thanks, my wife has a Moto phone that was $259 and it EASILY outperforms my (at the time) $700 phone. What a bummer, so I'll definitely consider Moto's products. 

True, I suppose I didn't take into account their loss of battery charge hold with their lifespan. 

I do believe I'll try to convince my dad to get her the iPhone 7, maybe even the 8. 

S8 obvs

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 minutes ago, DVA said:

Haven't heard anything from Nokia in a while, I'll have to look into it, thanks. 

Thanks, my wife has a Moto phone that was $259 and it EASILY outperforms my (at the time) $700 phone. What a bummer, so I'll definitely consider Moto's products. 

True, I suppose I didn't take into account their loss of battery charge hold with their lifespan. 

I do believe I'll try to convince my dad to get her the iPhone 7, maybe even the 8. 

This most likely has something to do with the Moto having a very pure vanilla Android with almost no additions to it.

Phones like Samsung, Huawei might suffer a bit performance-wise because of their... "fully (feature-)loaded UI Skin".

In terms of your LG G5: That Skin should not be too heavy but yea. It coming with a Snapdragon 820 back then wasn't a help, which is only a 2+2 Core Chip, instead of 4+4 Core. Some 8-Core chips from midrange COULD feel faster, depending on Workload. still, the pure Hardware performance of your G5 should be faster - if you check Benchmarks.

But it's mostly all about the Software (optimization).

So you can consider a Oneplus 6/6t. Has a very decent camera (especially with GCam Port it comes extremely close to the top dogs (check Jonathan Morrison's Blind test from a month ago, and that was just stock camera).

It comes with OxygenOS, which is basicly vanilla Android, with some very usefull additions, but still optimized for speed, performance and efficiency.

Especially the 6t with it's larger 3700 mAh battery is a real monster. When at Home in Wifi, i can easily get 8+ hours Screen-On-Time per battery Charge - and Oneplus' Dash Charge (well, "Dash" is not allowed anymore) with 20 Watt charges it pretty quick. 30 Minutes should be enough for 60+% Battery.

Xiaomi:

• Mi mix 2s
  • or wait for mi mix 3
  • mi 8
  • mi 8 pro
  • A2 lite
  • A2
  • Note 6..
  • POCOPHONE F1!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Just get an iPhone 7 or 8. It doesn’t have to be new. These phones are simply awesome. And Apple has way better support and security than Android. 

Hint: You might want to glance at Apple certified refurbished deals. They guarantee brand new batteries unlike other refurbished units. 

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-GSM-Unlocked-128GB/dp/B01N9YV6DL/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544395090&sr=8-1-fkmr3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=refurb+iphone+7+128

Seems like a no brainer to me. And you’re saving money.