Are Lian Li still the shiz?

grangervoldemort
6 minutes ago, Froug said:

How much do you want to spend on fans? I'm guessing after reading your posts here that stock fans are unacceptable 

But why are stock fans so bad? The ones that came with my coolermaster trooper are LOUD. Perhaps it's RPM?

Now that my fan controller is dead and the fact this fan controller never worked properly from day 1 and it's a hassle to have a digital fan controller; or any for that matter, I want to know how people are having quiet systems WITHOUT fan controllers.

Are they spending months researching for motherboard that meet all their requirements and all the fan headers have PWM fan control and the motherboard magically does an incredible job at keeping them quiet? What's going on?

I bought a Sharkoon fan (years after I had bought other fans for the NZXT as I replaced I think the front fan' or it didn't come with a front fan... can't remember) and another high quality fan for another PC (I call it the NZXT PC as it uses a NZXT Hush case) I built that's in the other room. ITS LOUD AS F. I recently switched the front sharkoon fan for a slower rpm coolermaster (found out it was slower rpm by plugging it in the same header as the sharkoon fan). I also moved it from the PWR fan header to the SYS fan header, which instantly made it quieter.

But still. They aren't as quite as they could be. 

Surely users are able to build a PC without having to spend £100 on fans and research for months into motherboards to achieve a quiet experience?!

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

42 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

snip

Well, Noctua probably has you covered with fans, if you are willing to pay a a few £ more.

2 minutes ago, Froug said:

Well, Noctua probably has you covered with fans, if you are willing to pay a a few £ more.

Did you read anything I wrote?! And how are you quoting me on 'snip'? I never wrote that. I wrote tons:

But why are stock fans so bad? The ones that came with my coolermaster trooper are LOUD. Perhaps it's RPM?

Now that my fan controller is dead and the fact this fan controller never worked properly from day 1 and it's a hassle to have a digital fan controller; or any for that matter, I want to know how people are having quiet systems WITHOUT fan controllers.

Are they spending months researching for motherboard that meet all their requirements and all the fan headers have PWM fan control and the motherboard magically does an incredible job at keeping them quiet? What's going on?

I bought a Sharkoon fan (years after I had bought other fans for the NZXT as I replaced I think the front fan' or it didn't come with a front fan... can't remember) and another high quality fan for another PC (I call it the NZXT PC as it uses a NZXT Hush case) I built that's in the other room. ITS LOUD AS F. I recently switched the front sharkoon fan for a slower rpm coolermaster (found out it was slower rpm by plugging it in the same header as the sharkoon fan). I also moved it from the PWR fan header to the SYS fan header, which instantly made it quieter.

Surely users are able to build a PC without having to spend £100 on fans and research for months into motherboards to achieve a quiet experience?!

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

40 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Did you read anything I wrote?! And how are you quoting me on 'snip'? I never wrote that. I wrote tons:

Yes, that is the point. I wrote snip to shorten the message so users dont have to scroll a lot. It's a little thing but helps people sometimes.

There is no need for researching the exact behaviour of a motherboard's fan curve, most perform well with good fans. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but a bad fan curve would be listed as an issue raised by users.

3 minutes ago, Froug said:

Yes, that is the point. I wrote snip to shorten the message so users dont have to scroll a lot. It's a little thing but helps people sometimes.

There is no need for researching the exact behaviour of a motherboard's fan curve, most perform well with good fans. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but a bad fan curve would be listed as an issue raised by users.

Whaaaat. My mobo is unable to control ANY fans except the CPU. And it does a HORRIBLE job at that. That being said it did come with a Gigabyte app that allowed fan control. BUT it was buggy AF. And they didn't make one for Windows 10. Currently using Speedfan.

Took me about 3 weeks to figure out how to use it, start testing to learn how to use it, create graphs that allowed for smooth control (2 of the things in speedfan control the CPU fan for some reason, and it's not as simple as set one to 100& etc (see my thread on speedfan)... I'm not the only one with this 'issue'). 

But ofc now about a month or so later I have completely forgotten how to use it etc etc. 

Things need to be straightforward. Controlling fans is a waste of human time.  

Please can you elaborate after reading everything I wrote. I need answers. How are people doing this etc etc as I asked please.

I didn't know what snip meant...sorry for making the thread even harder to scroll... I didn't know

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

You can usually create fan curves either in the BIOS of your motherboard or in software you install afterwards.

BeQuiet make some great quality cases (and fans) and well being quiet is in their name. But picking a case for you is kinda difficult when you only shoot down suggestions we make without giving us good reasons why or even a rough direction what you find to be "aesthetically pleasing". The beQuiet! dark base 700 may fit your needs, although I wasn't able to find a definitive number of the 3.5'' bays it has.

I wouldn't rule out NZXT either, I've had some good experiences with their cases and they don't feel cheap to me. Keep in mind the case you built in was from '08, so probably 10+ years old. I personally really like the s340 and s340 elite, although they probably won't fit your size needs, especially concerning the number of 3,5'' bays. Maybe have a look at the H700? It features 3 x 3.5'' bays and 7(!) x 2.5'' bays.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

4 hours ago, myselfolli said:

especially concerning the number of 3,5'' bays. Maybe have a look at the H700? It features 3 x 3.5'' bays and 7(!) x 2.5'' bays.

To be clear, thats a max 7 SSD bays using the "2" included 3.5" drive caddy bays. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 hours ago, myselfolli said:

You can usually create fan curves either in the BIOS of your motherboard or in software you install afterwards.

BeQuiet make some great quality cases (and fans) and well being quiet is in their name. But picking a case for you is kinda difficult when you only shoot down suggestions we make without giving us good reasons why or even a rough direction what you find to be "aesthetically pleasing". The beQuiet! dark base 700 may fit your needs, although I wasn't able to find a definitive number of the 3.5'' bays it has.

I wouldn't rule out NZXT either, I've had some good experiences with their cases and they don't feel cheap to me. Keep in mind the case you built in was from '08, so probably 10+ years old. I personally really like the s340 and s340 elite, although they probably won't fit your size needs, especially concerning the number of 3,5'' bays. Maybe have a look at the H700? It features 3 x 3.5'' bays and 7(!) x 2.5'' bays.

Sorry pretty caught up in a number of other things so I understand you saying I haven't provided direction as to what I want in terms of looks from the case.

As for fan curves, my motherboard is from 2012. As I said Gigabyte didn't make software that allows fan control for Win 10. And the software that was there before was buggy AF. It would crash etc.

I tried installing the Win 7 software. It causes errors. 

I tried using the BIOS to control the CPU fan. No go. Stupidly loud.

The motherboard doesn't allow any other fans to be controlled without 3rd party software like speedfan.

I wish there were PC stores that display cases so you could examine them in person here in the UK.

I know that that case I bought is 10 years old, but I always thought NZXT is a low/mid case brand.

Whereas Lian Li were the Bugatti of cases.

So how do case manufacturers fall in terms of ranking? 

Who are the 'elite'?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

22 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

So how do case manufacturers fall in terms of ranking? 

Who are the 'elite'?

Caselabs would have been above all else until they went under. 

In win just makes fancy cases without proper function. Lian Li makes less fancy cases but have more function.

Everyone else has "Flagship" cases (Phanteks Elite, Thermaltake Level 20, Corsair 1000D, Coolermaster C700M) but none of them are considered Elite by brand. 

Personally I dont buy by brand, I buy by product. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 12/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, TVwazhere said:

Caselabs would have been above all else until they went under. 

In win just makes fancy cases without proper function. Lian Li makes less fancy cases but have more function.

Everyone else has "Flagship" cases (Phanteks Elite, Thermaltake Level 20, Corsair 1000D, Coolermaster C700M) but none of them are considered Elite by brand. 

Personally I dont buy by brand, I buy by product. 

Wowee the thermaltake 20 is £1,000. 

Hmm ok. I just thought there are cheaper brands and more expensive brands and elite brands. 

Thanks for your input.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

• 7 months later...

No one ever explained how people are controlling their case fans so that they aren't loud.

Edit.... Something that no one has mentioned is that since 2012 case aesthetics have changed drastically. 

It went from plastic and plastic windows to steel and tempered glass. Something I only realised after watching this video and he said this: 

So quality of materials has improved a lot. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD