OnePlus CEO tells the truth about 5G

DrMacintosh
12 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Battery life was abysmal and it was noticeably thicker than the Droid X it replaced

It’s not LTE’s fault that early LTE phones have terrible battery life but how the modems are designed. Back in the day, phones have two separate modems for GSM/CDMA and LTE which consumes a lot of power. Newer phones in 2012 uses a single modem for both voice and data. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Need full coverage before thinking about 5G lol. Still get no reception areas all to often. 

I think what people are missing with 5G is that you need a processor that can process the data and need storage that can write as fast as 5G can transmit.

Its not as simple as sticking 5G in a mid range phone, there’d be no benefit without the rest of the hardware to match.

9 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

What if 5G allows you to get your 4G faster? You can virtualize the 4G infrastructure on top of a 5G infrastructure. 

5G doesn’t help coverage.

2 hours ago, Phentos said:

Where I live I'm not expecting 5G service any time soon. The market just isn't there for it. 

Bonus mention: In my home my Verizon 4G LTE network speeds average at less than 1.2Mbps while I walk down the street to my local grocery store and get ~9Mbps. The fastest I've ever seen was 14Mbps in the major shopping center in my city.

Mate what you have isn’t LTE my 3G is faster than that. I just did a Speedtest on LTE while walking down the road for comparison 2984025503.png

And this is 3G

https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/2984036157.png

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

Mate what you have isn’t LTE my 3G is faster than that. I just did a Speedtest on LTE while walking down the road for comparison 2984025503.png

Idk I'm just stating my observations. It's abysmally slow at my house because there's a big dead zone around it. LTE service usually flakes out and I'm either on 1X or 3G if I'm in my bedroom or bathroom XD.

I always use Wifi on my Xfinity 250Mbps connection so it doesn't really matter to me.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I think the most bothersome part is going to be roaming, meaning that there will be a limited amount of phones that can support all bands.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It’s not LTE’s fault that early LTE phones have terrible battery life but how the modems are designed. Back in the day, phones have two separate modems for GSM/CDMA and LTE which consumes a lot of power. Newer phones in 2012 uses a single modem for both voice and data. 

I understand why, in just pointing out that early adoption is an extra shitty experience when it comes to phone networks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why would I pay for a faster speed that will just get throttled anyways? Especially when my tax dollars already subsidize their network infrastructure (Which I note they seem to have not mentioned)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sadly thats what I get on TMobile's 4G LTE network at my home and Im about a mile from the tower. 

That depends on a few factors, including the dead zone radius of the tower itself, utilization of the backhaul, etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

That depends on a few factors, including the dead zone radius of the tower itself, utilization of the backhaul, etc.

NO its the curse of my city. We have 24K people and Detroit Metro Airport. No one wants to invest in to the infrastructure here. AT&T has pretty much given up. Comcast at least keeps things moving. But we have no major stores, no grocery store, pretty much nothing. T Mobile probably considers the area unimportant. The city is nothing but Hotels, Airport, Trucking Companies and Warehouses. Which is why Amazon built their warehouse here. 

I mean Im fine with the 25 Mbps considering the city to the south of us gets 0 TMobile service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'll just keep using WiFi like I have always been.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Lao just trying to justify the rapidly increasing price of OnePlus phones...

So here we have an Apple fan taking this to defend the company's comparative shortcoming. When Apple adopts 5G, the iPhone will probably be absurd over $2k

Let's not speculate about iPhone pricing until we're vaguely close to the launch, shall we?

And it sounds like you don't remember what things were like when LTE arrived in 2011.  Some hardcore Android fans were crowing about how they had LTE and iPhones didn't... and then griped that they had to charge their LTE phones multiple times per day, that their phones were still chunky beasts despite the short battery life, and that coverage was so thin they'd lose LTE if they so much as blinked.  I know people who went from bragging about the HTC Thunderbolt to practically cursing its existence.

Being first doesn't always mean you'll have the better experience.  Sometimes it just means you're the obsessive early adopter who makes all kinds of unreasonable sacrifices for the sake of saying "first!"

45 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I know people who went from bragging about the HTC Thunderbolt to practically cursing its existence.

As an owner of the Thunderbolt.......it was a lot more of the latter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I mean yeah to be expected, will take time for it to be mainstream. 5G will be neat and all but 4G is not even covered everywhere and not even utilized to it's full potential by some carrier. Also, we're using these on phones. So I kinda don't care really about it since you know, caps to burn even faster and yeah. I want a freaking fiber line infrastructure to grow rather! 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

As an owner of the Thunderbolt.......it was a lot more of the latter. 

Ouch, I feel you.  I can't help but get the feeling that we'll get something similar with that Samsung 5G phone arriving in the spring.  People will crow about it, say it's Apple's death knell... it probably won't be as bad as the Thunderbolt, but it'll probably be patently obvious that you're making lots of compromises to say you have 5G.

What do people need 5G for anyway? To stream 4K video on a 6 inch device? It's the most demanding bandwidth wise. And most pointless as well...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

What do people need 5G for anyway? To stream 4K video on a 6 inch device? It's the most demanding bandwidth wise. And most pointless as well...

I would say content creation on mobile devices is becoming more popular. Live streaming and uploading videos from phones (or via mobile connections) is more common place these days.

-KuJoe

3G is fast enough for me, i only watch youtube in 480p and have yet to notice slowdowns while streaming flacs from my owncloud server

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 12/7/2018 at 11:08 AM, BananaInSandals said:

I've been thinking for a while. Most plans (here in Hong Kong anyways) has a cap of 5gb even if it's unlimited. After 5gb, the speed will be throttled to 128kbps or some crap. So, with 5g the network speed will be in the area of 1gb/s. 5 seconds later. BAM. You're limited to 2g speed... What's even the point of upgrading to 5g?

Is that 5Gb(it) cap or 5GB(yte) cap?  Besides, that would only last 5 seconds (or 40 seconds if the latter) if you were downloading a massive file onto your mobile device.  For regular web browsing, there's very little chance you'll chew up that amount of data, unless you're streaming lots of video.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:08 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Then there's the whole cancer thing I'm not sure if I should believe or not.

Meh, they say everything gives you cancer.  I don't even concern myself with it.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:48 AM, VegetableStu said:

is 5G just better bandwidth? o_o

Not quite. Most 5G implementations come with significant things to ensure quality of signal is going up as well. You'll have more 5G capable devices in an area before seeing signal degrade like you do with current 3G and 4G implementations.

12 hours ago, Phentos said:

Where I live I'm not expecting 5G service any time soon.

Same but for different reasons.

12 hours ago, Phentos said:

The market just isn't there for it. 

Where I'm living now there's definitely a market for it but as far as I'm aware, City Council have basically banned new cell towers from being installed/built there.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

As a Canadian this makes me a little bit sad. We are absolutely abused by the big three carriers that charge big money for very little data. 

My point is, what good is 5G, if most people can’t afford to have more than 10gb of data? FYI, a 10gb data plan is nearly $100/month unless you get lucky and land a promotional deal. To my knowledge, most people have 5gb or lower plans. How fast do you want to burn through your data? Look at all the cool things you can do with 5G! Oh wait...

7 hours ago, kokakolia said:

As a Canadian this makes me a little bit sad. We are absolutely abused by the big three carriers that charge big money for very little data. 

My point is, what good is 5G, if most people can’t afford to have more than 10gb of data? FYI, a 10gb data plan is nearly $100/month unless you get lucky and land a promotional deal. To my knowledge, most people have 5gb or lower plans. How fast do you want to burn through your data? Look at all the cool things you can do with 5G! Oh wait...

Speed isn't the only advantage of 5G no matter how much people want to believe that to be the case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler