[Build-Log] FreeNAS "Boss-NAS" by FloRolf [Update 14th January 2019]

On 1/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, leadeater said:

Just get RJ45 SFP+ modules ?

I just looked them up and they are 100€  a pop so I think I'll pass lol. 

On 1/15/2019 at 4:34 PM, Windows7ge said:

If you're up for it you could build your own switch with as many 10Gbe and SFP+ ports as you want and expand it as you need more. There's a distribution of Linux that lets you do that. Turns any computer into a managed switch.

You could go on eBay or elsewhere to get cheap NIC's. My old single port SFP+ NICs were $24/piece.

I'll also pass as this would just escalate again, lol. 

Today there's a good deal (319€) on the Qnap qsw-804-4c. Have you heard anything about that one? Is it any good? 

Edit: another independent question, do you happen to know if there's a Video Encoding plugin available on freenas that has a gui? ? I'm a command line noob for the most part. Would a VM with handbrake encode just as fast as the native machine in case there's no plugin available? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

31 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Damn that's a rip off, SR modules are a 10th the price. Guess that's cos hardly anyone buys 10GBase-T modules.

7 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Like I said they're really expensive.

Qnap qsw-804-4c. Have you heard anything about that one? Is it any good? 

This was one I was considering before I found the Ubiquiti. As leadeater has brought up lower-end 10Gbit switches having quirks I vaguely remember reading the specs on that and it was a deal-breaker for me.

I think the problem with those switches is that you can use EITHER the SFP+ ports or the Ethernet you can't use both. It doesn't support full switching speed for all ports. It's shared (my ubiquiti switch has 16 ports and it's switching capability is 160Gbit/s) For a 16 port qnap here I think you get like 80Gbit and it disables ports as you occupy other ports.

Yeah, found it: QSW-804-4C

It has 4 combo ports which means at any given time you can only use 8 out of the 12 and probably not at full line speed either. Occupying all Ethernet ports will kill four SFP+ ports and using more than 4 of the SFP+ ports will start killing the Ethernet ports.

That was a massive deal breaker so I didn't buy it.

do you happen to know if there's a Video Encoding plugin available on freenas that has a gui?

These are your plug-in options:

Screenshot_1.png.90934b771a814bef877b49967314514a.png

If you need something else you'll have to set it up in a jail or a VM. Unfortunately Bhyve sucks for anything workload intensive and jails are pure CLI. In a VM you can only give the VM 50% of your system resources so that with the VM overhead you'd probably be Encoding with 40% or less of the full system performance.

So if you want to use the server for encoding you'll have to learn the terminal and setup a jail.