EVGA 1080 TI End of Life?

Dogstar

Hi All,

First time posting long time reader. 

So i'm in the market for a 1080 ti and I've got my heart set on a EVGA . here comes the rub. 

I've found some strange practices from EVGA such as the removal of the 1080 ti from EVGA product page claiming that the product line is now "End of Life". I may be naive but it seems strange to end a successful product line especially one that up until the recent RTX launch was top on the line.

Wanting further answers I rang EVGA and asked the rep on the phone what was going on and if the 1080 ti was really at the end of its life. The response only raised more questions, the voice on the line went very quiet and started to speak very quickly as if hiding something. I asked for clarity and they said that yes the line was at end of life however may come back in the future... this seemed strange so i pressed for more information and found that they do have stock but are holding it back for RMA's

I've also noted some of the larger distributes claiming to not have any EVGA1080 ti's then all of a sudden a large quantity would arrive with a "due to be in stock date" then within 10 minutes this would have vanished from the site.

I get the feeling that EVGA is not being totally honest with its customers here. I get the feeling that this is all a poly to make people buy the RTX hardware. 

Has anyone else had this impression or am i going mad?

image.thumb.png.b831c6c7666ead034959cfc795aef0ac.png

Well the cards are end of life there is no new ones being made now that the 20 series is out. Further more companies like Dell, HP, Alienware, etc. buy thousands of cards which causes swings in the market for GPUs. So dell may return or cancel a shipment of say 1000 cards which means that EVGA now has stock of 1000 cards to get rid of and that other OEM's like I-buy power or companies that are not on the bleeding edge with there products and manufacture PC's to order snap up thoughts 1000 graphics cards as soon as they become available.  

well, 1080 ti's are not produced anymore, so they are pretty hard to find. 2080 is about equivelent, otherwise a 1070 ti should do most things too

3 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

I've found some strange practices from EVGA such as the removal of the 1080 ti from EVGA product page claiming that the product line is now "End of Life". I may be naive but it seems strange to end a successful product line especially one that up until the recent RTX launch was top on the line.

Well, it is EOL. Nvidia is no longer making the GP102 dies and the add in board partners have moved on to producing the RTX line up. It's not just EVGA, all board partners are running out of stock of 1080Tis. Most cards are out of stock these days, just look at PCPP that currently only shows 4 1080Ti models available - the rest out of stock.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.df6f0e4f0439a69ab5cc359434518db9.png

7 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

I asked for clarity and they said that yes the line was at end of life however may come back in the future... this seemed strange so i pressed for more information and found that they do have stock but are holding it back for RMA's

They likely have an obligation to keep stock of X number of units based on how many were sold and expected failure rates in order to meet warranty demands. This is not unusual.

10 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

I get the feeling that EVGA is not being totally honest with its customers here. I get the feeling that this is all a poly to make people buy the RTX hardware.  

If EVGA had a bunch of cards they could sell, they would. It would make absolutely no business sense to not sell them. They've already paid for them, so not selling them would be throwing money down the drain.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Kinda how production works. Just because it’s good, doesn’t mean you should still make it. Why make new stuff if that was the case. All that r&d and all the money and time to produce new stuff just to kee making old stuff. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Mate, the 1080 Ti is end of life.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)