Next-Generation Console or new PC build?

Max Eckhardt

All my life I have gamed on consoles.

I currenly own all of the current gen consoles and a PC that I built back in 2014.

Where possible I prefer to play games on my PC for two reasons that are very much important to me:

1. Backwards compatibility.

I love being able to go back and replay the older games in my collection. And I have quite a collection thanks to years of Steam sales :)

Sure, the Xbox One has backwards compatibility but it is severely limited.

2. Power!

I love gaming with my controller on my large 4K TV in utra settings. Not even the Xbox One X can do that.

But I’m a novice when it comes to PC’s still. My current PC is also the only PC I have ever built. Everything went well on the initial build but I have had to upgrade my RAM from 8 to16GB and my GPU from a 760 to a 1080Ti.

The only downside that I can see is cost. I’m the kind of gamer that needs the best. I can’t play on a PC that is lower spec than the best console on the market. So when those next gen systems to turn up I’m wondering if I should just buy on of those or build a new PC again.

If I do go the PC build route it’s going to cost me a lot. I’ll need a new motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU etc...

the only thing I think I’ll be safe to reuse is the PSU, possibly the case, but I’m not sure.

£2000 PC or £400 console?

Is that extra graphical setting and the promise of backwards compatibility really worth all of that expense?

CCAC4C71-E3EF-4D9A-AED6-10D3FC3FD5F1.jpeg

How many Watts is your PSU? Currently if you want to upgrade your entire setup, you would need to get a PSU over 600W.

1 minute ago, Merkot said:

How many Watts is your PSU? Currently if you want to upgrade your entire setup, you would need to get a PSU over 600W.

you sure? I could run that system on a 550. or maybe even a 450 watt. quality matters more

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

you sure? I could run that system on a 550. or maybe even a 450 watt. quality matters more

3 minutes ago, Merkot said:

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Your PC is allready more powerful than any next gen rumoured console, afaik at least.

Also next gen is like late 2019

So you don’t think the next gen consoles will have a better CPU than what I have? 

3 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

So you don’t think the next gen consoles will have a better CPU than what I have? 

No, not really. At best they will have 8 Zen 2 cores. Which will be quite cheap when Zen 2 launches next year. 

Yes its a better CPU, but its about a 400-500$ upgrade for CPU, Mobo and Ram that will beat that CPU that launches in the console. (Keep in mind that consoles will run lower clockspeed). 

38 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

All my life I have gamed on consoles.

I currenly own all of the current gen consoles and a PC that I built back in 2014.

Where possible I prefer to play games on my PC for two reasons that are very much important to me:

1. Backwards compatibility.

I love being able to go back and replay the older games in my collection. And I have quite a collection thanks to years of Steam sales :)

Sure, the Xbox One has backwards compatibility but it is severely limited.

2. Power!

I love gaming with my controller on my large 4K TV in utra settings. Not even the Xbox One X can do that.

But I’m a novice when it comes to PC’s still. My current PC is also the only PC I have ever built. Everything went well on the initial build but I have had to upgrade my RAM from 8 to16GB and my GPU from a 760 to a 1080Ti.

The only downside that I can see is cost. I’m the kind of gamer that needs the best. I can’t play on a PC that is lower spec than the best console on the market. So when those next gen systems to turn up I’m wondering if I should just buy on of those or build a new PC again.

If I do go the PC build route it’s going to cost me a lot. I’ll need a new motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU etc...

the only thing I think I’ll be safe to reuse is the PSU, possibly the case, but I’m not sure.

£2000 PC or £400 console?

Is that extra graphical setting and the promise of backwards compatibility really worth all of that expense?

CCAC4C71-E3EF-4D9A-AED6-10D3FC3FD5F1.jpeg

PC. The console seems like a smaller cost, but remember that (more than likely) your library of games will be gone or severely limited, you'll have to pay to play online, and generally games will cost more due to lesser discounts.

But remember, you don't need the best. Work with a set budget.

And wait for Ryzen gen 3, and AMDs next GPU announcement. The latter may not effect you much, but if these leaks are even close to reliable, the former will.

10 minutes ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

PC. The console seems like a smaller cost, but remember that (more than likely) your library of games will be gone or severely limited, you'll have to pay to play online, and generally games will cost more due to lesser discounts.

But remember, you don't need the best. Work with a set budget.

And wait for Ryzen gen 3, and AMDs next GPU announcement. The latter may not effect you much, but if these leaks are even close to reliable, the former will.

I do need the best! :) 

Don't forget, consoles are inherently more efficient.

I put a 760 in my PC because on paper it was superior to the GPU in the base Xbox One and PS4.

Then I found out that I couldn’t  play Forza Horizon 3 or Doom as well as I’d like (or as the well as the consoles)

I've since learned the hard way that i need to go a gen or more above what’s “on paper” to get a comparable experience.

I know that my current CPU is better than the consoles by a long margin, but do you really expect it to be better than what Microsoft put inside the Xbox 2 next year?

my i5 will be almost 6 years old by that point...

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No, not really. At best they will have 8 Zen 2 cores. Which will be quite cheap when Zen 2 launches next year. 

Yes its a better CPU, but its about a 400-500$ upgrade for CPU, Mobo and Ram that will beat that CPU that launches in the console. (Keep in mind that consoles will run lower clockspeed). 

My RAM is DDR3 and isn’t compatible with newer motherboards, or so I’m told.

It’s really frustrating because ideally I’d just like to double my RAM by adding two more sticks of 8GB next year to increase it to 32GB. I figure that would see me through the next gen cycle.

A new CPU in the UK will cust me arund £250+£100-150 for the motherboard and then the RAM would be as high as £200 for 32GB. That brings me to £550 and that’s without a GPU.

What’s the chances of the GPU in the Xbox 2 surpassing my 1080Ti?

i understand the the current gen Xbox One X has a GPU somewhere between the 1070 and 1080...

oh, and I’ll need another hard drive since mine are almost full. How much will a 2TB SSD add to my build? :(

Hey! Another Phantom 410 build. I'm not the only one still rocking such an old case. The same graphics card even.

26 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

I put a 760 in my PC because on paper it was superior to the GPU in the base Xbox One and PS4.

Another "cheap" life extension option is to try to find another 760 (of the same model) and an sli bridge. SLI gets alot of hate, but I run 760s in SLI and, besides two of the Ubisoft Tom Clancy games, the only problems I've ever had are getting the heat away from the card on top.

As an example of the capabilities of that solution (since it only costs you one four generation old card), I can play GTAv on 1080p, with settings all on the highest, except for only 4x msaa (with fxaa enabled), shadows on softer, and extended draw distance only about 1/4 way full, and be getting 70-90 fps depending on where I am and how fast I'm driving. On Project Cars 2 I can play the game on all ultra settings, 1080p, and get a stable 60 fps with vsync enabled.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

33 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

i understand the the current gen Xbox One X has a GPU somewhere between the 1070 and 1080...

No, its an rx 580. Which is equivelent to an gtx 1060 6GB.

What’s the chances of the GPU in the Xbox 2 surpassing my 1080Ti?

Not very high. Its said to be able to do 4k60 next gen, but we dont know what settings (based on rumours)

It’s really frustrating because ideally I’d just like to double my RAM by adding two more sticks of 8GB next year to increase it to 32GB.

I dont know what you do with your system but gaming doesnt need more than 16GB

2 hours ago, Max Eckhardt said:

which one?

34 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No, its an rx 580. Which is equivelent to an gtx 1060 6GB

a custom made polaris gpu is used in the playstation. It would be somewhere between the 580 and 590

40 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Hey! Another Phantom 410 build. I'm not the only one still rocking such an old case. The same graphics card even.

Another "cheap" life extension option is to try to find another 760 (of the same model) and an sli bridge. SLI gets alot of hate, but I run 760s in SLI and, besides two of the Ubisoft Tom Clancy games, the only problems I've ever had are getting the heat away from the card on top.

As an example of the capabilities of that solution (since it only costs you one four generation old card), I can play GTAv on 1080p, with settings all on the highest, except for only 4x msaa (with fxaa enabled), shadows on softer, and extended draw distance only about 1/4 way full, and be getting 70-90 fps depending on where I am and how fast I'm driving. On Project Cars 2 I can play the game on all ultra settings, 1080p, and get a stable 60 fps with vsync enabled.

Would our case be ok for a modern build, or would a I need a new one?

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No, its an rx 580. Which is equivelent to an gtx 1060 6GB.

Not very high. Its said to be able to do 4k60 next gen, but we dont know what settings (based on rumours)

I dont know what you do with your system but gaming doesnt need more than 16GB

I didn’t realise that a 1060 could achieve 4K/30fps on high settings the way the Xbox One X does. 

The Xbox One X has 12GB of GDDR5 RAM.

I just assumed that the Xbox 2 would have more than 16GB.

I did watch a linus video the other day about RAM. He said that the speeds are not that important. So my 1600 speed is fine and would continue to be fine next gen.

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

which one?

a custom made polaris gpu is used in the playstation. It would be somewhere between the 580 and 590

Corsair 750W Series 80 PLUS Gold Full Modular ATX.

1 minute ago, Max Eckhardt said:

Would our case be ok for a modern build, or would a I need a new one?

Yes. It's not the prettiest, all glass, full RGB thing in the world, but it supports all the motherboard form factors that you'd be looking at, has more than enough 3.5 and 5 inch bays to do anything you want there, and has way more than enough room to hold multiple large, modern graphics cards. It's ok for custom liquid cooling. You're limited to only three mounting spots, 2 120/140mm rads in the bottom and rear (although I would not recommend putting one on the bottom), and factory it can take up to a 240 radiator on the top (with modifications it could probably support up to a 2x200mm rad, that top area does support 2x200mm fans after all).

I've only ever had two complaints with it: the cable management area is just the tiniest bit too narrow for round 24 pin cables, and the side fan is just slightly too high up to be directly blowing on dual GPU setups, the latter problem I've since fixed.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Yes. It's not the prettiest, all glass, full RGB thing in the world, but it supports all the motherboard form factors that you'd be looking at, has more than enough 3.5 and 5 inch bays to do anything you want there, and has way more than enough room to hold multiple large, modern graphics cards. It's ok for custom liquid cooling. You're limited to only three mounting spots, 2 120/140mm rads in the bottom and rear (although I would not recommend putting one on the bottom), and factory it can take up to a 240 radiator on the top (with modifications it could probably support up to a 2x200mm rad, that top area does support 2x200mm fans after all).

I've only ever had two complaints with it: the cable management area is just the tiniest bit too narrow for round 24 pin cables, and the side fan is just slightly too high up to be directly blowing on dual GPU setups, the latter problem I've since fixed.

That’s good to know :)

I’ve never felt compelled to show off my innards.

As you can see from my picture, I actually have the display side turned toward the wall aanyway.

Stupid queston but I honestly can’t remember; does the case some with the necessary cables or is it the motherboard?

I mean your current PC is likely already faster than a next gen console given you're rocking a 1080ti. I'd be surprised if next gen consoles run anything faster than say a 1080/Vega 64 and shocked if it beat a 1080ti. So yeah I wouldn't downgrade to a next gen console unless you want the exclusives. Now whether or not it will be worth upgrading to a 3700x / 10700k + Navi/3080ti will depend on how that hardware looks when it launches in 2020.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

35 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

Corsair 750W Series 80 PLUS Gold Full Modular ATX.

okay. next time just say it's a rm750. then I know enough.

Do you know what mobo and cpu you exactly have? maybe you could do a upgrade? or ryzen is a great option. I can help you pretty well with it. You can build a 1440p high 60 fps gaming pc for around 1000 bucks these days. and on esports titles it will perform even better. 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Your PC is allready more powerful than any next gen rumoured console, afaik at least.

Also next gen is like late 2019

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

47 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

PS5 rumours are closer of im not misstaken. 

1 hour ago, Max Eckhardt said:

I didn’t realise that a 1060 could achieve 4K/30fps on high settings the way the Xbox One X does. 

It can. Does Xbox one X use high setting? The FPS dips from time to time on the Xbox, hence the use of Freesync being relevant.

1 hour ago, Max Eckhardt said:

The Xbox One X has 12GB of GDDR5 RAM.

I just assumed that the Xbox 2 would have more than 16GB.

Depends on pricing and need. I dont see them go above 16GB.