Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_2716

Wondering if this temp is ok?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just installed my new processor and was wondering if these temps are good when i'm gaming on heavy loads like overwatch on ultra it runs about 70-71c max and other games around 60c give or take. its a ryzen 2600x btw thanks for any input. 

What CPU cooler do you have? Temps like that aren't ideal, but shouldn't damage the CPU at all.

Designing a mITX case. Should be as soon as I can manufacture aluminum prototypes well

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Not so good at Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, David_2716 said:

Just installed my new processor and was wondering if these temps are good when i'm gaming on heavy loads like overwatch on ultra it runs about 70-71c max and other games around 60c give or take. its a ryzen 2600x btw thanks for any input. 

70c is completely fine for a Ryzen chip. Is it overclocked? It seems higher than normal IF it's stock clocks, but. 

What cooler are you using?

not that bad, generally I try to stay out of the 70's though 

i7-8700k | EVGA CLC 280mm | GSkill DDR4-3000 C15 | Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | NZXT S340 Elite | Corsair RM650x

12 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Temps like that aren't ideal

what

CPUs are rated for 80C nowadays, that "never allow it to go over 60C" thing ended with the P4

I wrote a blog post about why I fucking hate video games.

Spoiler

ASUS X470 PRO - R7 1700 - MSI RX 480 8G Xfire - Corsair DP 16GB @2933 - EVGA 750 G2 - Crucial MX500 250GB - WD 4TB - Corsair 730T

Scrap server: Intel D5400XS ♦ 2x Xeon E5205 ♦ GeForce 6200 ♦ 4x1GB Samsung FBDIMM ♦ 160GB WD + 4x2TB WD Blue ♦ 550W Modded PSU ♦ Sentey GS6300

16 minutes ago, shotsfired said:

70c is completely fine for a Ryzen chip. Is it overclocked? It seems higher than normal IF it's stock clocks, but. 

What cooler are you using?

no its just stock with the boost speed and the wrath spire cooler it came with.

20 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

What CPU cooler do you have? Temps like that aren't ideal, but shouldn't damage the CPU at all.

wraith spire 

Your temps are normal.  Good build.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / i7 4930k @ 4411Mhz @ 1.37v / Evga 1060 6GB / Corsair Veng 64GB @ 1915Mhz / AX1200i / H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout Edition   

AOC 40" 4k Curved monitor / Samsung 40" 4k Flat  Motion Rate 120 HDR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB USB 3.0 / 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB 

Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / StudioLogic SL 88 Grand Controller / Win 10 / Sonar Platinum  / Noctua NF-A14 Intake / Redux NF-P12 Exhaust

6 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

any temp is fine as long as the cpu isn't thermal throttling

Not true, unsafe high temps can lead to degraded silicon, and early failure. Of course, if you sustain the temp. Hitting it and then coming down soon after isn't a big deal. 

1 minute ago, shotsfired said:

Not true, unsafe high temps can lead to degraded silicon, and early failure. Of course, if you sustain the temp. Hitting it and then coming down soon after isn't a big deal. 

That's why the CPU thermal throttles before it reaches those unsafe high temps. 

The cpu will thermal throttle (forcefully downclock) before temperatures rise to silicon degradation levels. 

If temperatures go even beyond thermal throttle levels, it will forcefully shut down the system. 

What are you not understanding? I'd be happy to explain.

21 hours ago, ears_ears said:

The cpu will thermal throttle (forcefully downclock) before temperatures rise to silicon degradation levels. 

If temperatures go even beyond thermal throttle levels, it will forcefully shut down the system. 

What are you not understanding? I'd be happy to explain.

Silicon degradation happens 24/7, 365, if the CPU is powered. I said he'll speed up the process. 

Read up, kid. 

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/723980-Truth-about-CPU-degradation