Need Help Getting Tv to run through a stereo

Richywilson

I've got a Samsung smart tv with and was told to get an HDMI cable and plug that into a HDMI2AV converter and then plug the RCA's into the converter from the stereo, I've done that, changed the expert settings to HDMI Input audio PCM and Digital output audio as PCM but upon trying AUX and CDR on my stereo, I'm getting nothing from the Tv. 

Help would be appreciated 

When hooking up stereo equipment, I learned my lesson many, many years ago.  GIGO.  Garbage In - Garbage Out.  So, first consider your television.  You want the audio signal from the television to go to the stereo.  To do that, you have to have an AUDIO OUT source from the television.  Check either the owners manual for the tv or actually look at the connections on the back of the tv, and what you are looking for is something indicated as a source of the audio.  You are looking for something labeled AUDIO OUT.

The HDMI connection on the back of the television is a signal IN device.  You connect your video/audio to the HDMI to get your video and sound IN TO the television.  HDMI on a television is NOT a video or audio SOURCE, it is a RECEIVER, not a SENDER.  You are looking for some connection to SEND the audio FROM the television to the stereo and HDMI is not it.  Remember, what goes in, must come out and the opposite is also true.  What comes out, must go in.

So, you want the audio FROM the television to go IN to the stereo.  After you identify the connections where that can take place, then you will be able to determine the type of cable you will need.

Remember, television out, stereo in.

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

When hooking up stereo equipment, I learned my lesson many, many years ago.  GIGO.  Garbage In - Garbage Out.  So, first consider your television.  You want the audio signal from the television to go to the stereo.  To do that, you have to have an AUDIO OUT source from the television.  Check either the owners manual for the tv or actually look at the connections on the back of the tv, and what you are looking for is something indicated as a source of the audio.  You are looking for something labeled AUDIO OUT.

The HDMI connection on the back of the television is a signal IN device.  You connect your video/audio to the HDMI to get your video and sound IN TO the television.  HDMI on a television is NOT a video or audio SOURCE, it is a RECEIVER, not a SENDER.  You are looking for some connection to SEND the audio FROM the television to the stereo and HDMI is not it.  Remember, what goes in, must come out and the opposite is also true.  What comes out, must go in.

So, you want the audio FROM the television to go IN to the stereo.  After you identify the connections where that can take place, then you will be able to determine the type of cable you will need.

Remember, television out, stereo in.

Ah shit rookie mistake. Looks like my tv only has one output https://imgur.com/a/pYpW5vV a Digital optical audio out

24 minutes ago, circeseye said:

yep the optical is what needs to go to a sound system

My stereo system only takes RCA in though, i use to be able to connect my ps1 to it

2 hours ago, Richywilson said:

My stereo system only takes RCA in though, i use to be able to connect my ps1 to it

there are Optical to RCA converters, they ARE DIRECTIONAL so make sure it says it converts the optical to RCA and NOT the other way around.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:19 PM, Daniel644 said:

there are Optical to RCA converters, they ARE DIRECTIONAL so make sure it says it converts the optical to RCA and NOT the other way around.

Does it matter what type of optical? I've found Coaxial optical to RCA converters on www.trademe.co.nz 

Coaxial optical to RCA just means theres both a optical AND a coaxial (both digital types) to rca (analog) out. so yes thats what you want

9 hours ago, Richywilson said:

Does it matter what type of optical? I've found Coaxial optical to RCA converters on www.trademe.co.nz 

you want something like this https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01AWBA8U8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544556062&sr=8-3&keywords=optical+to+rca+converter

as long as one of the inputs matches the output of your TV then you are good to go.