Qualcomm announces its first actual laptop CPU - Snapdragon 8cx - Core i5 performance

GoodBytes
4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh come on. Let's be honest here, you looked up the most positive comment for Microsoft and just liked that one because it remained optimistic about something Microsoft is pushing.

The fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Qualcomm have made similar claims year after year, and they have failed to live up to the expectations every time. At some point people stop being optimistic and having faith. 

My posts have some negative personal opinions in them, but those are well explained, and I also use facta and historical evidence. I also asked questions regarding some dubious claims. 

If AMD came out and said their 680 would match the 2080Ti in performance while using half the power, would you go "yeah... That's too good to be true. I don't believe it." or would you go "oh boy, that sounds great! Can't wait for benchmarks."?

All I can say is, I've got 3x mobile i5 to compare the 8cx to, with an i5 2450M which I'll be benchmarking after a fresh install of Windows 10 (because it was upgraded to from 7...which was installed 6 years ago):

370208696_cbr15results.PNG.fa802586ae77bbca8dbdcaeeaa967a8e.PNG

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh come on. Let's be honest here, you looked up the most positive comment for Microsoft and just liked that one because it remained optimistic about something Microsoft is pushing.

That comment had nothing to do with MS. What are you talking about?  It simply said thinner light laptops etc, they come in apple, MS and chrome flavors you know.

The fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Qualcomm have made similar claims year after year, and they have failed to live up to the expectations every time. At some point people stop being optimistic and having faith. 

Exactly my point, the progress is slow but it isn't going away.  

My posts have some negative personal opinions in them, but those are well explained, and I also use facta and historical evidence. I also asked questions regarding some dubious claims. 

I don't care if they are well explained.  I don't see how that changes what I said.

If AMD came out and said their 680 would match the 2080Ti in performance while using half the power, would you go "yeah... That's too good to be true. I don't believe it." or would you go "oh boy, that sounds great! Can't wait for benchmarks."?

Why would they do that? why would that even be relevant to my post?

All I am saying is that ARM moving into the more desktop side of mobile computing is a thing that Apple, MS, Qualcomm haven't dropped and it doesn't look like they are going to,  therefore what you think about MS, or what others think about the dubiousness of their progress claims won't change that.

EDIT: Actually the crux of my post was you don't have to be a pessimist to bee skeptical.  You obviously got triggered by my comment postulating windows on arm might be the future.  Remember that was a postulation regarding the unrelenting nature of the industry to go there, not a claim based on my feelings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

That comment had nothing to do with MS. What are you talking about?  It simply said thinner light laptops etc, they come in apple, MS and chrome flavors you know. 

Apple won't use Qualcomm chips, and you yourself specifically said it was about Windows on ARM and it maybe the "bees knees".

Exactly my point, the progress is slow but it isn't going away.  

Performance is a moving target. It isn't enough if Qualcomm chips are as good as several generations older Intel processors if both costs the same in laptops, especially not because of the translation overhead. They need to be as good as the current generation stuff if they want to sell for the same price as the current gen stuff.

Besides, these chips will not be on the market until the second h alf of 2019. By that time we might have a new generation of processors from Intel.

I don't care if they are well explained.  I don't see how that changes what I said.

You said that the only posts in this thread worth reading are those who are optimistic about ARM laptops, and that everyone else should "polish their crystal balls".

You were being incredibly disrespectful and insulting towards anyone who isn't optimistic even though we have heard the same thing year after year, and it has never been true before. At some point "optimism" because just being naive.

Why would they do that? why would that even be relevant to my post?

Are you seriously asking why a company out to sell you a product would bend the truth and make exaggerated claims? Have you

It's to build hype. Remember, Qualcomm and Microsoft (I mention Microsoft here because they are the main ones pushing for laptop ARM chips) are out to sell you products, not telling the truth. If bending the truth sells them more products they most certainly will.

And it's very relevant to your post because it's the same situation, except you were more disrespectful. I just changed the company and product names.

Qualcomm are make hard to believe claims, similar to those who were proven false in the past, and you're saying people who aren't optimistic about it aren't worth listening to, even if they explain their reasoning.

All I am saying is that ARM moving into the more desktop side of mobile computing is a thing that Apple, MS, Qualcomm haven't dropped and it doesn't look like they are going to,  therefore what you think about MS, or what others think about the dubiousness of their progress claims won't change that.

No, you said that those who are not optimistic are not worth listening to. That's why your comment pissed me off. Saying that companies are interested in moving into the ARM space is fine. They totally are. Nobody is arguing against that. What is being doubted are their wild performance claims which seem very deliberately misleading (not mentioning what processor it matches, which means it can be as powerful as a dual core from 9 years ago, or a quad core from this year).

Be optimistic about this if you want, but to say that the only posts worth reading are those who are optimistic and those doubting some of the more dubious claims need to "polish their crystal balls" is unnecessarily disrespectful and hostile, especially if you're then going to say you don't care about their explanations for being pessimistic.

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Apple won't use Qualcomm chips, and you yourself specifically said it was about Windows on ARM and it maybe the "bees knees".

You accused me, you said: " you looked up the most positive comment for Microsoft and just liked that one because it remained optimistic about something Microsoft is pushing. "

The comment I quoted made no mention of MS. Whatsoever.   My comment about windows "MAYBE" being the bees knees was, as I have already explained,  a comment based on the fact that no one seems to be giving up on ARM being the mobile CPU of preference and MS not giving up on pushing windows onto it.  

Performance is a moving target. It isn't enough if Qualcomm chips are as good as several generations older Intel processors if both costs the same in laptops, especially not because of the translation overhead. They need to be as good as the current generation stuff if they want to sell for the same price as the current gen stuff.

Besides, these chips will not be on the market until the second h alf of 2019. By that time we might have a new generation of processors from Intel.

You said that the only posts in this thread worth reading are those who are optimistic about ARM laptops, and that everyone else should "polish their crystal balls".

You were being incredibly disrespectful and insulting towards anyone who isn't optimistic even though we have heard the same thing year after year, and it has never been true before. At some point "optimism" because just being naive.

Are you seriously asking why a company out to sell you a product would bend the truth and make exaggerated claims? Have you

It's to build hype. Remember, Qualcomm and Microsoft (I mention Microsoft here because they are the main ones pushing for laptop ARM chips) are out to sell you products, not telling the truth. If bending the truth sells them more products they most certainly will.

And it's very relevant to your post because it's the same situation, except you were more disrespectful. I just changed the company and product names.

Qualcomm are make hard to believe claims, similar to those who were proven false in the past, and you're saying people who aren't optimistic about it aren't worth listening to, even if they explain their reasoning.

No, you said that those who are not optimistic are not worth listening to. That's why your comment pissed me off. Saying that companies are interested in moving into the ARM space is fine. They totally are. Nobody is arguing against that. What is being doubted are their wild performance claims which seem very deliberately misleading (not mentioning what processor it matches, which means it can be as powerful as a dual core from 9 years ago, or a quad core from this year).

Be optimistic about this if you want, but to say that the only posts worth reading are those who are optimistic and those doubting some of the more dubious claims need to "polish their crystal balls" is unnecessarily disrespectful and hostile, especially if you're then going to say you don't care about their explanations for being pessimistic.

The rest of this I couldn't even be bothered reading because you have already missed my point. EDIT: and after a brief read you seem to be really twisting my words or intentionally ignoring what I have said for some other fanciful interpretation.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

EDIT: Actually the crux of my post was you don't have to be a pessimist to bee skeptical.  You obviously got triggered by my comment postulating windows on arm might be the future.  Remember that was a postulation regarding the unrelenting nature of the industry to go there, not a claim based on my feelings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.