why do my speaker monitors start to distort the sound of the bass once i increase the volume to high?

echy

why do my speaker monitors start to distort the sound of the bass once i increase the volume to high?

is there a way to solve this problem? maybe a new speaker?

i have a krk 5 with a balanced connection and interface, 

the problem is the yellow part of the krk ...it thumps to much and i cant get a clean sound

Well, how loud are you driving them? Every speaker will distort at some point, that's just how it works. If it is already audible I would be very careful because could damage it permanently.

I could go on about distortion and speaker engineering but I doubt anyons here is really interested in that. :p

2 minutes ago, acoustics said:

Well, how loud are you driving them? Every speaker will distort at some point, that's just how it works. If it is already audible I would be very careful because could damage it permanently.

I could go on about distortion and speaker engineering but I doubt anyons here is really interested in that. ?

im driving them like medium loud... its just annoying because... i listen to a clean bass.. with headphones.. then i go to my speakers... and i turn on the speaker and the bass sounds much more distored then what i heard with headphones...

monitor speakers are small and a lot of them just cant produce sound good depending an level. even the speakers in big tvs distort after a certain lvl.

1 minute ago, echy said:

im driving them like medium loud... its just annoying because... i listen to a clean bass.. with headphones.. then i go to my speakers... and i turn on the speaker and the bass sounds much more distored then what i heard with headphones...

theres a big design difference between head phones and tv speakers...headphones can produce better because it doent need to be really loud in the sense you can hear it from a distance like a tv

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

theres a big design difference between head phones and tv speakers...headphones can produce better because it doent need to be really loud in the sense you can hear it from a distance like a tv

by levels do you mean frquency range? 

if so.. do you think this speaker has good levels?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS5--yamaha-hs5-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

no headphones are designed for you to hear from what an inch from the speakers in the headset...so what seems like loud and clear sound in the headphones wont be the same as tv style speakers...they need to throw sound farther. and majority are not designed for good base
as for those speakers you linked...any external speaker system will sound better then tv speakers....

Sorry @circeseye but that's all complete BS. We are talking about studio monitors here and not speakers that are built in to your TV. Also, the distance is not the problem, it's the volume of air that you are pushing that makes the level difference.

@echy: Check if you distort somewhere down the line and if it is really your speakers, return them. I know the KRK Rokit's quite well and while they are definately not my recommendation in the price class, they should not audible distort at normal levels. The Yamaha are head-to-head with the KRK Rokits or a bit better but don't expect wonders.

My go to recommended speaker for beginners is the JBL LSR305 or 308 since it came out. The waveguide makes for a way better experience than other monitors in the price range, especially if your room is not well treated. If you really like to listen bass heavy music get the 308's or the 305 with a subwoofer.