Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeyzHostHD

Harddrive Need Help To Fix It

Posted · Original PosterOP

hi iv taken my moms external harddrive and want to fix it for her it has many family photos , documents. it powers on the led indicating its on.

ok so it's never been formated or dropped nothing spilled on it either

when I connect it I hear the Windows sound to indicate it's connected.  when I put my ear close to it I hear a trr trr trr sound. it doesn't show up in file explorer . but it occasionally poops up in

disk management for 2 seconds

after it's on it is spinning without a sound

how can I recover the most data as possible. maybe force it to show up and scan the sectors?  what programs

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

go to disk management and assign a drive letter on the partition.

problem is it poops up but disappears after 2 second no time to do so

If the drive sounds like it is clicking or you have seen s.m.a.r.t disk errors you risk losing data just by using the disk or trying anything and you should consult a professional such as Drive Savers who Linus reviews in this Video.  If you don't think the drive is physically failing but only the interface and controller of the external enclosure, you can simply take the drive out of the external and plug it into your internal sata, or use an external dock or interface such as this 

Thermaltake Blacx Duet

or this

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA

There are much cheaper ones but those are ones I would recommend for quality in a critical scenario.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:08 AM, coldwash said:

If the drive sounds like it is clicking or you have seen s.m.a.r.t disk errors you risk losing data just by using the disk or trying anything and you should consult a professional such as Drive Savers who Linus reviews in this Video.  If you don't think the drive is physically failing but only the interface and controller of the external enclosure, you can simply take the drive out of the external and plug it into your internal sata, or use an external dock or interface such as this 

Thermaltake Blacx Duet

or this

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA

There are much cheaper ones but those are ones I would recommend for quality in a critical scenario.

ok I will try to find one close to me as I live in norway