Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
harjm

Productivity CPU Needed

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi I am upgrading my pc and have motherboard and CPU left to buy.

 

I have been waiting for the I7 9700K to go down in price a bit but no luck yet and was wondering if it would be better to get AMD Ryzen. 

 

PC will be mainly used for 3D modelling using programs like UE4 and 3DS Max with occasionally playing game. Would I be better off buying a AMD Ryzen CPU over I7 9700k or maybe getting a I7 8700k would I notice a big difference in performance.

 

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The i7 8700K is a great alternative, Ryzen 7 2700X ain't bad either but it lags a little on actually editing, while gains a little on final rendering.

 

The i7 9700K being 100 dollars more expensive than the i7 8700K makes no sense when they both are essentially identical being practical.

 

Also why is this on Air Cooling section?


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The i7 8700K is a great alternative, Ryzen 7 2700X ain't bad either but it lags a little on actually editing, while gains a little on final rendering.

 

The i7 9700K being 100 dollars more expensive than the i7 8700K makes no sense when they both are essentially identical being practical.

 

Also why is this on Air Cooling section?

Hi thanks for the reply I did not realise i selected the air cooling Section thanks for letting me know 

Link to post
Share on other sites

do you have the option of waiting untill APril before the upgrade? (new CPUs in the rumourmill)

 

otherwise and 2700/x or 8700k is the way to. 

 

the pony above mentioned the details

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, GoldenLag said:

do you have the option of waiting untill APril before the upgrade? (new CPUs in the rumourmill)

 

otherwise and 2700/x or 8700k is the way to. 

 

the pony above mentioned the details

Yh I guess i could wait a while until they get announced brought the rest of my upgrade just left the motherboard and CPU  as the last two also heard AMD announcing new cpu's in Jan

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harjm said:

Yh I guess i could wait a while until they get announced brought the rest of my upgrade just left the motherboard and CPU  as the last two also heard AMD announcing new cpu's in Jan

afaik they will announche them in April with final release somewhere in April. possibility of them announching at CES that they have begun massproduction of 7nm consumer chips. its also said its gonna be released at Computex 2019. though we dont know final releasedate. 

 

you could also wait with the CPU and Mobo, yes. though in the end that is up to you. dont think you will regret buying a CPU today, we dont know final performance afterall

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, GoldenLag said:

afaik they will announche them in April with final release somewhere in April. possibility of them announching at CES that they have begun massproduction of 7nm consumer chips. its also said its gonna be released at Computex 2019. though we dont know final releasedate. 

 

you could also wait with the CPU and Mobo, yes. though in the end that is up to you. dont think you will regret buying a CPU today, we dont know final performance afterall

Yh that is what i was thinking to as it would be a long wait and nothing is confirmed yet for specs thanks for the help 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, harjm said:

Yh that is what i was thinking to as it would be a long wait and nothing is confirmed yet for specs thanks for the help 

*i mean to say announchement or some mention in at CES. sorry about that. 

 

April/May is the likely releasedate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, harjm said:

Hi I am upgrading my pc and have motherboard and CPU left to buy.

 

I have been waiting for the I7 9700K to go down in price a bit but no luck yet and was wondering if it would be better to get AMD Ryzen. 

 

PC will be mainly used for 3D modelling using programs like UE4 and 3DS Max with occasionally playing game. Would I be better off buying a AMD Ryzen CPU over I7 9700k or maybe getting a I7 8700k would I notice a big difference in performance.

 

 

Thanks 

At the moment I would suggest the 2700x or 2700 as amd is getting ready to launch the zen 2 processors but if you insist on doing Intel it's a better option of going with the 8th gen 8700k, it's a better price to performance. 


Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Galion said:

At the moment I would suggest the 2700x or 2700 as amd is getting ready to launch the zen 2 processors but if you insist on doing Intel it's a better option of going with the 8th gen 8700k, it's a better price to performance. 

Thanks will have a look at the 2700x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×