Huawei CFO Arrested

carpentry2010

Of all thing they could've arrested her(suspicions of implementing spying apparatus in hardware for the Chinese government for exemple), they got her.... for violating "sanctions" by the US on Iran?

Can the US even prevent a company, based in another country, to sell their products somewhere?

And can a CFO/Chairman even be held accountable for the action of the company?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Of all thing they could've arrested her(suspicions of implementing spying apparatus in hardware for the Chinese government for exemple), they got her.... for violating "sanctions" by the US on Iran?

Can the US even prevent a company, based in another country, to sell their products somewhere?

Most likely to arrest her on the spot, rather than wait for other sufficient evidence of spying. 

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Al Capone ran a murder & contraband empire. He went down for Tax Evasion. Behold the power of the Process Crime.

More seriously, there's something about 5G Back-end Systems that's getting extremely suspicious. All of the big players are fighting over not just deployments but other details. Something big is going on that no one will publicly talk about.

@carpentry2010 Please edit your topic to meet the Tech News section's Posting Guidelines.

Just as a reminder for everyone, if a topic violates our Community Standards or a section's posting requirements, we ask that you report it to the mod team and leave it for us to deal with. Technically it's against the Community Standards to "backseat moderate", which includes telling a fellow user that they've broken the rules.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

spokesperson for the Chinese embassy in Ottawa released a statement protesting Meng's arrest, which it said "seriously harmed" her "human rights."

the irony is over 9000

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Apparently, according to the article it was based around US technology that they exported to Iran in violation of sanctions (and likely the agreements signed for use of said technology).  What that tech was, I'm not sure.  Someone in the comments below mentioned HP.

24 minutes ago, asand1 said:

spokesperson for the Chinese embassy in Ottawa released a statement protesting Meng's arrest, which it said "seriously harmed" her "human rights."

the irony is over 9000

Yeah, that was my initial reaction, as well.  China has zero room to talk about "human rights" violations.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Most likely to arrest her on the spot, rather than wait for other sufficient evidence of spying. 

From the sounds of this, all the possibble spying occurred via hardware that her company was responsible for supplying. That means she personally never actually engaged in spying activities on US soil. And i'm not sure if you can prosecute someone for spying on you from another country. There's a number of related crimes they might be able to get her on as hacking activities are covered. But i'm not sure that spying explicitly is. It represents a very awkward legal situation, it's yet another example of how the interconnectivity of the world is blurring traditional legal lines.

TBH i'd be surprised if they've arrested her over actual crimes. They're probably hoping they can get her to flip sides on them. Arresting and charging her does far less to hurt Huawei than simply slapping the company with fines and bans would do. So they're not really after her for the crimes because it gets them nothing. It's either a PR move to make them look strong to the public or they want somthing from her besides being in a prison cell. I also find it odd they caught her TBH. They can't have cooked this up in a few hours while she was in the air, there's too many high level diplomatic decision in play, so she should have known she'd be arrested on landing, so why was she even on that flight. Did someone in china throw her under the bus for some reason, (or on orders from the US), or what?

They got no respect for the law!

Hang her!

See some steel?

Hahahahahahahahaha keep dreaming!

But hey, they will throw that bum into the Gulag without a blink of an eye! Jumping the turn style at Granville Station trying to get to the bums doctor at Wastings and Pain, oh I mean Hastings and Main.

Where is my Donut? Where is my frozen doe thats been reheated? after I repeat my order 3 times!

A spokesperson for the Chinese embassy in Ottawa released a statement protesting Meng's arrest, which it said "seriously harmed" her "human rights."

Barf!

"Huawei complies with all applicable laws and regulations where it operates, including applicable export control and sanction laws and regulations of the UN, U.S. and EU."

More lies!

U.S. authorities have been probing Huawei, 

Yes they even ship to North Korea, but the US never cracked down. Too busy obtaining oil and gas by any means.

The Globe and Mail reported earlier Wednesday that she was arrested on suspicion of violating U.S. trade sanctions on Iran.

Well no arrest can be made without the prosecutors (D.A.) say so. Its not a frivelous arrest, but there is enough "evidence", even if its minor there is probably cause. Even if that evidence is lies from a witness, or fabricated evidence by the police. Happens all too often.

Meng was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday

So CSIS gave the nod for the go ahead. No details on the circumstances of her arrest, was she arrested at the airport and taken to a cell? That is normal operating procedure, but hey, policies are broken on purpose.

Wanzhou Meng arrested on suspicion of violating trade sanctions against Iran: report

CBC News

What report is that CBC?

Please give specifics.

Also, there is that 2018 Ford F250 crew cab that just about hit that curb, let it slide and harass them bums! Donut time!

Frozen doe reheated time!

Hahahahahahahahaha love it!

Ha-OUCHIE!

Cuffed 'n Stuffed huh NOT! Probably set her up at the best hotel downtown Van, with a guard. Policies I tell you. Where's those bums! Quota making time!
Actually it would be a pink slip, Promise to Appear. She however will never appear!

However I am mistaken, extradiction to the USA. Different ball game. Canada is too light everyone knows murderers do a dime or a nickel. US ball game a different animal. Who's to know. Sure the US Marshal Service from Seattle, or the border are at the Coast Plaza by now. Bums pan handeling out front. Priorities. Can't piss of Trump, no way Turd-Oh! ZigZag papers sir? Its legal now sir! Medicinals for the pain sir! Pardon Me! ;)

10 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Huawouchie. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

More seriously, there's something about 5G Back-end Systems that's getting extremely suspicious. All of the big players are fighting over not just deployments but other details. Something big is going on that no one will publicly talk about.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I have a feeling this is much more than violating sanctions 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There isn't really that much to it, 5G is going to be huge around the world and an ongoing revenue stream for 10 to 20 years. Everyone in the market is desperate to get on the big deals as it'll set them up financially very strongly for that time. Technology is changing a lot now days and things are going in and out but there are still a few fundamental things that aren't effected by this, cellular transmission is one of them.

All the emerging economies are more likely to deliver internet services via 5G than anything else, you want to be in on the game to get these deployments. 

fuck I own a huawei mate 10 lite

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I have a feeling this is much more than violating sanctions 

Both the NSA and it's predecessors had actual employees working in all of the major American Tech companies as far back as the 1950s. They've been running customized sabotage campaigns against other countries by replacing products they know were going to be acquired. Personal favorite was the exploding gas pipelines in the 1980s. It's standard practice to control your Tech, so the issues around intelligence services & backdoors aren't just real but something backed into all of these discussions.

However, things have gotten weird around all of the 5G companies. All of them. China does mass-scale spying & IP theft of American (and other nations) companies for decades. Can barely get the politicians to do a dang thing, same with the intelligence services. (To be clear: a lot of politicians take money from China.) But 5G rollouts have all of them in a tizzy and it was not like this for 4G. Between dictating part of the board of directors for ZTE, the Broadcomm merger and now executives from Huawei, something is rotten. It's all too public, which makes it even weirder. 

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There isn't really that much to it, 5G is going to be huge around the world and an ongoing revenue stream for 10 to 20 years. Everyone in the market is desperate to get on the big deals as it'll set them up financially very strongly for that time. Technology is changing a lot now days and things are going in and out but there are still a few fundamental things that aren't effected by this, cellular transmission is one of them.

All the emerging economies are more likely to deliver internet services via 5G than anything else, you want to be in on the game to get these deployments. 

No, the bolded part is what is different. 5G means real-time information gathering on most of the human population. That's what all of this is about. The CIA or the DoJ doing the bidding of a couple of companies looks different. They'll oust a government or lock up a company of trumped-up charges. (See Kim Dotcom.) We're seeing hard, geopolitical actions by multiple branches of multiple governments.

Telecom is big money, but what we're seeing around 5G isn't about money. It has to be more serious than that. World-wide, real-time tracking of most of the human population is "more serious".

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Telecom is big money, but what we're seeing around 5G isn't about money. It has to be more serious than that. World-wide, real-time tracking of most of the human population is "more serious".

That's already a thing, 5G doesn't enable that. Any cellular service or GPS connected device, optimally both gives you this. What's different is the transition from fixed line services to mobile wireless services, meaning always connected always providing information. Fixed line services typically have stricter regulations on them too so what you're allowed to do and how actually useful it is is limited.

A fixed line service is on the scope of a family/house or company, a cellular service is on the scope of an individual which is far more useful for information purposes.

But the above is more just scare mongering of something that is frankly already done, ages ago, it's not actually a new thing so it's too late to worry about it. There's a reason we moved to digital currencies so quickly, there's a reason we moved to debt based economies. If you somehow can avoid purchasing anything then 5G might be something to worry about that doesn't already effect you. Information sharing in the financial sector, that horse has already bolted, bread and created it's own herd. Worry more about Apple pay or Google pay than 5G.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That's already a thing, 5G doesn't enable that. Any cellular service or GPS connected device, optimally both gives you this. What's different is the transition from fixed line services to mobile wireless services, meaning always connected always providing information. Fixed line services typically have stricter regulations on them too so what you're allowed to do and how actually useful it is is limited.

A fixed line service is on the scope of a family/house or company, a cellular service is on the scope of an individual which is far more useful for information purposes.

But the above is more just scare mongering of something that is frankly already done, ages ago, it's not actually a new thing so it's too late to worry about it. There's a reason we moved to digital currencies so quickly, there's a reason we moved to debt based economies. If you somehow can avoid purchasing anything then 5G might be something to worry about that doesn't already effect you. Information sharing in the financial sector, that horse has already bolted, bread and created it's own herd. Worry more about Apple pay or Google pay than 5G.

It's less I'm worried about it and more just trying to figure out what has a lot of big players acting the way they are. The Control Freaks are dangerous & annoying, but they're not as competent as they think. Yet when they seem to be acting out on a topic, it means there's a lot more going on and no one will publicly talk about. 5G brings a massive expansion of edge providers, which is what all of geopolitics is about.

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's less I'm worried about it and more just trying to figure out what has a lot of big players acting the way they are. The Control Freaks are dangerous & annoying, but they're not as competent as they think. Yet when they seem to be acting out on a topic, it means there's a lot more going on and no one will publicly talk about. 5G brings a massive expansion of edge providers, which is what all of geopolitics is about.

5G, or what ever is going to be deployed, is just akin to "Old money"/"Big Oil". It's going to be the new "Old money"/"Big Oil" so everyone wants in on it very badly.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

5G, or what ever is going to be deployed, is just akin to "Old money"/"Big Oil". It's going to be the new "Old money"/"Big Oil" so everyone wants in on it very badly.

During the early part of this story, I was with you, but, as this has drug on, there's clearly a lot more at stake. Plus, its service providers that is where the big money is in Telecom, and those are already extremely well established. Granted, the modern elites really aren't that competent, so maybe its just a clown show because we're dealing with the self-serious clowns.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Except they'e not usually this blatant by far about it. Thats whats unusual, all the jockeying is going on out in the open instead of behind closed doors. Russia's recent actions here in the UK may have been the trigger. Everyone's getting more blatant in self defence which is leading to an escalation circle.

Although they've got to be revealing enough about what they know with every action that everyone must be burning up a fair few double agents and inside sources along the way. Thats also all kinds of wacky.

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

During the early part of this story, I was with you, but, as this has drug on, there's clearly a lot more at stake. Plus, its service providers that is where the big money is in Telecom, and those are already extremely well established. Granted, the modern elites really aren't that competent, so maybe its just a clown show because we're dealing with the self-serious clowns.

Well what I meant by that is if you think about what those super large entrenched companies have and can do, the too big to fail and we get laws created for us. That is what people are after with 5G, that same kind of importance and power. It's one thing to have a lot of money, it's a different matter to have influence and money.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well what I meant by that is if you think about what those super large entrenched companies have and can do, the too big to fail and we get laws created for us. That is what people are after with 5G, that same kind of importance and power. It's one thing to have a lot of money, it's a different matter to have influence and money.

Power, Control and Money. They're not the same and it confuses most what the actual hierarchy is for those with real power. 

Still, the China/Intelligence Backdoors are an actual issue, on all of the ends, so it's not like they aren't fighting over something quite real. I just wish there was less lying about it.