OnePlus 7(?) announced as first phone to use the new Snapdragon 855

iRileyx

We don't know the name for certain yet, but OnePlus is the first to confirm its next phone will feature a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 inside.

Pete Lau, CEO of OnePlus, confirmed the news on stage at the Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit 2018 and said its next mobile device will feature the newly announced chipset.

Lau didn't confirm the name of the next handset, but considering the general naming convention for OnePlus handsets we can safely assume this will be the OnePlus 7.

We already expected the next OnePlus device to feature the newly announced Snapdragon 855, but it's a surprise the company is the first to announce it'll feature the new chipset.

Another interesting point is when we'll see the next OnePlus phone. We expected it to be released around April or later in 2019 as often OnePlus announces a new phone every six months, but this news suggests it'll be launching earlier.

Often Samsung and Sony have been the first to announce it will feature the latest Snapdragon chip, but that isn't the case for the Snapdragon 855.

We don't yet know which phone will be the first you can buy with the chipset inside though. We thought the Samsung Galaxy S10 may be the first phone on sale with the chipset, but this news may mean the next OnePlus handset is available before Samsung's next phone.

Personally I think its great that Oneplus will be the first to feature this, as mentioned its normally the likes of Samsung that will get "first dibs" on new mobile hardware. Also, new OnePlus phone announced? :D 

On the other hand I'm a little peeved about it, having only bought my 6 in July this year, with the next one launching so soon, it'll mean again being 2 models behind after not even a year. I honestly thought they'd have stopped the incremental 6 month "refreshes" by now, but it seems not :( 

And for anyone wanting to read more about the 855 chip - https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/18127689/qualcomm-snapdragon-855-ai-connectivity-performance-features

Sources - https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/oneplus-7-will-be-the-first-phone-to-feature-a-snapdragon-855

And Facebook for the image/link.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 hours ago, iRileyx said:

On the other hand I'm a little peeved about it, having only bought my 6 in July this year, with the next one launching so soon, it'll mean again being 2 models behind after not even a year. I honestly thought they'd have stopped the incremental 6 month "refreshes" by now, but it seems not :( 

I mean, the 6T wasn't really that much of an upgrade over the 6 IMO plus it's not like it made the difference between the 6 and 7 any greater. Big leaps every year is something we've just come to expect with how quickly the computer industry advances.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I wonder how this design is going to work out in terms of efficiency. Seems interesting though

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

maybe it's just me

but am I the only one that feels like the phone market has gotten stale as fuck

neat, everything's good but there's hardly anything genuinely unique in a decent way anymore

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

maybe it's just me

but am I the only one that feels like the phone market has gotten stale as fuck

neat, everything's good but there's hardly anything genuinely unique in a decent way anymore

This is a good thing. It means designs are being polished.

What more do you expect in a phone? Spec bumps and battery are totally fine. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

This is a good thing. It means designs are being polished.

What more do you expect in a phone? Spec bumps and battery are totally fine. 

I guess I just kinda miss the days when phones were willing to not follow the crowd. Eh, that's probably only the flagships that really feel like that, though. I'm probably complaining about feeling weird about phones.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

how quick is Qualcomm pumping out all these new chips. Jesus Christ.

phone vendor: Hey guys check out this brand new phone with the snapdragon 8xx. it's top of the line, flagship, unrivaled performance, buzzwords

qualcomm: (less than a week later) nah, here's a better one

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I guess I just kinda miss the days when phones were willing to not follow the crowd. Eh, that's probably only the flagships that really feel like that, though. I'm probably complaining about feeling weird about phones.

There is nothing wrong with missing exciting new features or weird designs, I miss the wow factor too. Every design in any object comes to this point eventually. Tons of ideas were thrown at the wall and some stuck and some fell off. That is a good thing. 

-screen size sweat spot found around 5.5"

-two preferred biometic unlocks mean focus on speed and accuracy of just those

-larger battery

-type-c fast charge

-decent front/rear cameras

-beautiful bezeless designs

Those are what majority want and manufactures are using that as a template. There is only so much you can do with a phone with size constraints so features will be limited but companies are experimenting. They will look similar as a result. 

This is a good time for phones as now you can buy almost any phone and it WILL be decent because with no huge features, known flaws can be fixed without introducing more flaws. 

OnePlus has stated specifically it will NOT be the OnePlus 7.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

45% seems like a massive jump, but I'm also interested in possible gpu performance bumps. I would like to see 30% on the gpu side so I can emulate games better :3

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

1 minute ago, TheDankKoosh said:

45% seems like a massive jump

Well thats what typically happens when you add more cores. I need to see how the OS and apps handle them first. 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

how quick is Qualcomm pumping out all these new chips. Jesus Christ.

phone vendor: Hey guys check out this brand new phone with the snapdragon 8xx. it's top of the line, flagship, unrivaled performance, buzzwords

qualcomm: (less than a week later) nah, here's a better one

What? the 845/850 has been their top chip for awhile. I think the 8150 is just going to end up as a fake leak.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The new core config is interesting though. Also overall the chip received various improvements and new connectivity features. 5G support too. 

Can't wait to see how it compares to new Exynos as well. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

$200-$300 over the 6T

Fuck 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1