Best 120mm Case Fans

WolfireSounds

My current case fans are quite noisy, I am looking to upgrade to fans that can push a decent amount of air (At least 50 CFM), are under 25 DB, under $25 for two of them, and are 120mm. I have been looking and I can't seem to find anything that fits that criteria, so I decided to turn to the forums for help.

If you don't care color or aesthetics, Noctua NF-A12x25

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

20 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

i found FD venturi's to be at least within margin of error, for less "horrible color".

45 minutes ago, WolfireSounds said:

My current case fans are quite noisy, I am looking to upgrade to fans that can push a decent amount of air (At least 50 CFM), are under 25 DB, under $25 for two of them, and are 120mm. I have been looking and I can't seem to find anything that fits that criteria, so I decided to turn to the forums for help.

from all the data I've seen, nothing beats the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans. I have 3 on a 360mm radiator and they definitely move a tons of air and are very quiet. Crazy good build quality too.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

9 hours ago, WolfireSounds said:

You want the best, you pay for the best. If you save on them, you won't get the best...

Some good options are the mentioned Noctua ones but also be quiet fans are also not that bad.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

No, I don't care about the color or looks of the fan because my case is closed completely. You cannot see inside. Thank you for  the suggestion!

Honestly off the top of my head there are really only like three fans I can think of that fit this criteria. Fractal designs venturi hp or hf if on sale, I have one and it's pretty much silent when kept at lowerish speeds though it still gets about as loud as any other fan spinning at 1800rpm, Noctuas p12 redux comes in both 1300 and 1700rpm variants depending on your needs and they are well and truly the fans I'd recommend for the price as they are extraordinarily quiet even at full blast. Like the venturi they produce pretty much no vibration even without vibration dampening pads but at full blast, their noise is very much more pleasant and not a higher pitched whine. They are also grey and inoffensive so that's always good, Lastly is they corsair af120 or sp120. They're older and are like the venturi in that there are two variants meant either for high air flow with low restriction or high pressure through high restriction. They're about as cheap as the Noctua p12 and are more specialized though neither in my experience is as balanced as is usually needed though they are very reliable and easy to find. So finalized recommendation is going to be the Noctua p12 redux for anything. If you need black rather than grey then the venturi or corsairs are decent too.

P12 redux are about $13 a piece

Noctua also has s12 redux which are very much an airflow fan which is also quieter than the p12 but is not very useful outside of unobstructed airflow use cases such as an exhaust for a case that doesn't have any glass or mesh covering it.

2 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Honestly off the top of my head there are really only like three fans I can think of that fit this criteria. Fractal designs venturi hp or hf if on sale, I have one and it's pretty much silent when kept at lowerish speeds though it still gets about as loud as any other fan spinning at 1800rpm, Noctuas p12 redux comes in both 1300 and 1700rpm variants depending on your needs and they are well and truly the fans I'd recommend for the price as they are extraordinarily quiet even at full blast. Like the venturi they produce pretty much no vibration even without vibration dampening pads but at full blast, their noise is very much more pleasant and not a higher pitched whine. They are also grey and inoffensive so that's always good, Lastly is they corsair af120 or sp120. They're older and are like the venturi in that there are two variants meant either for high air flow with low restriction or high pressure through high restriction. They're about as cheap as the Noctua p12 and are more specialized though neither in my experience is as balanced as is usually needed though they are very reliable and easy to find. So finalized recommendation is going to be the Noctua p12 redux for anything. If you need black rather than grey then the venturi or corsairs are decent too.

Noctua also has s12 redux which are very much an airflow fan which is also quieter than the p12 but is not very useful outside of unobstructed airflow use cases such as an exhaust for a case that doesn't have any glass or mesh covering it.

On a similar scenario, for a case with restrictive airflow (p400s), is it worth replacing old A12025 fans for something newer (2 extra (3 total with case fan) at the front 2 at the top) ? Possibly 140mm as i read they are quieter.

10 hours ago, Akli said:

On a similar scenario, for a case with restrictive airflow (p400s), is it worth replacing old A12025 fans for something newer (2 extra (3 total with case fan) at the front 2 at the top) ? Possibly 140mm as i read they are quieter.

What are your specs and temps? NF-P12's are generally good. 

@WolfireSounds What are your specs and temps? Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, Akli said:

Quite frankly it probably isn't. The a12x25 might be the most amazing fans ever but they're still $30 a piece whereas the p12 are $14 and from what I've heard is that they are pretty much as good or better than the f12 when it comes down to extremely restricted airflow situations. Ummmm though if the fans you were talking about were the stock case fans then it could be if you would like a quieter build. Just keep in mind  that good value doesn't mean bad performance.

9 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Quite frankly it probably isn't. The a12x25 might be the most amazing fans ever but they're still $30 a piece whereas the p12 are $14 and from what I've heard is that they are pretty much as good or better than the f12 when it comes down to extremely restricted airflow situations. Ummmm though if the fans you were talking about were the stock case fans then it could be if you would like a quieter build. Just keep in mind  that good value doesn't mean bad performance.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:43 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs and temps? NF-P12's are generally good. 

@WolfireSounds What are your specs and temps? Where are you shopping / located?

On 12/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, Akli said:

On 12/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, kevinisbeast707 said:

On 12/5/2018 at 5:06 AM, Stefan Payne said:

You want the best, you pay for the best. If you save on them, you won't get the best...

Some good options are the mentioned Noctua ones but also be quiet fans are also not that bad.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:06 PM, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

from all the data I've seen, nothing beats the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans. I have 3 on a 360mm radiator and they definitely move a tons of air and are very quiet. Crazy good build quality too.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, manikyath said:

i found FD venturi's to be at least within margin of error, for less "horrible color".

On 12/4/2018 at 7:36 PM, _Hustler_One_ said:

I've decided on a Noctua NF-F12. Although they are over budget, I think I should get them because they are meant for high pressure. My case has a thick mesh at the front and then is covered by foam and forced to get air out of small vents. Its a little difficult to describe, but my case is a Cooler Master Silencio 352.

12 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I Was indeed aiming for a quiet build, im deciding to use nh-u12s for cpu, 2 nf-a14 PWM for front intake and a nf-s12a pwn for vack exhaust. Though for some reason, the back socket Is 140x120. Now ill look for filters i can add to the back.

59 minutes ago, Akli said:

I Was indeed aiming for a quiet build, im deciding to use nh-u12s for cpu, 2 nf-a14 PWM for front intake and a nf-s12a pwn for vack exhaust. Though for some reason, the back socket Is 140x120. Now ill look for filters i can add to the back.

Why would you put a filter on a rear exhaust? 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 hour ago, Akli said:

Where are you getting the for info the for fan mounts? The front and rear only support 120mm's and not 140mm. There's no need to filter the exhaust since filtered intakes should mean air inside the case should already be filtered. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you getting the for info the for fan mounts? The front and rear only support 120mm's and not 140mm. There's no need to filter the exhaust since filtered intakes should mean air inside the case should already be filtered. 

I measured the p400s that i have and the exhaust was 120mm x140mm.

3 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Why would you put a filter on a rear exhaust? 

When the pc is turned off dust will enter through the exhaust.

49 minutes ago, Akli said:

That's an interesting idea. I'm sure to some extent it happens but I've never heard of anyone filtering the exhaust. 

Off the top of my head I would imagine unless you are in an extremely dusty room, air won't really be flowing into a rear exhaust grill much at all (with the machine off, since obviously none will go in when it is powered on). 

13 hours ago, Akli said:

Good overall balance though if you're going to put a dust filter over the back then don't use the s12 since they don't do well against restriction. Tbh dust entering from the back usually isn't too big a concern especially if you use your computer somewhat regularly. The rear vent measures that way so you can position your fan up or down in accordance to top radiators or for rear radiator support in moving it the same direction. It's nice to have but it can look a little goofy and doesn't work well with rubber mounts. Anywho if you're set on the rear dust vent then I'd probably just use a p12 back there and then call it good.

It's probably too late but OP the reason I don't recommend the nf-f12 for truly restrictive applications is due to the performance testing of thermalbench. I highly recommend looking up fans on their site. They show airflow, noise, airflow to noise ratios, and some other useful insights with a radiator being used as the restrictive medium.

RlNt4FCl.jpg

https://thermalbench.com/2015/02/04/noctua-nf-f12-industrialppc-2000-pwm-120mm-fan/3/

8 hours ago, Akli said:

I confused you for the OP. 

Either way, fans are circular / square. 

The rear mount is 120mm and mounting strips are for flexibility with mounting the fan higher or lower. 

Dust settles but won't move into the case when the system is off unless there's something causing airflow in the room or if the opening is at the top. 

14 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Good overall balance though if you're going to put a dust filter over the back then don't use the s12 since they don't do well against restriction. Tbh dust entering from the back usually isn't too big a concern especially if you use your computer somewhat regularly. The rear vent measures that way so you can position your fan up or down in accordance to top radiators or for rear radiator support in moving it the same direction. It's nice to have but it can look a little goofy and doesn't work well with rubber mounts. Anywho if you're set on the rear dust vent then I'd probably just use a p12 back there and then call it good.

Interesting, I hadnt considered static pressure for the exhaust, mostly since the front of the p400s Is very restricted (just 2 fine strips, and with filter at that), which made me worry about negative pressure. With a further thing i noticed Is the basement being open to the front pannel, so the fans would be more likely to pull air from the basement than the intake. I will add foam to cover the front of the basement to avoid this though.

I thought of having a pressure fan at the intakes, but i heard noctua's 140mm are Jacks of all traders in that regard, and i do want to make the build almost inaudible (but of courses, not cause a meldown).

Maybe i could get an extra 140mm just in case (can get them un the US for some days, back in my country they cost twice the price if i even can find the right model).

22 hours ago, Akli said:

Interesting, I hadnt considered static pressure for the exhaust, mostly since the front of the p400s Is very restricted (just 2 fine strips, and with filter at that), which made me worry about negative pressure. With a further thing i noticed Is the basement being open to the front pannel, so the fans would be more likely to pull air from the basement than the intake. I will add foam to cover the front of the basement to avoid this though.

I thought of having a pressure fan at the intakes, but i heard noctua's 140mm are Jacks of all traders in that regard, and i do want to make the build almost inaudible (but of courses, not cause a meldown).

Maybe i could get an extra 140mm just in case (can get them un the US for some days, back in my country they cost twice the price if i even can find the right model).

I wouldn't worry too much about temps since what you have laid out looks to be a pretty good balance already but the p series is really the jack of all trades and it is very quiet so those are good all rounder choices. Idk if it's necessary to block off the basement since honestly the temp difference would be very minimal. As far as negative pressure goes, Linus and Luke did a great video where they used three different configurations and I was surprised and I think you'll be surprised at the results. But as long as you have a gpu with a decent cooler and a decent cpu cooler then you'll be fine temperature wise as long as you have some type of intake and outtake in the case which you do have.

2 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about temps since what you have laid out looks to be a pretty good balance already but the p series is really the jack of all trades and it is very quiet so those are good all rounder choices. Idk if it's necessary to block off the basement since honestly the temp difference would be very minimal. As far as negative pressure goes, Linus and Luke did a great video where they used three different configurations and I was surprised and I think you'll be surprised at the results. But as long as you have a gpu with a decent cooler and a decent cpu cooler then you'll be fine temperature wise as long as you have some type of intake and outtake in the case which you do have.

Wow, making an air blanket at the botton is actually a gold idea, and the pressure nerfed to go against hoy air rising wouldnt be that muchas.

Sadly the p400s only has one opening at the botton for the psu.

The p series seen to have been replaced with the redux series, which seen to be worse in the 3 aspects than the A's (unless im missing something).

On 12/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, Akli said:

Wow, making an air blanket at the botton is actually a gold idea, and the pressure nerfed to go against hoy air rising wouldnt be that muchas.

Sadly the p400s only has one opening at the botton for the psu.

The p series seen to have been replaced with the redux series, which seen to be worse in the 3 aspects than the A's (unless im missing something).

Yes you're completely correct. The A series is pretty much the undisputed kings maybe along side corsairs ml series but anywho the A series is better than the P series though the entire problem is that I don't think that they're twice as good since they cost twice as much and are also brown. I'd love to try the a12 and if I had unlimited funds I would get them but I think that the P series is much more practical for normal users.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, kevinisbeast707 said:

Yes you're completely correct. The A series is pretty much the undisputed kings maybe along side corsairs ml series but anywho the A series is better than the P series though the entire problem is that I don't think that they're twice as good since they cost twice as much and are also brown. I'd love to try the a12 and if I had unlimited funds I would get them but I think that the P series is much more practical for normal users.

I just wanna make a followup.

I received the a140's pwm, and they are completelly silent to the point i cant tell if my PC is on or off. If i focus i can only hear the old hdd i use to store things spinning.

And also no noticeable heating that i can tell, and consider its summer in full bloom here.

The only thing, i noticed the p400s's basement is open to the front fans which would meses the airflow, but solved it by adding foam to obstruct it. Works perfectly, 10/10 would recommend this setup.

20 hours ago, Akli said:

I just wanna make a followup.

I received the a140's pwm, and they are completelly silent to the point i cant tell if my PC is on or off. If i focus i can only hear the old hdd i use to store things spinning.

And also no noticeable heating that i can tell, and consider its summer in full bloom here.

The only thing, i noticed the p400s's basement is open to the front fans which would meses the airflow, but solved it by adding foam to obstruct it. Works perfectly, 10/10 would recommend this setup.

Totally forgot the A series had a 140mm variant. That is something I would be interested compared to the P series 140 version as I have heard that there is a significant difference in favor of the A series. Glad you're happy with the end result and Noctua is apparently the way to go. Enjoy your new quieter build :D