Are PC Manufacturers Trying to Screw You??

Ivan M

I just commented this on the tubes:

In my humble opinion, you went the wrong way with this one Linus. Although it might be entertaining to see you having a stakeout in a car, in full costume (nice to see you dress up instead of losing all your clothes) the information in this video is worthless... Need I remind you, you are one of the experts people seek out to when buying parts. Redirecting them to the best of these bunch is not a good thing. You should have AT LEAST provided your own recommendations for $2000,- I will even go as far as to make a point about this on your forum because I think buyers advice for systems is overlooked and actually should be one of your main scheduled reappearing video's. For everyones benefit, including yours.

Please don't take my words the wrong way as I meant good. I'm not a native English speaker so forgive my phrasing.

Reading the forum I see that you will be coming up with some builds. Great.

On this side of the pond one of my favorite tech sites has a regular item: best buy guides. They focus mainly on desktop systems, once in a while they do notebooks. They provide tech news of all kinds but their most popular item has always been those best buy guides.

To give you an idea: https://tweakers.net/reviews/6647/desktop-best-buy-guide-november-2018.html (translate it yourself please, google doesn't let me generate a link to the translated version)

These generate massive views and have community input decisions as well. Best buy guides could well be the most popular, returning items in your channel.

Scheduling these guides is very important so people can rely on monthly or bi-monthly updates on what to buy. If they can rely on your schedule you will be rewarded with views.

It'd be nice if you could try it out on the WAN show and get immediate feedback from the viewers. 

So please, please have a look at the site I mentioned.

No signature found

25 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

You should have AT LEAST provided your own recommendations for $2000,

Even if this is the case from the way the series is created giving own recommendation in the initial video doesn't fit. That video was about the experience when you call.

If anything, the time and place for that is once they actually get the systems shipped and tested and do follow-up video since at this point we don't exactly fully know what they are getting.

The second video will be where the component choice will get evaluated.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I get that.

I just don't think the target demographic of this video has the judgemental capabilities of categorizing this video as manufacturer-bashing.

Comments on the video prove my point.

This could better have been a "Sh*t manufacturers say* series video.

Now everybody with double digit IQ's watching is just having a go with the manufacturer that was "the least bad" while Linus and team could have done a much better job recommending a system (from NZXT while also getting a sponsorship deal while they're at it.)

In hindsight I must admit that it was a mistake to also render every viewer capable of at least building their own system even if they could not compile it themselves. I initially thought a pcpartspicker buyersguide would have been more at home here. I guess there are some weird discrepancies between people subscribing for server room vlogs, 6 editors 1 PC videos and "this RGB light sucks" video's. 

No signature found

2 hours ago, Edzel Yago said:

Since a few people have already asked:

Yes. There will be follow-ups to this video with regards to the build/specs/value/and more customer support fun.

Is the next episode already up on FloatPlane? 

4 hours ago, LMG Ivan said:

We go deep undercover and Silent Shop 6 System Integrators representing 3 different segments to see what they would offer to a seemingly ignorant buyer for $1500USD. In Episode 1, Agent Janice From Accounting purchases machines based solely on sales reps' recommendations. Results WILL surprise you. 

Nice wording and all. I assume your new, welcome to the LTT team. You will rise the ranks no doubt about that. I would hazard a guess you come from a writing background, because it shows. I also love the way you specified the currency, that is refreshing to say the least.

Video

Silly Face check

Clickbait title check

Will I watch it? I refuse!

If I can just make one suggestion. Maybe milk the profiteering more and link some of the products to a Amazon kickback link. Also a longer description. I am sure you could pound it out fast, you got the writing knack!

I think for Dell's sales representatives are more trained for servers and for the business side.

As for HP, I like their approach. The consumers don't know much so as a consumer, time is wasted getting confused over internals.

26 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I think for Dell's sales representatives are more trained for servers and for the business side.

Dell should have people trained for both. They have a fairly extensive "Alienware" range, so there's no excuse not to have sales and support staff to back it up.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Welp... Ima refer people to this video if they wanna know how bad customer service is

✨FNIGE✨

Just FYI the youtube description still has "**LINK TO DISCUSSION THREAD **" instead of an actual link.

Good to know there's an actual follow-up video coming. Might be good to throw that in the description too, I know it says "In Episode 1," but I didn't see it right away.

Really interesting video though. I think the mainstream people like Dell and HP make most of their money from the Warranty program, and that's why you usually get decent main components for the money. I'm interested to see how these compare to the Walmart one since I think that was also about 1500 USD.

Clickbait title and no assurance that a second part reviewing the systems that arrived is coming, but otherwise a great video.

9 hours ago, Synix said:
  • First things first: Hideous thumbnail, still don't like them. Still hoping you will try something new and more pleasing to the eye, instead of just swimming with the trend.

There never will be a thumbnail, which pleases everyone's needs, for example, I really like this style. ?

Now THIS is the LTT stuff i like.

Useful, funny, bit silly, actually very good.

@LMG Ivan Little note for next time: it's not always easy to understand the girl that's calling, maybe add subs next time for her too (if you are planning similar content).

The subs for the callers help a lot btw, so +1 for that. I'm not sure you edited the video but i guess you can get the message to the right people ?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Btw , R.I.P. Headphone users. 

Seriously though, how did those audio levels and the frequency of the drastic change in volume get past QC? 

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

14 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I don't like ivan, I can't understand him if I use my normal speed of X2 on videos

I can understand him just fine listening on 2x speed.

14 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Not giving out recommendations makes sure the customer comes to them knowing what they need. Its a good thing ..not a bad thing.

That only makes sense for a fraction of your customers.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

13 minutes ago, unijab said:

I can understand him just fine listening on 2x speed.

That only makes sense for a fraction of your customers.

Agreed... a lot of customers (if not most) buying a pre-build likely doesn't really know what they want hence why they're asking the person for recommendations. In the case of this LMG production, it not only provides an element of entertainment but also a perspective into an average call. Not that it is an evaluation of each company since the sample size of customer experience is...well...one. As in speaking to one person (except in the case of iBuyPower).

As far as understanding Ivan, I have no trouble. Though I am exposed to many English speaking people with very...VERY heavy accents almost daily.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

This is an interesting series.  Cyberpower's stance on 'not making recommendations' caught me off guard.  You'd think they'd specialize in that kind of thing.  Looking forward to build quality and performance numbers.

1 hour ago, MandoPanda said:

Btw , R.I.P. Headphone users. 

For real tho...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

This video is getting a shit ton of attention. Kudos for making it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

Cyberpower's stance on 'not making recommendations'

FYI ... its a lie

explain these categories if they arent making recommendations...

image.png.24b4eaa6588be2761f810781c7f2ab45.png

gaming pc

gaming laptop

vr ready

esports

syber gaming

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Man who still CALLS computer companies these days?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

After I saw this video I had to sign up (great intro, it reminded me of A-Team)

I cant believe that companies like HP and Dell that are that are spread worldwide have such amazingly non existent sales performance/customer care even when it comes to Gaming that as such a variety of..well..everything. Sadly for HP it wont be a surprise, wich I have some experience dealing/repairing their gaming PC's, I think it will be the most let down of them all because even with a pretty case the hardware will suck top bottom from cooling to the quality of the components. You should try to buy them enterprise PC's from HP and get a laugh or two.

In my opinion you should up the game and call Apple for a gaming system aswell just to see if they stutter as much selling as when they are trying to  give their non existent support ;) 

Great video

4 minutes in and I'm like:

QBvKWrj.gif

Loved the intro however, but it became too stupid thanks to those on the other end at Dell... Not sure to keep watching or drink Bleach :|

38 minutes ago, Skahrn said:

After I saw this video I had to sign up (great intro, it reminded me of A-Team)

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Great video! I was laughing so hard throughout. The intro was pure gold. I hope you do more videos in this series. 

I didn't know Linus' Lambo still worked after all it went through at LTX! 

A good follow-up to this would be to send a non-computer person to various big box electronics stores to see what sort of sales experience they receive there, and what sort of system they end up with.

This was a very annoying video to watch, listening to Ivan speak only added to the annoyance. Janice had virtually no confidence in her speaking and it was obvious she wasn't ready for her role.  Pre-builders like Mikes or Canada Computers can make it difficult for people too. While installing the hardware is one challenge, configuring the PC correctly is another. I had take my PC back to NCIX (when Linus worked there) because they didn't configure my custom build correctly.

Anyhow, I hoped for a visual summary of each of the retailers that were examined at the very end of the video, not just the brief verbal summaries. The summaries provided at the end of the phone call were too brief and vague. Furthermore, Canadian retailers should've been evaluated since Linus is Canadian. He should think about his "people" first. 

Sadly, expected more from Linus, but it looks like he's just doing things ad hoc with not much interest except to his advertisers and affiliates.