Microsoft to include Chromium in Windows 10 (Edge will use Chromium engine, which Chrome extention support)

GoodBytes

Microsoft has decided to stop working on Edge web browser as we know it.

The web browser code-named Spartan as a replacement to IE, looked very promising on paper with its new evolved engine from IE, but due to number of bugs, rendering issues, lack of support from developers since its release and lack of major features at release, users decided to just skip it despite massive improvements since its release. Edge could never get any significant growth, and can't/could not compete with the web browsers that has been worked on for years.

We don't know when this will be released or any details, but Microsoft which already had its hands in Chromium open source project, has decided to simply opt to use that instead for its default Windows 10 web browser in the future.

So what can we expect?

Well don't expect Chromium as is, on the PC. It will be more like Opera web browser, or web browsers on iOS devices, where the web browser interface is unique and can provide unique features as a selling point, but the back-end, the real meat that render and displays your webpages and what you interact with, is Chromium.

Microsoft is already on its way in participating in the open source project on GitHub, helping the web browser have a native ARM64 version for, you guessed it, Windows 10 for ARM. This also means, if you really want to stick with Google web browser, that Google can, just release a Windows 10 on ARM ARM64 version as Google Chrome is Chromium the open project that they started. Google, pretty much just takes Chromium, slap its ecosystem and tracking and calls it a day (although Google does actively work on Chromium).

Microsoft Edge was designed to be fast, lightweight, and secure, but launched with a plethora of issues which resulted in users rejecting it early on. Edge has since struggled to gain any traction, thanks to its continued instability and lack of mindshare, from users and web developers.

Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, a rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser. Codenamed Anaheim, this new web browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML is dead.

The company internal name for this web browser is: Anaheim. And Windows Central believes that we may get it sooner than later, in time with the next version of Windows 10 (code named simply: 19H1). Windows Central says:

I expect we'll see Anaheim get introduced throughout the 19H1 development cycle, which Insiders are currently testing in the Fast ring. This is a big deal for Windows and is one that I'm sure many people will be happy about. Microsoft's own web browser will finally be able to compete alongside Chrome, Opera and Firefox, and those who are all in with the Microsoft ecosystem will finally be getting a browser from Microsoft that works well when browsing the web.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10

So, in a way, once that will be released, Microsoft new web browser whatever it will be called, will be the same Chrome web browser you love, but using Microsoft ecosystem instead of Google one. Up to you to pick the one you prefer and the web browser interface, and related features. I expect that they'll use Edge interface and feature set at first, but now that they won't need to work on the back-end, they can focus on the front-end exclusively (or near that if they choose to add their own optimizations like Opera web browser is doing), making it catch-up to other browsers rapidly feature set.

I've never used either. People either love Chrome or just dont care for it.

https://www.computer-geek.net/what-are-the-advantages-a-va-49.html

Disadvantages:

• Chrome uses up a lot of memory (RAM) when running it.
  • If you accidently close the browser, Chrome will close all the tabs opened without warning.

Mozilla Firefox is better, with DuckDuckGo as the search engine.

if microsoft decide to use chromium and have it look even remotely similar to chrome, i will cry

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

image.png.3b41a563d3004398c9f301c74811582f.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm pleased by the announcement. However, I still have concerns.

Mainly, UI. The Edge UI is just... not very appealing, frankly. It strayed too far from the "traditional" browser UI, and lost some usability in it's quest for simplicity.

So, I hope the new Chromium based browser will use a UI at least a little bit closer to standard Chromium - slap some MS logos on it, and maybe match the style of buttons, etc, to the Windows 10 style.

I also hope it's compatible with Chromium add-ons - in theory you might even be able to use Chrome Store add-ons, since you can already use those on regular vanilla Chromium.

I would seriously consider using it, assuming it had:

Chrome/Chromium extension support

Browser sync (bookmarks, extensions, passwords, etc)

A pinnable bookmarks bar

And bonus: integration with Office365/OneDrive, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Disadvantages:

• If you accidently close the browser, Chrome will close all the tabs opened without warning.

We know nothing about nothing, so I'll speculate.

For point 1, if they do take Opera route, that is do their own optimizations, it can help solve or reduce the impact of memory usage and CPU load. Opera web browser was able to do, at least the CPU part.

For point 2, if they put Chromium as their back-end and do an in-house interface at the front (basically drop EdgeHTML (Edge web browser engine name) in favor of Chromium, then this should not be a problem.

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Mozilla Firefox is better, with DuckDuckGo as the search engine.

Considering that it is nearly sure that Microsoft would want to push its own ecosystem with Cortana, like it has on Edge, it is most likely that you won't have the privacy level of Firefox. So while you can change the default search engine to DuckDuckGo of Edge as we speak, you'll be part of Microsoft ecosystem which, if you use Cortana inside (like pick a word of a food, and you can get nutritional info, or get a definition of a word), then you won't have that level privacy (assuming no change on that front from Edge).

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm pleased by the announcement. However, I still have concerns.

Mainly, UI. The Edge UI is just... not very appealing, frankly. It strayed too far from the "traditional" browser UI, and lost some usability in it's quest for simplicity.

So, I hope the new Chromium based browser will use a UI at least a little bit closer to standard Chromium - slap some MS logos on it, and maybe match the style of buttons, etc, to the Windows 10 style.

I also hope it's compatible with Chromium add-ons - in theory you might even be able to use Chrome Store add-ons, since you can already use those on regular vanilla Chromium.

I would seriously consider using it, assuming it had:

Chrome/Chromium extension support

Browser sync (bookmarks, extensions, passwords, etc)

A pinnable bookmarks bar

And bonus: integration with Office365/OneDrive, etc.

I agree. But for the Browser Sync, expect to only do sync if you have Edge (or whatever it will be renamed to, if it does) on your Android/iOS device.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I agree. But for the Browser Sync, expect to only do sync if you have Edge (or whatever it will be renamed to, if it does) on your Android/iOS device.

I'm less concerned about PC to Mobile sync - I have sync already setup on both FF and Chrome, and literally never use it to sync to PC.

No - I use it to sync between different PC's - and as a backup/quick setup for a new install, etc.

Do you know what Rendering Engine Edge for Mobile uses? I assume iOS it uses webkit, since I think iOS enforces all browsers to use webkit? What about Android? Does it use the EdgeHTML renderer?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The web browser restarted from scratch with the code name Spartan as a replacement to IE, looked very promising on paper, but due to number of bugs, rendering issues, lack of support from developers early on,

Why not just open source it like what Apple did with WebKit way back in 2005. Or better yet, why use Chromium when they can fork WebKit like what Google did which gave us Chrome? Outside of Apple, Google is perhaps one of the biggest contributors to WebKit. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

57 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I was considering switching to Firefox a while back and I did a little research on it and nowadays Chrome is actually better than many other browsers like firefox when it comes to ram usage. The difference isn't huge but in general Firefox does use more. I tested it myself and with the same tabs open it was something like 3.5 gb vs 3.8

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

You mean that Microsoft will actually ship a competent browser with their OS instead of a browser that's only good for downloading another browser?

That might be the single most smart decision MICROSOFT has done in recent years, but I will still remain skeptical until I see and use the finished product

Jokes aside, we'll now use MICROSOFT's Chromium browser to install Chrome

2o3kvj.jpg.f54a8905da91e0ccfb3aa62b0eb9b095.jpg

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Chromium is Chrome without Google ecosystem and user data tracking from Google. So I don't understand your picture.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Chromium is Chrome without Google ecosystem and user data tracking from Google. So I don't understand your picture.

Oh I thought Chromium was just an early version of chrome.

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm less concerned about PC to Mobile sync - I have sync already setup on both FF and Chrome, and literally never use it to sync to PC.

No - I use it to sync between different PC's - and as a backup/quick setup for a new install, etc.

Do you know what Rendering Engine Edge for Mobile uses? I assume iOS it uses webkit, since I think iOS enforces all browsers to use webkit? What about Android? Does it use the EdgeHTML renderer?

Correct. Apple forces all web browsers to use its webkit in order to allow the app to its store.

For Android, Edge uses Blink, a Chromium project.

RIP Edge my 2nd browser. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Correct. Apple forces all web browsers to use its webkit in order to allow the app to its store.

For Android, Edge uses Blink, a Chromium project. In other words, Chromium mobile web browser

Interesting - I've never used Edge on iOS or Android. Safari or Chrome on iOS just seemed like a no-brainer. And on Android, I typically stick to Chrome or FF.

I did use Edge extensively when I still ran with a Windows 10 Mobile smartphone.

Rip good second option. All that's left is Firefox.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My guess they would remodel chromium so that it still looks like edge.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Could they not bundle Firefox? It's a free product but do they charge licensing? It's bundled with Ubuntu, but Ubuntu itself is free too...

I give Microsoft credit for knowing when to throw in the towel, there are better things to work on then Edge, maybe this new browser might be alright.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah it'll be Chromium based and set by default to use Bing and sends your browsing activity to MS in the background

No thx 

I mean, it's not like Google isn't doing the same thing...

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Ok, I'm not familiar with the PRISM program, thanks for pointing it out, I'll have a look.

EDIT: So apparently PRISM was in use in Microsoft products since 2007, which means Windows 7 most likely used it, but at least it didn't make the OS a bloated as Windows 10 feels.

To play the other-side, it's a cliche I know, but if I have 'nothing to hide' why should I be overtly concerned with my privacy? I'm not having a jab at anyone I'm genuinely curious on people's thoughts.