Microsoft to include Chromium in Windows 10 (Edge will use Chromium engine, which Chrome extention support)

GoodBytes
45 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

If you think software is bad now, you have no idea how bad it would be without telemetry stuff.

I sincerely hope you're being facetious.  Do you know how useless telemetry can be?  When Opera first switched from Presto to Blink (Chromium), they actually believed that virtually none of their customers used bookmarks, so they intentionally left them out.  They left out the ability to save bookmarks in a browser because of telemetry.  It's one of the reasons I held out so long in switching from PrOpera.

I'd rather developers just focus on making intelligent design choices, rather than trying for some pie-in-the-sky, telemetry-powered approach.

I'd use it on the side at times, it worked quite well and was very fast. I get slower updates and lack of features though. I mainly use Opera and Vivaldi too. But interesting move really. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I sincerely hope you're being facetious.  Do you know how useless telemetry can be?  When Opera first switched from Presto to Blink (Chromium), they actually believed that virtually none of their customers used bookmarks, so they intentionally left them out.  They left out the ability to save bookmarks in a browser because of telemetry.  It's one of the reasons I held out so long in switching from PrOpera.

I'd rather developers just focus on making intelligent design choices, rather than trying for some pie-in-the-sky, telemetry-powered approach.

It's also a very bad thing to assume that the majority of people know what they want/need, or let the majority rule over minorities.

For example I doubt more than 1% of Windows users use static IPs. Does that mean that feature should be removed? If we blindly followed the idea that telemetry is great and we should add/remove features based on it, then it would be removed. That would be catastrophic because that 1% that do use it needs it.

The number of users is not an indication of how important something is.

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Chrome on Windows not being able to play full HD in Netflix is not a limitation of chrome. Chrome supports everything that Netflix requires for full HD.

It's the (Microsoft developed) DRM which prevents Chrome from playing it in Windows. From what I've heard (although I haven't confirmed it 100%) is that the DRM does not allow third party browsers to play it, because they are labeled as untrustworthy. That's why you can play full HD Netflix in Chrome on ChromeOS but not on Windows.

Chrome is a first party browser on ChromeOS, so therefore it can play 1080p.

Chrome is a third party browser on Windows, so therefore it is not allowed (because of the DRM) to play 1080p.

Since this new browser will be a first party browser it should work with 1080p.

Since the new browser will be chromium, would it be easier to 'hack' Netflix into playing 1080p on Chrome?

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I actually liked Edge, has the best scrolling experience I've tried so far, also on touchscreen it is more usable.

20 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Is it Chromium itself with Microsoft branding, or is it Blink with Microsoft's front-end similar to what Vivaldi is?

We don't know any details yet. We have to wait for Microsoft official statement for more information. Let alone, know when.

But I believe they'll do like Edge on Android (or Vivaldi), where the engine is Blink, and have its own interface (which will probably be identical to Edge now, at least for version/phase 1). In addition, they'll add their DRM and use the same video/audio codec that they use in Edge, and maybe, either now or later, implement optimization work of the engine (probably try to port what they learned from EdgeHTML engine to Chromium, if they can and if it applies). This should result in a web browser that is like Chrome, but uses Microsoft ecosystem instead of Google, and have feature set like reduce CPU usage (and as a result, reduce the impact on the battery for mobile devices)

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Telemetry is in no way shape or form required for making good programs. There are countless of fantastic programs out there which do not use telemetry, or at least make it optional. How do they know which features to implement and remove? Common sense and listening to feedback.

Yeah, in theory you are correct.

In practice. Nope. Telemetry gives a way to set priorities, which every successful company HAS to do in order to stay relevant.

You can only have that much luck in hitting all the correct feature sets, but even if you do, you will need to keep it updated.

Thats from a coder point of view.

Now, from a consumer point of view i would hate to wait longer for good updates, just because the company can't figure out what to put on priority.

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I sincerely hope you're being facetious.  Do you know how useless telemetry can be?  When Opera first switched from Presto to Blink (Chromium), they actually believed that virtually none of their customers used bookmarks, so they intentionally left them out.  They left out the ability to save bookmarks in a browser because of telemetry.

Just because some companies don't use the data correctly, does not mean it is bad for development.

Honestly i don't see a way that telemetry told them users would not use bookmarks,... that must have been some crazy badly implemented code or analysis tbh.

But sure, managers, analysist and all the other teams that interfere with development can screw up. No matter how great the data may be. The chance for this happening without data is tremendously bigger tho.

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

chrome

Gotta wonder what Chrome is doing behind the scene's to profit!

On 12/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, Tech Enthusiast said:

Dear god, no!

Without telemetry software would suck big donkey balls most of the time.

We would constantly get software that does stuff we never use and not stuff we actually want to use. Most features we take for granted would not work at all.

If you think software is bad now, you have no idea how bad it would be without telemetry stuff.

TLDR: No telemetry will ever replace proper software engineering/testing/QA.

Have you been totally brainwashed by MS? you have no idea what you are talking about.

People actually believe this nonesense of telemetry= better software LOL. No such thing thats the lamest excuse everyone who collects data use.

There is something called bug reporting which shouldnt be automatic and crash log files etc.

Imagine if what you said was true then all the software in the world that was ever made would not work at all since most of it had no telemetry, its in the recent years this trend of data collection accelerated.

Its the duty of the software developers to properly test their software on as many machines as possible and you need a good QA team to vet features fully.

MS no longer has any QA its all on the telemtry and insiders which clearly does not work, windows is becoming more broken with each update, they have shitty developers with shitty practices and probably small QA team.

Data collection aka telemetry does not help improve software at all, if you ever programmed anything thats more than 50 lines you should know collecting data wont help by itself, you need a proper team to design /test/ QA each feature or bug fix, if they did that properly they would not need data collection, they dont even use it to improve windows its just a sham.

Writing tests for software and test scenarios is one big branch of the IT world, MS seems to have thrown that out the window, otherwise if they had proper tests and QA it would be almost impossible to miss bugs like the one that deleted all the documents or bsod.

Look at linux  developed entirely open source with 0 telemetry from the users both desktop or server and somehow manages to be more stable than anything else in existance.

When is the last time your android linux phone had a BSOD or deleted all your files? oh wait Linux doesnt even have a BSOD concept, ive never seen a linux kernel panic since i use anything based on linux.

How is that possible? well read above thats how its possible to get such stability, with 0 telemetry.

Windows is garbage software it was never good, all versions had massive issues, win7 the least but still same old terrible arhitecture, they took over the market and everyone makes software for windows mainly, if there was anything similar to android for x86(no port or emulator) windows would not exist anymore.

But I can just use regular chromium instead?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

43 minutes ago, williamcll said:

But I can just use regular chromium instead?

Why wouldn't you be able to...?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

TLDR: No telemetry will ever replace proper software engineering/testing/QA.

I was right with you, until you started going off on the Linux rant.  No software is perfect, and while MS does need to clean up their development process (firing their bug testing team was a horrendously stupid move), it's unfair to say that it's "garbage software it was never good".  You say that you've never seen a kernel panic on Linux, well I've rarely ever seen a BSOD on my systems in 25 years (with one notable exception, but that was my own obstinance in the face of a bad motherboard).  The few times it's happened, it turned out to be hardware/driver related, not Windows itself.  You claim Android doesn't crash, but my Android phone has rebooted randomly on me.  I'd call that crashing.

The point being, that all software has issues and you can't just say one is "garbage" while glossing over flaws in others, based solely on your own anecdotal experience.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I was right with you, until you started going off on the Linux rant.  No software is perfect, and while MS does need to clean up their development process (firing their bug testing team was a horrendously stupid move), it's unfair to say that it's "garbage software it was never good".  You say that you've never seen a kernel panic on Linux, well I've rarely ever seen a BSOD on my systems in 25 years (with one notable exception, but that was my own obstinance in the face of a bad motherboard).  The few times it's happened, it turned out to be hardware/driver related, not Windows itself.  You claim Android doesn't crash, but my Android phone has rebooted randomly on me.  I'd call that crashing.

The point being, that all software has issues and you can't just say one is "garbage" while glossing over flaws in others, based solely on your own anecdotal experience.

Fanboys exist for every ecosystem my friend.

Linux is great for many things - there's absolutely no denying that. But to say Windows has always been garbage? That is actually absurd.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Personally my last BSOD i got on windows what on Vista and Windows 7 was just about to come out so i was eager to cleanup and rebuild my computer that was in 2009-2010. None in the last 8 years. Got 2 kernel crash with Ubuntu and 1 with Debian in the last 8 years. Overall i would say it's pretty pretty rare these days no matter the OS.

As for telemetry data i don't agree as it wont replace anything. Depends how it is used. I am NOT saying they are all well used. Overall no matter how your good architect if the client find it crap it doesn't matter. You software need to match your client expectations if you want to get paid. Clients never tell you everything. They tell you they use function X 90% of the day while function Y is nothing and then they complain it's slow and you should work on the issues to make their work better. With telemetry you can identify the user patterns and find out they actually use the function Y is used more often while X is barely used by 1 person which is the guy who told you those stats.

In short engineering, testing and QA are all bias while telemetry isn't.

Again i am talking about good usage of telemetry.

Some Linux users will be familiar with Chromium. From my experience, it's nearly identical to Chrome (in Linux anyways). You sign in the same way and it syncs everything (extensions, bookmarks etc.) just the as Chrome.

What M$ will do with "their version" of Chromium, I don't know. I'll still prefer to use manually installed Chrome instead of this in Windows.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

26 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

What M$ will do with "their version" of Chromium, I don't know. I'll still prefer to use manually installed Chrome instead of this in Windows.  

I can guaranty you that it give you some level of privacy, while the G00gL€$ gives you none. Up to you.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I can guaranty you that it give you some level of privacy, while the G00gL€$ gives you none. Up to you.

So many things track what you do these days. Very difficult to avoid it altogether. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Will it have anything to do with Google? I want an option for a browser that has nothing to do with google sometimes and edge serves that purpose.

Ok what am i missing here? I'm not seeing any information that Microsoft is replacing Edge with Chromium.

A couple of microsoft devs just made some commits adding ARM64 support to Chromium:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/q/owner:Tom.Tan%40microsoft.com

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/q/owner:jkunkee%40microsoft.com

Which doesn't mean anything. Devs contribute to open source projects all the time.

Did you guys even read the article? 95% of it is speculation, backed up by nothing.

11 minutes ago, bigmoney said:

Ok what am i missing here? I'm not seeing any information that Microsoft is replacing Edge with Chromium.

A couple of microsoft devs just made some commits adding ARM64 support to Chromium:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/q/owner:Tom.Tan%40microsoft.com

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/q/owner:jkunkee%40microsoft.com

Which doesn't mean anything. Devs contribute to open source projects all the time.

Did you guys even read the article? 95% of it is speculation, backed up by nothing.

I'm pretty sure the author is using an "insider source" to confirm it.

You can definitely call that a rumour, and certainly take it with a pinch of salt, but the code changes are only part of the article.

Whether or not the "source" is correct or not? Only Microsoft knows.

24 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Will it have anything to do with Google? I want an option for a browser that has nothing to do with google sometimes and edge serves that purpose.

Nothing with Google. Visually, you'll probably not notice a thing from Edge right now.

You can see it as:

Microsoft takes out EdgeHTML from Edge, and will put Chromium engine instead.

Google takes Chromium and adds it services and calls it Chrome.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Nothing with Google. Visually, you'll probably not notice a thing from Edge right now.

You can see it as:

Microsoft takes out EdgeHTML from Edge, and will put Chromium engine instead.

Google takes Chromium and adds it services and calls it Chrome.

While some (a very minor amount of) people might actually like the Edge UI and layout, frankly, that's one of it's biggest problems. It's just not a great UI, and is missing a lot of common features/UI elements we take for granted elsewhere.

So if Microsoft simply takes Edge as-is, and replacing the rendering engine without changing anything else?

1. Hardly anyone will notice

2. Hardly anyone will switch back to it

3. Hardly anyone will like it any more than now

If Microsoft wants to increase browser marketshare, replacing the Engine is insufficient for the task at hand.