Wallmart kills OVERPOWERED Prebuilt PCs - [UPDATE - They're back!... Now with a $400 discount!]

Spotty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Walmart has dropped the price of all the models by $400!

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I'm seeing price drops for all 3:

• DTW1 $999.00 (From $1199)
  • DTW2 $1499.00 (From $1899)
  • DTW3 $1699.00 (From $2099)

Wow, those are some huge drops. Keep in mind the DTW1 was initially $1399 but was already dropped to $1199. They've all got $400 discounts across the board.

Let's do a price check compared to if you bought similar/matching components...

DTW1 - $999

DTW2 - $1499

DTW3 - $1699

Even when you consider things like the crappy PSU, crappy motherboard, single stick of 16GB of RAM on DTW1, and other nagging issues, the prices actually work out to be pretty good value for a pre built.

I really wonder if Walmart is clearing out existing stock/fulfilling contracts on the product line just to get rid of them. May even be selling at or below cost. They have been out for less than a month and are already seeing a $400 discount.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

LOL

True, their clothing even sucks!

I tend to shop at Kohls for clothing or I wait till Christmas and ask for cloths. Great holiday to fill your closet. :D 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

That was with the lesser CPU and lesser graphics card which means significantly less heat output internally. A 6 hour torture test would have given a better indication of thermal properties of the case, especially since there's no easy way to simulate getting choked with dust as those PCs invariably will be.

As was pointed out it was the same CPU etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How can it be fake news when it was actually removed from their site, when this topic was created, that's a bit unfair.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

24 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

How can it be fake news when it was actually removed from their site, when this topic was created, that's a bit unfair.

@Spotty besides LMG themselves were thinking the same thing too. 

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's fake news in the sense that I don't like it, so I'm pretending it's not true. #fakenews  /s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Walmart PC buyers will care less about VRMS on a motherboard. It's the reason why I find it odd as to why Steve would even criticized about it, It's like reviewing a family car and then criticizing it because it lacks the quality of an F1 racer. Sometimes we techies get too focus on the technical end, that we seem to forget who those PC are targeting at. Those Walmart OP gaming desktop PC, isn't design for the DIYers and enthusiast.

that still does not mean they should use crappy stuff that will fail sooner than more quality components, or will limit the ability to upgrade.

She/Her

Are there any reviews of the higher end models yet? 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

that was almost Gamersnexus, if Walmart didn't ship them the wrong thing ._.

Seems PCmag got the dtw3.

Mainly I wanted to know if they changed the mobo and it appears they did. Along with usb3 headers on the case. I didn't dig to much deeper tho as I mostly got what I wanted to know.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/365263/overpowered-gaming-desktop-dtw3

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Seems per TechSpot the PCs were unlisted to update some system specs/details.

Update 12/05/2018: A representative for Esports Arena -- the company responsible for designing Walmart's Overpowered desktops -- has reached out to inform us that the machines were "briefly removed" from sale in order to update their product information, but they are once again available for purchase.

https://www.techspot.com/news/77704-walmart-pulls-overpowered-gaming-desktop-pcs-sale-following.html 

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Wow, those are some huge drops. Keep in mind the DTW1 was initially $1399 but was already dropped to $1199. They've all got $400 discounts across the board.

DTW1 - $999

DTW2 - $1499

DTW3 - $1699

Even when you consider things like the crappy PSU, crappy motherboard, single stick of 16GB of RAM on DTW1, and other nagging issues, the prices actually work out to be pretty good value for a pre built.

I really wonder if Walmart is clearing out existing stock/fulfilling contracts on the product line just to get rid of them. May even be selling at or below cost. They have been out for less than a month and are already seeing a $400 discount.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

44 minutes ago, Spotty said:

DTW1 - $999

DTW2 - $1499

DTW3 - $1699

On the higher models they don't use the H310 chipset mobo, it's h370 and 2 sticks of ram, and they have usb3.0 on the case. So with the savings, go buy some cans of air to dust the computer periodically and replace the PSU outright.

Just now, dtaflorida said:

On the higher models they don't use the H310 chipset mobo, and they have usb3.0 on the case. So with your savings, go buy some cans of air to dust the computer periodically. 

Yep. The DTW2 uses the Gigabyte H370M DS3H motherboard, and I assume it's the same used in the DTW3 however I haven't seen any images of the motherboard in the DTW3 to confirm. Resolves a lot of the issues from the H310M motherboard used in the DTW1.

Spoiler

DTW2 Internal shot:

DTW2.png

59 minutes ago, SpDmnAdam said:

Seems per TechSpot the PCs were unlisted to update some system specs/details.

https://www.techspot.com/news/77704-walmart-pulls-overpowered-gaming-desktop-pcs-sale-following.html 

I wonder if part of the change they made was to replace the H310M in the DTW1 with the H370M DS3H? Would resolve a lot of complaints reviewers/customers had like the USB C adapter, lack of USB 3.0, single stick memory, DMI, etc.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yep. The DTW2 uses the Gigabyte H370M DS3H motherboard, and I assume it's the same used in the DTW3 however I haven't seen any images of the motherboard in the DTW3 to confirm. Resolves a lot of the issues from the H310M motherboard used in the DTW1.

Reveal hidden contents

DTW2 Internal shot:

DTW2.png

I wonder if part of the change they made was to replace the H310M in the DTW1 with the H370M DS3H? Would resolve a lot of complaints reviewers/customers had like the USB C adapter, lack of USB 3.0, single stick memory, DMI, etc.

I hope Steve gets the model he ordered and does a full teardown again. Or Bitwit.

23 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

On the higher models they don't use the H310 chipset mobo, it's h370 and 2 sticks of ram, and they have usb3.0 on the case. So with the savings, go buy some cans of air to dust the computer periodically and replace the PSU outright.

Don't even need to buy cans of compressed air. Remove the front glass panel and buy one of these magnetic 360mm dust filters from Amazon and stick on the front of the case. Will drastically improve air flow and temps (by up to almost 30C measured by GamersNexus in their testing)

https://www.amazon.com/DEMCiflex-Filter-Alphacool-Radiator-360mm/dp/B01IABYCGS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544048547&sr=8-3&keywords=360mm+fan+filter

Gamers Nexus have published their testing of the Great Wall PSU used in the Walmart PCs.

Won't quote the full review article, but here's the conclusion. You can check the link below to read the full article, or watch the youtube video.

Conclusion: Not So Bad

The power supply is actually “fine.” It’s really not offensive. The Great Wall 500W 80 Plus unit in Walmart’s Overpowered DTW1 gaming PC is, perhaps shockingly to some, one of the least offensive things that Walmart’s partners did when building this product. The case is truly horrible, as we’ve demonstrated, the parts selection is overall poor (H310 chipset limits DMI speed, even), the assembly is questionable (cables disconnect on arrival, in a few cases), and the value is bad. The power supply, however, will not “blow up” under any normal conditions. We tested it overloaded to 615W and it survived, and beyond that, OCP trips and triggers a shutdown.

Now, the power supply is still bad value for the buyer of a $2000+ computer. Ripple is fine, efficiency is fine, but we’d like to see something better than “fine” for that kind of money. Even the DTW1 is sort of pushing it.

Alas, as a power supply, it is simply OK. Not bad, not amazing. Walmart still should have done better on just about every aspect of this system, but it will probably not blow up.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3413-walmart-great-wall-power-supply-benchmark-review

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

nice! no teardown and board analysis though ,_,

Tech Jesus does not want to be electro-crucified. 

More seriously, just finished watching the video. Given the way they cheaped out on everything else, that was a surprisingly acceptable PSU. But GN only got the DTW1. The DTW3 with the 1080 Ti really should get a better PSU. Though I believe it was Linus that said that Powder Coating costs in the "tenth of cents" range on large volume products, so the blank metal look is normally a huge red flag these days.

Thus, it's the VRMs on the motherboard that'd likely to go first on these systems.

22 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

nice! no teardown and board analysis though ,_,

I was surprised that we didn't see it in the video or the written article, as it looks as if they did do it.

Their PSU testing seemed a little basic, with most of the video was looking at efficiency curve. Annoyingly Steve read out the efficiency values for every 10% load, and meant the efficiency graph took almost 3 minutes to show! (5:10 - 8:00). For something that is relatively insignificant, it was given way too much emphasis and time.
They are new to PSU testing, and are still setting up equipment and working out their testing methodology as noted in the video, so hopefully we will see some improvement as they continue to work on PSU testing. I am glad they're doing it though, as it will be good to see more reviewers doing proper PSU testing, especially in the video format and not just written.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

More seriously, just finished watching the video. Given the way they cheaped out on everything else, that was a surprisingly acceptable PSU. But GN only got the DTW1. The DTW3 with the 1080 Ti really should get a better PSU.

The DTW2 and DTW3 do have different power supplies (assuming the photos on the Walmart website are accurate). It annoyed me a little that Steve commented at the end how you're paying over $2000 (for the DTW3) and you should get a better power supply. Though, in their defence they would know that the DTW2/DTW3 had a different PSU if Walmart didn't ship them the wrong unit! :D 

I've already replied to their tweet about the PSU testing correcting them (because I'm apparently that sort of person) :P

Spoiler

PS. I really hate Twitters text limit. I only have a twitter for entering competitions, but how the hell do people use this thing?

@Spotty didn't realize the pictures were different with the other models, on the PSU. We haven't seen any of them in the wild yet, so I can't say I looked at the pictures for the PSU.  Still, someone is going to put this case in a corner with the back too close to the wall and melt their motherboard. At least capacitor quality has generally improved, otherwise these would be prime potential for popping all of the caps.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:46 PM, Spotty said:

Gamers Nexus have published their testing of the Great Wall PSU used in the Walmart PCs.

Won't quote the full review article, but here's the conclusion. You can check the link below to read the full article, or watch the youtube video.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3413-walmart-great-wall-power-supply-benchmark-review

Oh hey, whoda thunk it... The PSU is fine.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Nah, GN must be lying, LTT has me reliably informed that it is definitely shit. 9_9

I really hope at least A few people will learn not to pre judge anything,  it really is frustrating when you can't have a decent conversation because every second comment is a naive regurgitation of some uniformed moron on the internet. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Group regulated, so it's crap. Not immediately dying and not going out of spec in unrealistically ideal circumstances ≠ fine. 

:)