Wallmart kills OVERPOWERED Prebuilt PCs - [UPDATE - They're back!... Now with a $400 discount!]

Spotty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Walmart has dropped the price of all the models by $400!

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I'm seeing price drops for all 3:

• DTW1 $999.00 (From $1199)
  • DTW2 $1499.00 (From $1899)
  • DTW3 $1699.00 (From $2099)

Wow, those are some huge drops. Keep in mind the DTW1 was initially $1399 but was already dropped to $1199. They've all got $400 discounts across the board.

Let's do a price check compared to if you bought similar/matching components...

DTW1 - $999

DTW2 - $1499

DTW3 - $1699

Even when you consider things like the crappy PSU, crappy motherboard, single stick of 16GB of RAM on DTW1, and other nagging issues, the prices actually work out to be pretty good value for a pre built.

I really wonder if Walmart is clearing out existing stock/fulfilling contracts on the product line just to get rid of them. May even be selling at or below cost. They have been out for less than a month and are already seeing a $400 discount.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

*snip*

psu.png.cc97f6f21e5bdf892ae3f8f34111add5.png

What is weird is I can't find a model GW-6000(80+) on the manufacture website. There is a GW06000(85+) PSU

http://www.gwoversea.com/T-series01.html

In fact I can't find it on any website... I would be very surprised if it was really any sort of 80+ PSU.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, seon123 said:

GW isn't exactly a no name brand. They're one of the major PSU OEMs. They're the OEM of the Corsair SF, TXM, CS and CX. 

all PSU's i personally wouldn't trust with a high end system. i did build a pc for my parents with a TX550M in it, but that's a core i3 paired with a gtx 1050, and that psu has been fine. 

the only manufacturer (or OEM technically in my case) i trust with my main system is seasonic. i've got a Corsair AX860 in it, which is made by them, and i wouldn't trust anything else. 

She/Her

45 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Warlmart's

*Walmart's

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

What is weird is I can't find a model GW-6000(80+) on the manufacture website. There is a GW06000(85+) PSU

http://www.gwoversea.com/T-series01.html

In fact I can't find it on any website... I would be very surprised if it was really any sort of 80+ PSU.

You can find it here: http://www.greatwall.cn/Public/PowerProduct.aspx?id=99586b2e-6aa5-41c7-872f-945213824dd9

Use Google Translate if needed.

At 220v input voltage, it claims 80% or better at full load, and 85% or better at "typical" load (which I would guess it's something like 100-150 watts)

At 110v, I would say drop around 3% in efficiency from those numbers, if you're optimist.

A version of it is sold on this website for ¥2300 (if you buy 20 or more) : https://www.china.cn/fuwuqipeijian/4139143814.html

That's around 20$ ... and it looks like it's the model with black case and sleeving on the 24 atx cable.

Assume it's around 0.5$ less for no sleeving and regular metal case.

8 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I would be very surprised if it was really any sort of 80+ PSU.

wouldn't it have the familiar logo on it if it was?

She/Her

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A version of it is sold on this website for ¥2300 (if you buy 20 or more) : https://www.china.cn/fuwuqipeijian/4139143814.html

That's around 20$ ... and it looks like it's the model with black case and sleeving on the 24 atx cable.

Assume it's around 0.5$ less for no sleeving and regular metal case.

oh. my. god. prepare for reports of those psu's blowing up. 

i've had experience with a €40 psu. that blew up after 2 months (if i remember correctly) and took a motherboard, all the ram in the mobo and even an audio interface connected to the pc with it. the cpu was fine though interestingly... 

She/Her

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@seon123  Here's where Steve from GN looks at the PSU.

Spoiler

psu.png.cc97f6f21e5bdf892ae3f8f34111add5.png

I dunno, it only having 24A over the 12 volt rail seems kinda crap for being a 500W unit, besides it not even being painted that costs cents to do. There are reputable OEM brand 450W PSU's which have over 30A over the 12V rail.

27 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

You don't have to have the sticker you do know that right?

So the unit is so cheap they couldn't put the sticker on it?  It might be decent for the i7 8700 and a gtx1060 but we have no idea how good it actually is.  I still wouldn't trust it in a $1,200 gaming PC.

Well that's depressing to hear. Walmart had some potential there and giving up after their first attempt is just bad business practice, companies rarely get the first attempt correct but as you saw in Linus' video they did a lot of things right that others did not and at a really reasonable price.

-KuJoe

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I dunno, it only having 24A over the 12 volt rail seems kinda crap for being a 500W unit, besides it not even being painted that costs cents to do.

So the unit is so cheap they couldn't put the sticker on it?  It might be decent for the i7 8700 and a gtx1060 but we have no idea how good it actually is.  I still wouldn't trust it in a $1,200 gaming PC.

see my post above. the €40 psu i'm talking about was labeled as 500W. 

that build was the following: 

Core 2 Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.7ghz)

8GB DDR2

Asus P5Q Deluxe (i'm so mad that board is dead) 

GTX 1050

the walmart build comsumes a lot more than that i would imagine... and the psu in that system i had blew up after 2 months... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

they did a lot of things right that others did not and at a really reasonable price.

what exactly?

She/Her

I'm not surprised. Luckily, no more unsuspecting grandmothers buying their grandkids PCs will be shipped the wrong model, expecting great performance.

30 minutes ago, Spotty said:

seon123  Here's where Steve from GN looks at the PSU

Thank you. 

I couldn't find it on the 80+ website. I did find the other GW-6000 (**+) PSUs, which appear to be 500W, but not the (80+). All certified in 2011. 

The various GW-**** (80+) units are 80+ White certified, but no mention of the GW-6000. All certified within two days of each other, in 2010. 

The PSU in the video seems to have a stamped grille. The others seem to have wire grilles, though. 

Edited by seon123
"wire", not "quite". Damn autocorrect

:)

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I dunno, it only having 24A over the 12 volt rail seems kinda crap for being a 500W unit, besides it not even being painted that costs cents to do.

There's multiple 12V rails. 24A + 21A = 540W. 24A@12V (288W) on the rails for peripherals (PCIe) will be fine for most GPUs... Though, I wouldn't trust it to actually deliver that.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

what exactly?

To be fair, the cable management on the back side of the case was pretty decent for a pre built. Something that was consistent across GNs, Bitwits, and LTTs systems.

1016601519_cablemanagement.png.ef8755c4d036e82dbc8a4302000037d0.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

To be fair, the cable management on the back side of the case was pretty decent for a pre built. Something that was consistent across GNs, Bitwits, and LTTs systems.

although for me to consider cable management decent all the cables must be correctly plugged in. 

also the other side was a complete mess. 

She/Her

Just now, seon123 said:

Thank you. 

I couldn't find it on the 80+ website. I did find the other GW-6000 (**+) PSUs, which appear to be 500W, but not the (80+). All certified in 2011. 

The various GW-**** (80+) units are 80+ White certified, but no mention of the GW-6000. All certified within two days of each other, in 2010. 

The PSU in the video seems to have a stamped grille. The others seem to have quite grilles, though. 

See http://www.greatwall.cn/Public/PowerProduct.aspx?id=99586b2e-6aa5-41c7-872f-945213824dd9

It's an OEM version of this one, cheaper (no sleeving and no painted case).

It claims two rails, but i sincerely doubt they actually have two separate 12v rails. It would surprise me. But if it does, it was a bad choice. Reserving 24A for the 8pin EPS connector alone is stupid, since you're reserving around 250w and that 8700 or whatever locked CPU is, doesn't use more than 150 watts.

26 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart has another vendor re-package all the components into different cases as a rebrand.

You know exactly that is what they will do.

They will keep the same vendor, implement some internal QC with them.

Re badge the pc's

and profit

17 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the only manufacturer (or OEM technically in my case) i trust with my main system is seasonic.

What? So you would turn down things like the AX1600i and CM MIJ? Not saying any of the GW made PSUs are quite that good, but come on... There are some options that Seasonic can't compete against atm. 

Well, Corsair seems to be adding some new Seasonic made PSUs, with their AX850 and AX1000, both Titanium rated. So that's good news for you, I guess. Not yet announced, and no media outlet even mentions them, but you can find them on Cybenetics and 80+. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Just now, mariushm said:

It claims two rails, but i sincerely doubt they actually have two separate 12v rails. It would surprise me. But if it does, it was a bad choice. Reserving 24A for the 8pin EPS connector alone is stupid, since you're reserving around 250w and that 8700 or whatever locked CPU is, doesn't use more than 150 watts.

Could be reasons for the separation, but its marketing lies, or a manufacturing short cut. I would think keeping the EMI down is a good reason.

what exactly?

Linus outlined them in his video. Had they taken the feedback provided and used it to make a better second version of the line-up I'm positive that after getting much better reviews next time around they'd start selling them at a volume that would let them drop the price to below the cost of the hardware itself (this is basically Walmart's model) which would only benefit the consumers who don't build their own allowing a lower barrier of entry into higher end gaming. 

-KuJoe

Just now, seon123 said:

What? So you would turn down things like the AX1600i and CM MIJ? Not saying any of the GQ made PSUs are quite that good, but come on... There are some options that Seasonic can't compete against atm. 

Corsair AX i would trust, but i'd prefer to have seasonic. 

besides i don't need 1600W... anytime soon... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Linus outlined them in his video. Had they taken the feedback provided and used it to make a better second version of the line-up I'm positive that after getting much better reviews next time around they'd start selling them at a volume that would let them drop the price to below the cost of the hardware itself (this is basically Walmart's model) which would only benefit the consumers who don't build their own allowing a lower barrier of entry into higher end gaming. 

i would highly doubt that... or that they could do better. not plugging in a gpu is on another level of not doing stuff properly. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

See http://www.greatwall.cn/Public/PowerProduct.aspx?id=99586b2e-6aa5-41c7-872f-945213824dd9

It's an OEM version of this one, cheaper (no sleeving and no painted case).

I really doubt the outlets like Jonnyguru, Anandtech, etc would test an OEM unit like this, but I would actually love it for GamersNexus to test this PSU with their new PSU testing equipment they've been setting up for a while. AFAIK GN doesn't have a hot box or anything like that, but I'm sure just putting the full rated load on it will create a fireworks show.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

i would highly doubt that... or that they could do better. not plugging in a gpu is on another level of not doing stuff properly.  

Change out the cases in China so when they come in off the boat on the mainland they are ready to stock the shelves.

The existing ones would need to dump or replace cases, rebrand.

Just now, Spotty said:

There's multiple 12V rails. 24A + 21A = 540W. 24A@12V (288W) on the rails for peripherals (PCIe) will be fine for most GPUs... Though, I wouldn't trust it to actually deliver that.

1016601519_cablemanagement.png.ef8755c4d036e82dbc8a4302000037d0.png

Also to be completely fair airflow aside the case really wasn't that bad, the RGB was excellent, Cable management was ok without being amazing and the overall underlying specification wasn't terrible.

Really the main real issues that are going to matter to 90% of people where the bad MB and PSU, Single Channel RAM, poor airflow at the front, and the general QC issues like unplugged cables.

What they got wrong was fairly wrong, but swap the MB Ram, and PSU out and use a slightly more spaced front panel with filter over the fans and this would be a pretty solid PC. A lot of it is stuff i see amateurs doing all the time. They splurge on the CPU and GPU, get a good amount of ram as cheaply as possibble, (so fewest sticks), grab a ton of RGB, (optional on the RGB, but...), and then cheap out on everything else. The QC issues and them managing to pick an unusually rough case airflow and dust wise where the only really unique to them flaws.

Bearing in mind this is a first attempt i'd give them roughly a 6-7 out of 10 overall an the 6 is only a consideration because of the QC issues on the GPU power. Otherwise a solid 7. And the PSU would really be the only reason i wouldn't be willing to recommend these as an acceptable but not amazing pre-built TBH.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

And something like that is easily fixed at little to no extra cost.

-KuJoe