Windows 10 Revised October Update (November) strikes Surface Book 2 Owners randomly with BSOD

Maticks

Users are reporting that after the revised Windows 10 October Update (November 27th Update) , The Surface Book 2 has been experiencing issues with random BSOD.

I personally only had mine update yesterday and experienced 2 BSOD at work and 5 BSOD this morning.

The error has been reported as the same for all users SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

All 30 Surface Book 2 machines at my work are having this issue. Reddit threads are popping up with a large number of users experiencing the issue.

The problem can be resolved by removing the update and system stability comes back.

Microsoft at this stage have made no comments to the cause, likely scrambling for a fix given all the issues with Octobers update deleting files.

“Bricks your Surface Book 2 to the point you have to reinstall Windows” is, curiously, not listed. Funny that.

However, this is what several users have found themselves doing as a last resort in order to get rid of the problem.

The BSOD headache manifests itself by throwing a SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error and rebooting the computer. Some users reported seeing the error repeatedly, while others are luckier, losing their work only three times a day or so.

It isn’t a good look for Microsoft’s flagship laptop (which we, incidentally, rather liked). With an eyewatering price-tag, users would be forgiven for expecting that it should be a showcase of how Windows should be.

The Register Article

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/03/surface_book_2/

https://myitforum.com/surface-book-2-hammered-by-november-27-2018-kb4467682-windows-10-update/

Microsoft Thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/bsod-systemthreadexceptionnothandled-occurs/abbfff03-1694-432f-97fb-9a5ed6c54a20

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Sounds like the same problem that affected Intel users where a block was put. I guess the block didn't apply to Surface Book 2 users due to custom package (or these users did a force upgrade).

I don't know if Intel updated the drivers since, but if they did, I would try to uninstall the Intel drivers, restart and install the official latest Intel drivers (again, if the issue has been solved).

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Microsoft should scrap Windows 10 at this point. it's an awful product breaking more and more with every update... 

I'm very happy with my Win 7 box, and various *nix boxes. We were forced to update ~400 systems at work to Win10 and have had nothing but issues with them since.

Win10, the new WinME

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like the same problem that affected Intel users where a block was put. I guess the block didn't apply to Surface Book 2 users due to custom package (or these users did a force upgrade).

I don't know if Intel updated the drivers since, but if they did, I would try to uninstall the Intel drivers, restart and install the official latest Intel drivers (again, if the issue has been solved).

I suspected that to start with and installed the offical ones from Intel. It ran fine last night till this morning. BSOD this morning. Then right after the reboot 3 times without opening anything. It's been stable an hour but anything can set it off. Mid email or even just clicking an application in the task bar. It's not impacting surface pro users. It doesn't appear to be Intel driver related.

I did notice one thing I believe a firmware update took place during that update. Not sure if it was part of the update or just my surface book 2 getting an update. It's only several weeks old. Need a bigger sample size to determine that.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm very happy with my Win 7 box, and various *nix boxes. We were forced to update ~400 systems at work to Win10 and have had nothing but issues with them since.

Win10, the new WinME

sadly i'm forced to run 10. on my laptop because of school, and on my pc because 7th gen...

She/Her

.... how do they screw up compatibility with even their own hardware? It's insane.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

6 minutes ago, kting15 said:

.... how do they screw up compatibility with even their own hardware? It's insane.

I was wondering the same thing but, it's microsoft, should we even be surprised at this point?

I guess we can officially classify their attempt to improve windows 10 as a fail.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/11/14/microsoft-transparency-windows-10-update.aspx

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I was wondering the same thing but, it's microsoft, should we even be surprised at this point?

I guess we can officially classify their attempt to improve windows 10 as a fail.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/11/14/microsoft-transparency-windows-10-update.aspx

Yes, 'cause these kind of change takes 1 day.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Yes it takes time but what kind of message do you think they send to people when they push an update to their own damn devices that breaks it?

"We will make Windows 10 better!"

few weeks later

"we broke our own devices with our own software!"

Doesn't give me confidence when it has been going downhill for months...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

They need to admit that this isn't working and just give up on this update schedule.

I doubt that, they are riding the "as a service" hype train hard and for some reason they still think windows 10 will end up "as a service" when we all know it just won't.

I agree that they should give up, but i doubt they will anytime soon.

Atm windows 10 is a mess and it's only getting worse. It's getting bloated with a bunch of software the average user doesn't care about and it gets worse with every single update. They can't keep this up because it will end up as a bloaty slow mess and they will realise one day they can no longer support it and need to start from scratch again.

That day will come, you can be sure of that. It's insane to think windows 10 will still be alive in 20 years, i just don't see that happening.

doc-weve-gone-back-in-time-no-marty-its-just-a-windows-10-october-update.jpg.e76d16db4b46c768c363c69b037a1777.jpg

48 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well it wouldn't take Microsoft very long to change their update schedule and stop breaking PC's more with updates than it intends to fix. I mean at least make the Surface a priority to get stable updates.  I agree with @kuhnerdm , who would've thought relying on unpaid beta testers would result in broken updates.

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

-snip-

Well... Shit. Then again the bug seems to be caused by the "cumulative" update, and these seem to be drivers.

qxCQfjb.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Well... Shit. Then again the bug seems to be caused by the "cumulative" update, and these seem to be drivers.

qxCQfjb.png

I honestly think its that Firmware update thats causing the issue. But it doesn't explain why when you roll back the software the problem goes away.

Intel drivers i've tried changing with the update in place and that made no difference.

STORAGE 

I have an SB2 and it happened to me too; I got like three BSODs in two days before I got pissed off enough to search it up and roll back the update. No BSODs since.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

I honestly think its that Firmware update thats causing the issue. But it doesn't explain why when you roll back the software the problem goes away.

Intel drivers i've tried changing with the update in place and that made no difference.

Microsoft likes to name drivers related to the Surface device as Firmware, which confuses things as you actually have  Firmware updates (UEFI updates). The question now is which driver or which combination of driver causes the problem.

microsoft its such <content removed>  this   could  have  beeen 100  times easier if  they didnt implement  uwp   and force  a hybrid  windows  its almoost   like win 8.0 never happened,  they learned  nothing  from it,  8.0 was pure trash until they managed to  fix it  a year later with  8.1

everywhere i look in windows  its  just full of   bloatware and increasing with every update,  there isnt  even  a shred of memeory mannagement,   frsh   booot  and os is eating  2.5/3gb ram with nothing open,  its ridiculous

Edited by SansVarnic
Content Removed

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft likes to name drivers related to the Surface device as Firmware, which confuses things as you actually have  Firmware updates (UEFI updates). The question now is which driver or which combination of driver causes the problem.

Correct its hard to tell, but given that removing the update seems to fix the issue. it could be a combination of the update and something else that was changed.

I honestly would have expected a few things.

1.) this should have been tested by Microsoft in house on their own hardware before pushing he update out.

2.) this should have been rolled out to Microsoft Insider to identify the issue or at very least beta testing the update.

STORAGE