Small enough drone with a grabber to use indoors

nox_

Hello, I'm in need of  a small enough drone with a grabber that would be agile enough to use indoors and be able to pick up some things from 50 grams up to 200 grams(more would be amazing), are there any cheap options for that? I would prefer that controlling it could be done via web browser and not any smartphone app. Is it possible to get what I need on the cheap end of things? I'm disabled and I need help picking things from the floor, high shelves and etc. If that helps I have programming background and am skilled at soldering so I can DIY some things if necessary and would bring the price down. 

Edited by noxdeouroboros

if you wanna get crazay like a pro, you could always try to build your own using something like a rpi or an arduino as the brains and then some other fancy properly designed things to go with it. 

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

1 minute ago, Shoe_Eater said:

if you wanna get crazay like a pro, you could always try to build your own using something like a rpi or an arduino as the brains and then some other fancy properly designed things to go with it. 

I'm considering that, but I would prefer not to do that if possible as of right now , I don't really have the time for that now, might do that in the future though. But I need something now, cause I spend 90 percent of my time alone, and a drone with a grabber has become almost a necessary thing because picking stuff from floors and higher shelves is kinda risky when you are alone.    

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm considering that, but I would prefer not to do that if possible as of right now , I don't really have the time for that now, might do that in the future though. But I need something now, cause I spend 90 percent of my time alone, and a drone with a grabber has become almost a necessary thing because picking stuff from floors and higher shelves is kinda risky when you are alone.    

well if it is just for grabbing things from floors and high places, you dont need a drone, since a drone would only really be useful for if you wanted to be like

"Alexa, Bring me a beer"

so you would probably be better off with one of those claw grabber things which would be much cheaper

here is an amazon link to one https://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-6130-12-Robot-Claw/dp/B000F4G5KK

and how is grabbing stuff from floors and shelves risky when alone? 

it isnt risky unless you are short like me and to reach high things you decide it is a good idea to balanc things on top of eachother to stand on. and even then if you were to fall, i'm pretty sure the chance of any issues would be around 0% unless you are over the age of 60, and even then if you are on a tech forum you probably have your phone within arms reach of you at all times, so you are never alone

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

1 minute ago, Shoe_Eater said:

well if it is just for grabbing things from floors and high places, you dont need a drone, since a drone would only really be useful for if you wanted to be like

"Alexa, Bring me a beer"

so you would probably be better off with one of those claw grabber things which would be much cheaper

here is an amazon link to one https://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-6130-12-Robot-Claw/dp/B000F4G5KK

and how is grabbing stuff from floors and shelves risky when alone? 

it isnt risky unless you are short like me and to reach high things you decide it is a good idea to balanc things on top of eachother to stand on. and even then if you were to fall, i'm pretty sure the chance of any issues would be around 0% unless you are over the age of 60, and even then if you are on a tech forum you probably have your phone within arms reach of you at all times, so you are never alone

I need something more precise than a claw grabber :) I have it, it's useful in some ways. Not to go into detail but things I would pickup need something more precise, it's not doable with a claw grabber, I tried. Grabbing stuff  from low or high places is risky when alone because of my disease, which is duchenne muscular dystrophy and because of it I will fall from my wheelchair if I have to lean down more than a little or reach up more than a little. I'm 30 years old, but If I fall down I might not be able to reach my phone because I might hurt myself while falling.Why should I risk that? And I'm 90 percent of the time alone, caregiver  only comes for an hour in the morning and half hour in the evening but not every day.  No neighbors or friends in close proximity either.   

If you find a drone that can list things when flying, it will only be able to do it if it can fly straight above it. Weight is a problem especially if it's not straight under it.

Also, don't know if flying drone is accurate enough, it depends. I don't know anything spesific tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

If you find a drone that can list things when flying, it will only be able to do it if it can fly straight above it. Weight is a problem especially if it's not straight under it.

Also, don't know if flying drone is accurate enough, it depends. I don't know anything spesific tho.

My floor plan is pretty much very very open, the drone would be able to fly straight above things  that I need picking up, I have wide open spaces in my home and very few furniture. Any info helps though, I found one drone but it carries only up to 10 grams of weight, that is no use to me.

I don't think you will find anything commercially available.  Although possible its a pretty poor application of the technology and not really well suited for it and especially won't be cheap. Very few drones are based from PC or groundstation control.  Most are designed for use with either a smartphone or a RC transmitter.  Even with all the sensor that most of the high end (1000$+) won't have the precision to pick up small objects.  Most drones nowadays use a variety of sensors, (GPS, Gyro, Accelarometer, barometer, Sonar, Optical) and those are just to control the drone itself.

If its hard for you to grab something with a tool like reach-grabber_43027_zoom0.jpg

Its going to be 10X harder for the drone to do so.

Also when the drone inevitably crashes or run low on battery how do you plan on picking it up? A drone for your drone? (although "turtle mode" is a thing now with some.)  If you don't have the dexterity to operate a grabber you defiantly don't have the motor skills needed to manually control a drone.

Also sounds like it would be a good idea to get a restraint system for your wheelchair so you don't risk falling out of it.  Also, stop storing things on shelves that make you have to do unsafe actions to reach it.  A service dog sounds much more like what you require.

8 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

I don't think you will find anything commercially available.  Although possible its a pretty poor application of the technology and not really well suited for it and especially won't be cheap. Very few drones are based from PC or groundstation control.  Most are designed for use with either a smartphone or a RC transmitter.  Even with all the sensor that most of the high end (1000$+) won't have the precision to pick up small objects.  Most drones nowadays use a variety of sensors, (GPS, Gyro, Accelarometer, barometer, Sonar, Optical) and those are just to control the drone itself.

If its hard for you to grab something with a tool like reach-grabber_43027_zoom0.jpg

Its going to be 10X harder for the drone to do so.

Also when the drone inevitably crashes or run low on battery how do you plan on picking it up? A drone for your drone? (although "turtle mode" is a thing now with some.)  If you don't have the dexterity to operate a grabber you defiantly don't have the motor skills needed to manually control a drone.

Also sounds like it would be a good idea to get a restraint system for your wheelchair so you don't risk falling out of it.  Also, stop storing things on shelves that make you have to do unsafe actions to reach it.  A service dog sounds much more like what you require.

It's not hard for me to use that tool, I use it when I need it, It just does not work all the time, especially when in comes to small objects. I have the dexterity to operate a drone, I have one and my motor skills are fine. My problem are with picking up from floors, shelves was just an example. If I have to control the drone via mobile, it's fine too. The cost is not fine though if I won't be able to pickup small objects. As for the dog, to get a trained dog on my own money is very expensive and in my country there are no possibility to get a dog for free, but I was thinking to look in to that if there are no suitable drones for my needs. As for the restraint system, I have it, but I had an accident caused by that restraint system "malfunctioning" so to speak, so I don't rely on it too much.BTW I prefer drone to be controlled via PC, but that is not required, just preferred. I'm just looking into what options I can have.