Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NotMrTaco

Can I use a dbx 286s as the only preamp to my microphone?

Posted · Original PosterOP

The title basically says it all, I'm wondering if I can use a dbx 286s with a scarlett 2i4, onto a rode procaster for a home setup. If I were to use the dbx, wouldn't that theoretically mean I wouldn't need a cloudlifter? Or would it be better to use the 2i4 with a cloudlifter or fathead, and no dbx 286s at all? Thanks!

The point of the 286 is to replicate a channel processing strip, not just to be a preamp. So if you want the analogue processing the you could use one into a line level input on an interface.

If you want to be recording the raw signal then you could simply use the preamp on a mic input on the interface. You shouldn't need a cloudlifter in either case unless you find the preamp unable to provide enough gain.

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/2/2018 at 10:12 PM, anothertom said:

The point of the 286 is to replicate a channel processing strip, not just to be a preamp. So if you want the analogue processing the you could use one into a line level input on an interface.

If you want to be recording the raw signal then you could simply use the preamp on a mic input on the interface. You shouldn't need a cloudlifter in either case unless you find the preamp unable to provide enough gain.

I forgot to mention the fact that I am going to be using a dynamic microphone, lol. My bad.