Windows 10 throttling Google Chrome?

darman

Frustratingly, Chrome has been performing awfully. When I try navigating to a website, it takes over 5 seconds to load, and sometimes says the site is unreachable. Often, refreshing will load the page, but not quickly. If I open links in new tabs, they won't load up until I have selected that tab. I have noticed, however, that if a page is loading slowly in Chrome, and I launch Microsoft Edge, the page immediately loads in Chrome. This leads me to suspect that Microsoft is making Chrome slow somehow in order to get people to switch to Edge, which "... is faster than Google Chrome".

As I know this will be asked, my internet download speed is consistently over 50 Mbps, AMD Athlon X4 750K, 8 GB RAM, SSD, etc etc.

1 minute ago, darman said:

Frustratingly, Chrome has been performing awfully. When I try navigating to a website, it takes over 5 seconds to load, and sometimes says the site is unreachable. Often, refreshing will load the page, but not quickly. If I open links in new tabs, they won't load up until I have selected that tab. I have noticed, however, that if a page is loading slowly in Chrome, and I launch Microsoft Edge, the page immediately loads in Chrome. This leads me to suspect that Microsoft is making Chrome slow somehow in order to get people to switch to Edge, which "... is faster than Google Chrome".

As I know this will be asked, my internet download speed is consistently over 50 Mbps, AMD Athlon X4 750K, 8 GB RAM, SSD, etc etc.

Try to format and clean install see if issue still hapenning.

If  you don't want to format try to run a Malwarebyte scan

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just... use Firefox?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

That's weird.

Maybe some of your Extensions are acting up? (if you use any)

Maybe something in your user profile is corrupted?

Try this - Press win+r key and open %localappdata% -> Google -> Chrome SxS folder and delete User Data.

(Please verify you synced your data to your google account, This will clear your data)

Hot damn, reinstalling Chrome fixed the problem. Why do I always over complicate the issue and forget the simple things? *facepalm* Thank goodness I'm not A+ certified. That would be embarrassing ?

Thanks for the input, guys.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is actually true, indeed windows 10 is throttling chrome, in favor of forcing edge on us. The reinstall you did simply updated chrome to a new version that made a workaround. But low and behold, windows 10 made another update that throttled it again.

To anyone experiencing this issue you can fix this by doing the following:

-Control-alt delete 

-Open task manager

-Go to services

-Right-click on cryptsvc and click stop

-Open registry editor by searching for it in windows 

-Go to HKEY_Current_users>Software>Microsoft>SystemCertificats>Root

-Right click on Root, click permissions

-Check the Full control box on all users (you, administrator, etc) 

-Once you have full control, right click on root and Delete the whole directory

-Reboot your PC, it will automatically create a fresh Root Directory

-Try Chrome Now and it will at normal speed again

Personally I believe this is out of line, as its obviously intentional.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:38 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Just... use Firefox?

Why use a browser that breaks sites (I know this from experience as a now former firefox user).

7 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Why use a browser that breaks sites (I know this from experience as a now former firefox user).

If it does, sites are badly made. Or their devs have sold their souls to MS and Google.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv