Trying to build a resume for the future.

TheGainsWizard

Just bumping this to maybe get some more readers and replies. Also, on a related note, I've always kind of wished that LTT would dive a bit into this subject as well. The whole IT field and what it takes to work in it, what it's like, challenges, requirements, lectures on principles of IT and cyber security and whatnot. I think it would be really cool and pretty interesting. But I also understand the kind of audience LTT has is probably largely not interested in that stuff. I think a sister channel that covered it would be cool though.

3 hours ago, TheGainsWizard said:

Just bumping this to maybe get some more readers and replies. Also, on a related note, I've always kind of wished that LTT would dive a bit into this subject as well. The whole IT field and what it takes to work in it, what it's like, challenges, requirements, lectures on principles of IT and cyber security and whatnot. I think it would be really cool and pretty interesting. But I also understand the kind of audience LTT has is probably largely not interested in that stuff. I think a sister channel that covered it would be cool though.

I've thought about the same thing, the only problem is it is so broad. There's so many paths you can head down in the field. I would love to see them take some time and do a career dive series, where they showcase a typical day for certain specializations. If they showed maybe a network technician for a day showing the different kinds of things they deal with and at the end sit down with them and talk about how they got into the field, what qualifications they have and or recommend to get into that job, etc. I think they could do a series like that on the tech career and start with a general video talking about what certs are available and a general overview of the paths. They could talk with several tech CEO's and hiring managers and discuss college vs experience and certs. They could even talk with some bootcamp owners and graduates of those programs. Then in the rest of the series they could do a deep dive into each specialty and the paths that can be taken. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be some of the better videos they'd make because lots of people watching are trying to get in the field and don't know how to get in and what they need to do. I know I'd sure benefit a lot from it.

@LinusTech

@RILEYISMYNAME

@LMG Ivan

@nicklmg

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I've thought about the same thing, the only problem is it is so broad. There's so many paths you can head down in the field. I would love to see them take some time and do a career dive series, where they showcase a typical day for certain specializations. If they showed maybe a network technician for a day showing the different kinds of things they deal with and at the end sit down with them and talk about how they got into the field, what qualifications they have and or recommend to get into that job, etc. I think they could do a series like that on the tech career and start with a general video talking about what certs are available and a general overview of the paths. They could talk with several tech CEO's and hiring managers and discuss college vs experience and certs. They could even talk with some bootcamp owners and graduates of those programs. Then in the rest of the series they could do a deep dive into each specialty and the paths that can be taken. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be some of the better videos they'd make because lots of people watching are trying to get in the field and don't know how to get in and what they need to do. I know I'd sure benefit a lot from it.

@LinusTech

@RILEYISMYNAME

@LMG Ivan

@nicklmg

If they did that no one would go in to help desk, technician, or desktop support roles.

I mean don't get me wrong we all have to deal with end users sometimes, but doing it all the time is a nightmare.

Trying to remember what it was over exactly, but I did get a little scolding from our CSO for telling an executive that maybe he should get his 8 year old kid to show him how to operate his surface.

In reference to the above paragraph. A proper CSiRT is self managed. If you go to an org where any old executive can cause hell and push for changes in your department... gtfo. Worked for a company where that happened. Everyone tiptoed around them and turned a blind eye on one exec who ran his own rogue router with an unsecure wifi. They even had to remove the port from ICE (only allows Corp devices on it, blocks anything else) so he could use it. Anyways this turned in to a resume generating event for me... I gtfo as fast as I could.

53 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Everyone tiptoed around them and turned a blind eye on one exec who ran his own rogue router with an unsecure wifi. They even had to remove the port from ICE (only allows Corp devices on it, blocks anything else) so he could use it.

Yeah... NO

Just NO.

There's this thing called security, sir, and that's literally what you pay me for, so i'm gonna just put that ICE back on and you and the port are gonna get along real nice with the equipment WE give you. If I catch you guys not getting along, you won't get any dessert after dinner, so you better learn to hug and make up.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Yeah... NO

Just NO.

There's this thing called security, sir, and that's literally what you pay me for, so i'm gonna just put that ICE back on and you and the port are gonna get along real nice with the equipment WE give you. If I catch you guys not getting along, you won't get any dessert after dinner, so you better learn to hug and make up.

Ya it wasn't my call... it actually came from our Security Director. That company had some major problems. Hell I gave my 2 week notice and when I was about a week left there we had our 1/4ly meeting where this Non-profit company somehow made a 12 million dollar profit... and then complained that the Security SaaS we were using cost them 750k/yr... so my whole last week was talks of them cutting the departments budget.

The best thing about this field though... is once you have your education and some experience to go with it. Then finding a job is pretty easy. Plus I don't think I have accepted another often that was 15-20% more than what I was making at the least. In the case of the company above, I left a fortune 500 to go there for a pretty big pay bump, then when I left it was to go back to that same fortune 500 for another big pay bump.  

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ya it wasn't my call... it actually came from our Security Director. That company had some major problems. Hell I gave my 2 week notice and when I was about a week left there we had our 1/4ly meeting where this Non-profit company somehow made a 12 million dollar profit... and then complained that they Security SaaS we were using cost them 750k/yr... so my whole last week was talks of them cutting the departments budget.

The best thing about this field though... is once you have your education and some experience to go with it. Then finding a job is pretty easy. Plus I don't think I have accepted another often that was 15-20% more than what I was making at the least. In the case of the company above, I left a fortune 500 to go there for a pretty big pay bump, then when I left it was to go back to that same fortune 500 for another big pay bump.  

and i live in charlotte nc so there's lots of jobs for me

11 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@LinusTech

@RILEYISMYNAME

@LMG Ivan

@nicklmg

Oh yeah I would love something like this. Like you said I acknowledge the difficulty in producing said content but I feel it would be valued just as much by the community and even more so by the side of the house seeking professional avenues, rather than only having enthusiast/news type content. I watch a lot of LTT and TechQuickie so I can stay fresh and up-to-date about new tech and where the industry is headed but also because I myself am an enthusiast and love seeing cool or fun things. But I think there's a place for this professional content on a sister channel or on the LTT channel itself.

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ya it wasn't my call... it actually came from our Security Director. That company had some major problems. Hell I gave my 2 week notice and when I was about a week left there we had our 1/4ly meeting where this Non-profit company somehow made a 12 million dollar profit... and then complained that the Security SaaS we were using cost them 750k/yr... so my whole last week was talks of them cutting the departments budget.

Yeah that router situation is sketchy as fuck but I'm not surprised at all. In the military a lot of upper level officers try to get special treatment for them and their guys so I imagine it's just as bad or worse in the private corporate world. I've also heard that like you said the pay jumps between jobs is pretty great. As long as you pick good jobs and do well you tend to only go up and there's always a job for you if you're willing to move.