Severe Laptop performance hitches

Joe D
Go to solution Solved by Joe D,

Ok guys i've fixed the problem, rather strangely i have to boot up the laptop with the power cord in to unlock the full performance. Very strange but hey it's all working properly now, cheers for the help all. :) now running locked 75hz

Hi there guys, Good to be back on the forums!

Just purchased a new laptop with specs as listed here

Spoiler

17" 75Hz G-Sync IPS 1080p Display

Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

i7 7700HQ (7th Gen)

128GB NVME SSD

1TB HDD

8GB DDR4 RAM

Of course i wanted to see what it was capable of so i bought forza horizon 4 but as of now i'm very surprised as to my results. On 1080p Ultra I'm only getting about 32fps which compared to others with a simmilar system is super low 
All benchmark results are in the spoiler below, Please help ?

Spoiler

unnamed.thumb.png.3dc74ee551fccabdcfc840e6583f56c7.png

Why Is it windows 10 not 9?

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

that seems in line with a mobile system with only a 1060 in it

turn it off of ultra if you need the fps to be higher

Did you just link gmail attachment? 

- I don't know if that laptop come with Nvidia Optimus, if yes check if the game actually running on Nvidia GPU instead of Intel iGPU. 

- Check temperature

- Check Power Option

- Don't game on battery

- Update to latest driver

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

a laptop with a 7700? hmm...

have you runned userbenchmark and 3dmark yet?

I have run steamvr performance test and came out with a fairly high up VR ready, I also ran unigene superposition on high 1080p and came out with average of 140-150 fps.

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Did you just link gmail attachment? 

- I don't know if that laptop come with Nvidia Optimus, if yes check if the game actually running on Nvidia GPU instead of Intel iGPU. 

- Check temperature

- Check Power Option

- Don't game on battery

- Update to latest driver

Ah didnt realise it would link to gmail oops haha
All of those options you've listed i have checked apart from power option, Is it ok to leave it on balanced or will performance mode really help ? 

Cheers guys :)

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

2 minutes ago, Joe D said:

Ah didnt realise it would link to gmail oops haha
All of those options you've listed i have checked apart from power option, Is it ok to leave it on balanced or will performance mode really help ? 

Cheers guys :)

Balanced is ok, can you screenshot the game setting?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Balanced is ok, can you screenshot the game setting?

unnamed.png

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

Will do :) in the mean time i've tried a steamvr performance test again and it's performing way worse than previous times, It seems to really fluctuate between performing well and awfully, any tips on just improving general performance or if i have a setting incorrect? 

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, still try userbenchmark and share the results I would say. then you can see how it performs against the exact same parts

www.userbenchmark.com

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

Ok guys i've fixed the problem, rather strangely i have to boot up the laptop with the power cord in to unlock the full performance. Very strange but hey it's all working properly now, cheers for the help all. :) now running locked 75hz

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

1 minute ago, Joe D said:

Hmm... laptops are strange machines.

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Hmm... laptops are strange machines.

no they aren't there's power setting for plugged an unpluged right in the control panel

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

no they aren't there's power setting for plugged an unpluged right in the control panel

Indeed there is, however it did nothing 

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

2 minutes ago, Joe D said:

Indeed there is, however it did nothing 

and yet plugging it in despite the fact the brick offers no more power than the battery solved it. amazing

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

and yet plugging it in despite the fact the brick offers no more power than the battery solved it. amazing

Not meaning to be rude but it was plugged in before however when the laptop was initially booted it was not plugged in, the laptop was later plugged in but still did not run at full performance. when the laptop was turned off then on again being booted WHILE PLUGGED IN the performance was at full. Forum Closed

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

4 hours ago, Joe D said:

Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Remember that this is actually a 1060M (M for Mobile?Micro?), not the same as a tower build; this is for laptops. I'm not sure if that matters or not ultimately although it's always worthwhile to work with accurate info :)