Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EggyRepublic

RTX 2070 vs Radeon RX Vega 64

Posted · Original PosterOP

My usage:

I will need the card for 3D modeling/rendering, video editing and gaming. I will be buying a FreeSync monitor regardless of which card I choose

According to benchmarks, the two seem very close in performance, but the Vega seems to be much faster in 3D rendering.

Also, I read somewhere that when rendering, the Vega is able to utilize system RAM when the VRAM is full while the 2070 isn't able to, is this true?

What are you thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

amd cards are generally better for productivity while nvidia cards are better for gaming

so if you intend to fame more get the 2070 but if you intend to do more productivity get the vega

Just wondering, what causes this differences?

If you're buying a free sync monitor, then the only option is Vega in my opinion. 

To answer the question of why AMD is better on productivity tasks, I'm fairly certain its got to do with the type of RAM they use.  Could be wrong, but I think that's the reason. 

The pros of the 64 for your scenario outweigh the 2070. Just make sure you get a card with a good cooler and make sure the psu you have, or have picked to buy is reliable, since vega uses more power than nvidia cards.

Please quote or @ me so I can see you responded!

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP

PSU Tier List v3 

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-9700k

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, mxk. said:

The pros of the 64 for your scenario outweigh the 2070. Just make sure you get a card with a good cooler and make sure the psu you have, or have picked to buy is reliable, since vega uses more power than nvidia cards.

I'm buying the default version AMD releases with the blower style cooler since it's $100 cheaper than alternatives. Is that good enough?

3 minutes ago, EggyRepublic said:

I'm buying the default version AMD releases with the blower style cooler since it's $100 cheaper than alternatives. Is that good enough?

ehhh those blower coolers are pretty bad. If not you're not going really hard on the card it can manage, but they can get pretty loud in a gaming session or just heavy use. Consider a better cooler even if you have to fork up some more money, because like I said, vega uses more power so that means they get hotter.

Please quote or @ me so I can see you responded!

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP

PSU Tier List v3 

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-9700k

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

8 hours ago, Happycowdance said:

amd cards are generally better for productivity while nvidia cards are better for gaming

so if you intend to fame more get the 2070 but if you intend to do more productivity get the vega

Except for any kind of productivity workload that benefits from CUDA

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.375V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

just be advice you'll need a beefy psu for vega64, preferably a 700w class one. also undervolting works really well with vega cards.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

16 hours ago, EggyRepublic said:

I had a Gigabyte reference RX VEGA 64 (I've since sold it off and replaced it with a Gigabyte RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC), pic below:

BG88mBE.jpg

I also have a PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil, do note the massive heatsink (the Gigabyte Gaming OC runs about just as cool), pic is together with my Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro OC, not exactly a small card, but the Red Devil is easily longer and a tad wider)

YLc8Y52.jpg

I ran these cards in CF mode, with the Red Devil as primary, and the stock card as secondary as shown below (do note that the bottom card is getting cool exterior air via the two fans below, I have since increased it to three intake fans), the Red Devil on top gets less cool air than it:

bHRhNdz.jpg

Yet, look at these temp readings, guess which runs cooler......I don't have to tell you, do I? Basically, I'm advising you to get one with a better cooler, the Red Devil is expensive, but the Gigabyte RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC is a no frills card that's less costly, Sapphire Nitro+ is good, but expensive as well.

weocBhH.png

Rig 1: Intel i7 3960X | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | 2x Gigabyte RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC (CrossFire) | Oppo HA-1 + KRK Rokit5 G3 | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G502 | Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 Freesync 2 | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 4770K | ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | 16GB RipJawsX 2133mhz | PowerColor Radeon VII 16GB HBM | Fostex HP-A4 -> Oppo HA-1 + Rokit5 G3 | Tt View 31 | Enermax 1500 MAX Revo | KBT Race II MX Blue + Armaggeddon SRO-05 Havoc III | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 3:  Intel i7 2600K | Asus  | 16GB RipJawsX 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX1080 Hurricane OC | Gustard X12 + H10 + Virtue One + Bose 201 Series III | | Fractal | Corsair HX1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 Wireless  | Panasonic 65" 4K TV | 64bit Win10 Home