Microsoft introduces New Office icons

39 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The logo followed the Metro design that Microsoft was going to with Windows 8, which didn't fit well with Windows 10 Metro/mono-chrome early look (now slowly moving to Fluent Design)

Didn't say they were out of the Design Language. Just that they were terrible. Right along with most of Windows 8's design language as well.

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

all-new Office 365 app icons

I am sure they spent a lot of money on the designs of those.

The 365 product is a monthly subscription only right?

2013 office icons was the best, hands down. In my opinion. I don't like these news ones.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

love these, and am hoping windows icons get a similar treatment.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

The 365 product is a monthly subscription only right?

Correct. You get continuous update. Not seeing any info when these icons will come.

Yeah this is exactly what we wanted, new damn icons! FFS...

Reminds me of libreoffice actually but oh well.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

microsoft's videos are more and more looks like and sounds like apple's ones.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I haven't. I understand the point, but I was referring to the first sentence as to calling this the solution for a broken OS. 

Yeah, you did. My point, is thus:

When you release such a hideously broken product as Patch 1809, you should stop work on other projects (or delay releasing them) until the patch is fixed, by those that can fix it, because to continue to release other things (like this icon pack) is a poor reflection on your company. 

The message it sends is "don't pay attention to the broken shit we keep releasing, look at this new shiny!"

The proper way to do this is fix 1809 once and for all, and after that, release the new shiny with a note saying "check out our new shiny!"

Perspective (from your userbase) matters.

Anyway, I've said what I have wished to say, the icons aren't actually ugly, so much as pointless. Polishing brass on the Titanic, as I've said before.

/R_A out

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I love the 2013 logos!  They had a pretty consistent shape & motif going...

image.png.a2473f2ff5185de13b9710b99c61009f.png

And now they've f**ked it!

image.png.e107ba424f9919d96b09f58e2bd85284.png

YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK?!?!?!

Image result for barfing gif

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

3 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

cant mistake that envelope tho, people will get used to the shape difference & go for the right logo naturally  .  even when placed side by side at low res there is a visible difference in shape to not mistakenly go for the other.

Really? No. I didn't even notice it was an envelope until you mentioned it. They look almost identical to me. Not to mention colorblind people. 

34 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

When you release such a hideously broken product as Patch 1809, you should stop work on other projects (or delay releasing them) until the patch is fixed, by those that can fix it, because to continue to release other things (like this icon pack) is a poor reflection on your company. 

The message it sends is "don't pay attention to the broken shit we keep releasing, look at this new shiny!"

The proper way to do this is fix 1809 once and for all, and after that, release the new shiny with a note saying "check out our new shiny!"

What your asking is literally impossible to do. According to Google, MS has 134,944 number of employees, in god knows how many countries with god knows how many cooperants. You want literally all of them to stop working or postponing projects. What you're looking at is a ridiculous amount of lost money (I can't even fathom the number) and looking even more unprofessional if you're postponing everything. Yes, MS can afford to lose a lot of money, but that is not how businesses work, nor how they should work. MS has their hands in so many things that are not only about them. Think again what your'e asking for. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Image result for not bad meme

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

These new icons aren't the worst, but they also aren't that great because they're aren't very visually descriptive of their respective programs. Also, they look overly flat, like Windows 10 does in general, which is ugly.

The entire visual design of Windows 10 has been a grotesque disaster since Windows 10 released. And while these icons might be better than a lot of the stock Windows 10 icons, they're still largely indicative of the bad/flat design style that Microsoft has got to move away from.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I'm envious of the person who's job it is to draw a few colored squares with letters in them every few years. Less envious of the guy who then has to take those squares and create an entire press release around them.

5 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

I love the 2013 logos!  They had a pretty consistent shape & motif going...

image.png.a2473f2ff5185de13b9710b99c61009f.png

And now they've f**ked it!

image.png.e107ba424f9919d96b09f58e2bd85284.png

YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK?!?!?!

There is no difference, you see the P you click on it.

I don't like it. The trend of simplification, at least to me, feels like the software equivalent of cutting battery life on a smartphone in half to make it a few fractions of a millimeter thinner. Office is a Utility, and as such I wish they would prioritize that above looks. I'm not colorblind myself, but @corrado33 makes a really good point. Why on earth do you noticeably inconvenience 5% of the population while causing mixed reactions among the other 95%. 

Visual complexity can be used for good in a non-cluttered fashion and I feel like nobody understands this. I feel like the 80's/90's was the peak of company logo design. The older cluttered designs were generally de-cluttered around this time, but they didn't lose their brand character. Most modern logos look like a default text with as few interesting details as possible and it generally doesn't communicate anything about the brand or product anymore, apart from they are "modern and simple". Back when Google changed their logo a few years ago, spawning memes like the one on bottom left, the trend has really gotten a lot worse. 

65d.jpg350?cb=20120920041916&path-prefix=en

Generally everything is gravitating towards blocky flat text with no unnecessary detail or color. I feel like eventually we'll all be living in Pixies Inc. from Fairly Oddparents as shown above right.

This really gets me heated for no reason

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Anyway, I've said what I have wished to say, the icons aren't actually ugly, so much as pointless. Polishing brass on the Titanic, as I've said before.

/R_A out

This is laughable, I have no words

Didn't like them at first, but they have grown on me.

The new Outlook icon does look a lot more similar to the Word one than before though. I am sure this will confuse quite a lot of people.

I find the new icons ugly, hopefully it only gets altered with the new office version and the 2016 gets to retain the old one.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)