Microsoft introduces New Office icons

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

No, not the actual developer group. I'm in the insider group

I knew what you meant, I was just teasing you :)

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I know, I am just teasing you :)

I know. I'm just correcting you (and me a bit)

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The latest patch for Windows wipes data, corrupts things, and generally makes a hash of your OS, and their solution is to make new icons?

This is called "polishing brass on the Titanic"

Obviously not everyone is gonna work on fixing what's broken and it is stupid to expect so and to complain about it, or do you really expect the designers in this case to try and fix windows?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Said by who? Microsoft? 

Yes, backed up with their research in GUI design, and working in IT field in the days the ribbon bar was introduced, and being on forums and reading news article on he new version of Office, with people talking about some of the "new" features of Office 2007 that was actually there since 1 and even 2 version prior which confirmed MS research on this.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Obviously not everyone is gonna work on fixing what's broken and it is stupid to expect so and to complain about it, or do you really expect the designers in this case to try and fix windows?

damn right!

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Seriously, I would NOT want the designer to touch any source code files of Windows. Let the pro's work on it, and let them handle the review process of code changes so it doesn't happen again, and improve on that.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Seriously, I would NOT want the designer to touch any source code files of Windows. Let the pro's work on it, and let them handle the review process of code changes so it doesn't happen again, and improve on that.

Pffft, you think the designers know what source code is? /s

13 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You missed the point.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

They should fire whoever came up with the 2013 logos. Those were really bad. 2010 logos were the best balance, which is why the new ones are an evolution of those. 

Not that I think it's an improvement. They look like their invoking the process of playing with blocks when you're 5 years old.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You missed the point.

I haven't. I understand the point, but I was referring to the first sentence as to calling this the solution for a broken OS. 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Not that I think it's an improvement. They look like their invoking the process of playing with blocks when you're 5 years old.

I actually like them, as in you can see how someone actually put thought into making them. For instance, Word logo looks like subtle lines of text while Excel logo is a subtle table. It is nothing new, but it was done in a very subtle way. Nothing too intrusive.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They should fire whoever came up with the 2013 logos. Those were really bad. 2010 logos were the best balance, which is why the new ones are an evolution of those. 

The logo followed the Metro design that Microsoft was going to with Windows 8, which didn't fit well with Windows 10 Metro/mono-chrome early look (now slowly moving to Fluent Design)

44 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Yeah, they are technicians too.

/s

To be serious, I don't expect them to, but it seems kinda weird to not launch the icons with the recent 2019 version, and with what happened with 1803 and 1809, it's at least based on something

Edited by LukeSavenije
Well, here you go

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

nice to see some color, and allow the icons to be more identifiable to quickly, well, identify apps.

I would argue from that photo that word and outlook* (thank you @Bouzoo) are harder to identify from a glance. Personally it took me a second even with the Letter and the text below it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, backed up with their research in GUI design, and working in IT field in the days the ribbon bar was introduced, and being on forums and reading news article on he new version of Office, with people talking about some of the "new" features of Office 2007 that was actually there since 1 and even 2 version prior which confirmed MS research on this.

How I wish I can agree but I don’t. You have no idea the he’ll I’ve been back in the day just to learn the in and out of it. Good thing Google Docs doesn’t have the ribbon, not to mention it’s free. 

Also, I still think the collaboration feature is better in Google Docs than it is in Office. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You missed the point.

so all departments should stop everything and not do any work and not release anything new until the people employed to handle the OS updates fix stuff? i don't get your logic.

regardless of that.

I just want an icon pack that contains everything and is in a consistent style.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Yeah, they are technicians too.

No, they are not. Nothing in their academic degree or job description says so. Obviously, there are exceptions, but the purpose of a designer is not to be a technician. Source: my brother-in-law is a graphics designer. 

No, they are not. Nothing in their academic degree or job description says so. Obviously, there are exceptions, but the purpose of a designer is not to be a technician. Source: my brother-in-law is a graphics designer. 

That was a joke...

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I would argue from that photo that word and office are harder to identify from a glance. Personally it took me a second even with the Letter and the text below it. 

Office? You mean Outlook?

Honestly I'd like a poster showing the changes in the icon over time. That looks pretty cool

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

That was a joke...

That was my other guess, but you didn't include /s and from my experience, this forum doesn't understand jokes without /s, so better to assume no one does. 

Here is a beer as an apology. ?

56 minutes ago, emosun said:

the reason they make a big deal out of this is because if they said nothing NOBODY would have even noticed 

nah they would notice but 99.99% wouldn't care or even make a big deal out of it. But if they made a video out of it maybe 1% of people would care to say a word about it

That was my other guess, but you didn't include /s and from my experience, this forum doesn't understand jokes without /s, so better to assume no one does. 

Here is a beer as an apology. ?

Well, edited that in. Normally they do without it