Poor file transfer speeds between 2 computers using Ethernet

Shammikit

So me and my friend bought R6 from steam when it was on sale recently. he has fully downloaded the game and i want to copy the game files to my laptop as the game is too big for me to download from my internet package. we had copied games and other files in the past by connecting a Ethernet cable between our laptops and sharing a volume. this worked but the maximum copying speeds were not more than 10MBps. I would like to know if there's a possibility of increasing this speed as the files we plan to exchange in a few days are quite large and the current speeds would take like the entire day to copy. We dont have any other storage like an external HDD or big enough USB drive to share the files. so the only option we see is sharing by Ethernet.

Your laptop's NIC might be limited to 100mbps (AKA 10MBps), first check if both Ethernet controllers on both devices are even capable of gigabit.  A lot of laptops do not have gigabit NIC's. 

Well 10MBps = 100mbps so there is the problem, the next step is 1000mbps or 1gbps, should give you around 100MBps transfer speed if the rest can handle it.

Question is, can 1gbps be done.

You need 3 things

1: Gigabit ethernet on device A

2: Gigabit ethernet on device B

3: a cable that can handle gigabit speeds.

1 and 2 can be done by checking the ethernet adapter in the control panel, it should have GBE or something like that in the name.

3 can be done by checking the cable, you need at least one with CAT 5E or higher (so CAT 6 or CAT6E,...)

If it's CAT 5, that's a problem and means you need to get a different cable.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Well 10MBps = 100mbps so there is the problem, the next step is 1000mbps or 1gbps, should give you around 100MBps transfer speed if the rest can handle it.

Question is, can 1gbps be done.

You need 3 things

1: Gigabit ethernet on device A

2: Gigabit ethernet on device B

3: a cable that can handle gigabit speeds.

1 and 2 can be done by checking the ethernet adapter in the control panel, it should have GBE or something like that in the name.

3 can be done by checking the cable, you need at least one with CAT 5E or higher (so CAT 6 or CAT6E,...)

If it's CAT 5, that's a problem and means you need to get a different cable.

I checked from device manager and it shows as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. so as u said i think it is gigabit ethernet capable. we were using CAT5 so maybe thats the problem

22 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

I checked from device manager and it shows as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. so as u said i think it is gigabit ethernet capable. we were using CAT5 so maybe thats the problem

In that case the cable is indeed the problem. I recommend trying to get a 5E or 6, that should do the trick. Stuff like 6E and 7 is a lot more expensive and won't make a difference anyway so you can ignore those.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 11/29/2018 at 10:11 PM, samcool55 said:

In that case the cable is indeed the problem. I recommend trying to get a 5E or 6, that should do the trick. Stuff like 6E and 7 is a lot more expensive and won't make a difference anyway so you can ignore those.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:02 PM, Arty said:

Your laptop's NIC might be limited to 100mbps (AKA 10MBps), first check if both Ethernet controllers on both devices are even capable of gigabit.  A lot of laptops do not have gigabit NIC's. 

Ok, i went to friends place and copied the files. turns out his Ethernet adapter is an FE, my one is a GE. We got a CAT6 cable and tried anyway and still didnt get over 10mbps. Had to wait for around 2 hours to copy. For getting anything above 10 mbps do both our adapters need to be GE? I thought FE supported upto 100mbps and thought we could get atleast that speed.

42 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Ok, i went to friends place and copied the files. turns out his Ethernet adapter is an FE, my one is a GE. We got a CAT6 cable and tried anyway and still didnt get over 10mbps. Had to wait for around 2 hours to copy. For getting anything above 10 mbps do both our adapters need to be GE? I thought FE supported upto 100mbps and thought we could get atleast that speed.

Yes, both need to be Gigabit Ethernet.

Fast Ethernet is 100 Mb/s. MB/s is different from Mb/s. 100 Mb/s (megabits) / 8 = 12.5 MB/s (Megabytes. There's some overhead, so 10MB/s is pretty realistic for that)

43 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Files transfer in MBps (MegaBytes), networking deals with mbps (MegaBits). 

8 bits per byte, so a Fast Ethernet port can transfer at 100mbps or 12MBps. 

You need both adapters to be GE to use GE speeds or they will use the lower of the two speeds.