Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkySway

P106 NOW SUPPORT DirectX (Not Official)

Recommended Posts

Okay i did some digging and it seems it can't be done because GPU passthrough doesn't work on Windows host :( 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My First post... Just created an account just for this!

 

Thank you guys! I have ordered one, it's on the way..

@chrscrys  @blancoro

I will try out those instructions

 

Just one more question tho....

On 1/21/2019 at 4:39 AM, kajeagentspi said:

Can you check if ffmpeg works ?
@Tschyp

 


ffmpeg -i input.mkv -gpu 0 -s 1280x720 -vcodec h264_nvenc output.mp4

This!!

Do you know if NVENC is supported ?

If so, I'd buy 10 of these cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Most Chinese seller did not want ship it to Canada" because many sellers don’t know English, they are afraid of being cheated,and also because customs clearance is very troublesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Seol Chaos said:

"Most Chinese seller did not want ship it to Canada" because many sellers don’t know English, they are afraid of being cheated,and also because customs clearance is very troublesome.

interesting, it's usually the other way around o_o TIL

(also definitely feel for the customs and shipping paperwork and whatnot)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

interesting, it's usually the other way around o_o TIL

(also definitely feel for the customs and shipping paperwork and whatnot)

In fact, in China, these graphics cards have already increased in price. and geek circle in China, everyone does not want more people to know this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seol Chaos said:

In fact, in China, these graphics cards have already increased in price. and geek circle in China, everyone does not want more people to know this.

exactly the reason why LTT (and maybe a few others) stopped making recommendations for secondhand cards, LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

exactly the reason why LTT (and maybe a few others) stopped making recommendations for secondhand cards, LOL

these crypto specific card sell for 20 US dollar,and now sell for 70... which is the price,LOL~

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 5:09 AM, Apec_Plays said:

So I tried buying the same P106 that Linus bought from Taobao. Linus said that the seller did not want to ship it to Canada, did he eventually agree or did Linus have to use a Taobao Agent? And what Taobao agents have you tried and would recommend to me? I unfortunately have to cheap out on my GPU due to a 1060 6gbs being 495USD in Jordan.

Use a 3rd party agent or one of the taobao forwarders when checking out, they ship to their address and you tell the forwarder to ship them to you when everything's in the warehouse. Look at the RX 470/480s too, pricing isn't that different and it's less troublesome.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Guyz.

 

I have made an experiment about this GP106-100-A1 thing.

I have got an MSI 1060GTX 6GB Gaming X card - without a BGA chip (GP106-400-A1) because it was in short so i removed the BGA.

Today i got a 100% working P106-100 which is using the BGA named: GP106-100-A1, so i removed this chip and applicated it on this MSI GTX1060 6GB card.

Measured all the resistances on all phases, everything is looking normal but of course the card is not recognised by the motherboard - getting three long beeps from the BIOS.

I think it can be two things:

1, - VRAM modules on the P106-100 are ending with HC22 (9Gbps), the MSI have the VRAM chips ending with HC25 (8Gbps) so the BGA cannot control that VRAM.

2, - BIOS "asks" BGA and getting the answer that it is not a GP106-400-A1 therefore the BIOS restrict the card to start.

 

The next i think i should do:

- Replace the 8Gbps modules to 9Gbps modules from the miner card because i really don't have any ideas how to mod the BIOS or how to reverse engineer it...

 

Any toughts, ideas about this project feel free to reply :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone who actually has this card, can you confirm that it actually has the NVENC hardware? and/or the hacked drivers provide for more then 2 HW streams?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, kajeagentspi said:

@Keyz2heaven I'll try doing the tutorial video I posted after I got home. It makes the P106 detected as 1060 by windows. If it has NVENC but is driver locked then it should work with that patch.

@kajeagentspi  Any news?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i would like to ask has anyone managed to get the P-106 to take a GTX1060 BIOS, probs sound a bit weird I know just wondering if not anyone willing to try I assume your not gonna be able to use nvflash and your gonna need a dedicated EPROM reader. If you have please share your results or if someone knows where to find some please share them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still having trouble getting it to show as a selection after installing the drivers. All shows ok in the device manager. Any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 3:17 AM, sycodelic said:

Still having trouble getting it to show as a selection after installing the drivers. All shows ok in the device manager. Any advice?

Dunno, maybe Windows updates after this Linus video was released changed something? What CPU u have? Did u do ALL steps in the video?

 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, Alicee3 said:

Hi

Is that true that this method doesnt work with Intel sandybridge or ivybridge processors? 

Thanks

Where u get this from? Own testing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, D4n said:

Dunno, maybe Windows updates after this Linus video was released changed something? What CPU u have? Did u do ALL steps in the video?

I managed to get it working once but then reinstalled windows. I have a APU. Drivers all install fine. It's just not being able to select it for high performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DoctorVGA, it looks like you are way ahead of me, I'm still waiting for my P106-100 to arrive. Had to register here just after I saw your comment ;)

  • First of all, can you boot an actual system and see if the modded card actually is present on the pci bus? An output of lspci (linux) would be really awesome, as well as giving it a spin with regular nvidia linux drivers. Just Xorg.0.log would prove very useful. My old GTS450 soft-modded into Quadro 2000 to enable GPU passthrough never got detected by BIOS, I was getting three beeps, but worked flawlessly when I booted the VM and installed drivers. So if it's not detected by BIOS it may not be a complete failure yet!
  • Following the the above, can you backup/flash VBIOS? If so, you can try some different VBIOSes from the net, see if any of them actually works.
  • Finally, you flash (or transplant the ic)  P106-100 BIOS, and see if it detects and works as if it were P106-100.

If I got things right, we have a limited set of options here:

  • Either we have some resistor straps, like the previous generations, and the only problem you have is different GDDR/timings. Therefore a VBIOS from a working 1060 with the same GDDR is required for things to finally work. AFAIK VBIOS'es are digitally signed, so we can't alter it in any way.
  • Or nvidia did get themselves some one-time programmable rom inside the chip. If that's the case, we're pretty much screwed and we can only use it as is and hope for nouveau guys to finally perfect their driver. (Or patch the binary drivers in even more weird ways)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sycodelic said:

I managed to get it working once but then reinstalled windows. I have a APU. Drivers all install fine. It's just not being able to select it for high performance.

That happens to me aswell. Uninstall all driver s and try this. That worked for me

 

----Uninstall iGPU

-*disable internet* and disable automatic download on device installation setting.
-set testsigning on and restart..
-ddu all your graphics driver in safe mode..
-install igpu driver and 416.34 modded driver 

----Install iGPU drivers

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, ncrmnt said:

DoctorVGA, it looks like you are way ahead of me, I'm still waiting for my P106-100 to arrive. Had to register here just after I saw your comment ;)

  • First of all, can you boot an actual system and see if the modded card actually is present on the pci bus? An output of lspci (linux) would be really awesome, as well as giving it a spin with regular nvidia linux drivers. Just Xorg.0.log would prove very useful. My old GTS450 soft-modded into Quadro 2000 to enable GPU passthrough never got detected by BIOS, I was getting three beeps, but worked flawlessly when I booted the VM and installed drivers. So if it's not detected by BIOS it may not be a complete failure yet!
  • Following the the above, can you backup/flash VBIOS? If so, you can try some different VBIOSes from the net, see if any of them actually works.
  • Finally, you flash (or transplant the ic)  P106-100 BIOS, and see if it detects and works as if it were P106-100.

If I got things right, we have a limited set of options here:

  • Either we have some resistor straps, like the previous generations, and the only problem you have is different GDDR/timings. Therefore a VBIOS from a working 1060 with the same GDDR is required for things to finally work. AFAIK VBIOS'es are digitally signed, so we can't alter it in any way.
  • Or nvidia did get themselves some one-time programmable rom inside the chip. If that's the case, we're pretty much screwed and we can only use it as is and hope for nouveau guys to finally perfect their driver. (Or patch the binary drivers in even more weird ways)

 

Hi ncrmnt!

 

There are some more infos about this project.

 

So mainly there are two versions of P106 Miner GPUs.

The 3GB one named GP106-090-A1 and the 6GB one named GP106-100-A1 just like the commercial (First release) versions of GP106 (3GB: GP106-300-A1, 6GB: GP106-400-A1) but there's more versions, in this case one with named GP106-410-A1 which is the same like GP106-400-A1 but its VRAM, because the 400-A1 controlls only 8Gbps VRAM (ending with HC25 on Samsung) whilst the 410-A1 controlls 9Gbps VRAM (ending with HC22 on Samsung).

So if i put a GP106-100-A1 on a card, that card needs to have 9Gbps VRAM because that chip is the "little brother" of GP106-410-A1 and not the GP106-400-A1... i see there's differencies in Controllers, VRM's everything mainly does not help to put a P106 BIOS on a GTX1060 card because it will not do anything with that BIOS for sure...

 

I have a BIOS writer hardware, also have a hexeditor so its not a problem for me to modify anything on a BIOS in hex.

Have found out that there's a string in every Pascal bios after "Chip Rev." that refers to the GPU name itself some way, made a screenshot and attached to this post.

 

GTX1060 3GB

String: 3000G4100020 , Chip: GP106-300-A1

 

GTX1060 6GB

String: 4000G4100030 , Chip: GP106-400-A1

 

GP106 6GB

String: 1000G4100100 , Chip: GP106-100-A1

etc.

So i have modded the original bios and replaced this 4000G4100030 string to 1000G4100100 but nothing changed.

Maybe it needs to replace more data than this string but i fear its beyond my knowledge... of course i will try but i don't feel like i can do this, and what if it's succeed somehow then theres this 8-9Gbps thingy... think if i replace the HC25 VRAM with HC22 there isnt any guarantee that it will gonna work.

 

PS.: Sad, but i don't have linux, never had it :(

STRING.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, DoctorVGA said:

So i have modded the original bios and replaced this 4000G4100030 string to 1000G4100100 but nothing changed.

AFAIK it's useless to mod it. It has a digital signature, like a checksum. If you replace a string, driver will know the rom has been tampered and refuse to work. All we can do is swap for another vbios from the collection.

 

According to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp106.g797 GP106-100-A1 and GP106-400-A1 look roughly the same thing and work with the same DDR.

 

Can you boot some live linux distro (e.g. ubuntu or debian) on a test rig with internal graphics? I'll tell you what commands to put in the terminal. The interesting stuff is, whether the PCIe card is visible on the bus after your surgical operations and what VID/PID it exposes (just type lspci in the terminal app).

On previous generations VID/PID were set by resistor straps. If this is still the case and it works - we'll see a different VID/PID, hence we'll need a different VBIOS from some 1060. As a side effect, if it is visible on the PCI bus you can flash those VBIOSes via linux nvflash. That will save you some time on desoldering the VBIOS chip every failed attempt.

 

In other words - don't trust three beeps from bios! They lie!

 

Linux has some more awesome low-level tools to play with and gives some meaningful errors when things go wrong. Not like "error 43, go figure out yourself or ask our support drone" ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i got it all installed and i can play all games with my p106, but....

 

Not on Windows mixed reality, steam vr or any other vr games (i have already all in high performance but still only uses my iGPU)

 

Any one solved that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, blancoro said:

That happens to me aswell. Uninstall all driver s and try this. That worked for me

 

----Uninstall iGPU

-*disable internet* and disable automatic download on device installation setting.
-set testsigning on and restart..
-ddu all your graphics driver in safe mode..
-install igpu driver and 416.34 modded driver 

----Install iGPU drivers

I have tried this method. Still not working. I will keep trying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×