P106 NOW SUPPORT DirectX (Not Official)

SkySway
5 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

So basically he DID get one from a Dutch ebay to work.  Grey card, sounds like an msi model? Could It be that it already did have a modified bios ? From China bought by previous owner? 

zero chance it has been modified, no China import. Will try to send a picture.

2 hours ago, DeSteef said:

zero chance it has been modified, no China import. Will try to send a picture.

@LinusTech Was it really necessary to specifically buy a bios modded P106?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

On 1/29/2019 at 7:51 AM, ncrmnt said:

Don't lose faith! Thanks to your experiments we've learned quite a lot on how this thingy works. First of all, if it booted, the pinout is compatible and it's a complement on your great soldering skills on its own!

Second, can you post at least the resources tab from devices manager (or gpu-z) screenshots with different vbioses? (E.g. with original 1060 and p106-100 vbios) I wonder if flashing different vbioses will affect these in any way and/if they change. Or, at least if they look different than on a usual P106.

The error 43/10 you've got are probably due to your modification to vbios file with the hex editor. Don't bother modding bioses, since, as I've said they are all digitally signed and tamper-proof. Driver detects that an refuses to start. The only way is to flash either the original GTX1060 or the original P106-100 vbios and give them a shot. 

On a side note: There's also a way to spoof pci IDs, when the card is being passed through to the virtual machine. This way we can try to install regular 1060 driver. But this will require you setting up a linux machine to host a VM and will require hardware with working IOMMU. (Process not for the faint-hearted) One of the things I was going to try myself once my P106 arrives.

So i have tried multiple BIOS's (MSI Miner and Original too) and it returned always the same Code 10 error. Tried multiple drivers, also tried to force 1060 driver on it when i wrote back its original BIOS and it changed from P106-100 to GTX1060 in the devmanager but does not did any change (as i tought).

I will solder this GPU back to P106 then the "Project Frankenstein 1060" ends here, because it leads to nowhere now, but we learned from that, so the project was somewhat successful, because now we know that it is not possible (on Windows) for sure to use this card normally or for mining or more like for anything...(I have created a card that does not exist and not have any software that supports) ?

Edit: Theres nothing to see on the resource panel.

There's a screen from it:

PS.: Thanks for your helping ideas, and kind words to make from this project as much as possible for me, and sorry but i don't want to mess with Linux and virtual machines because i really don't think that it would help in some way.

PS2.: I was wondering if i had a GTX1060 with HC22 VRAM what would be the result... no one knows :)

Greetings from Hungary :)

-DrVGA

FRANK-OriginalP106BIOS-WINDRIVERS.jpg

12 hours ago, DoctorVGA said:

So i have tried multiple BIOS's (MSI Miner and Original too) and it returned always the same Code 10 error. Tried multiple drivers, also tried to force 1060 driver on it when i wrote back its original BIOS and it changed from P106-100 to GTX1060 in the devmanager but does not did any change (as i tought).

I will solder this GPU back to P106 then the "Project Frankenstein 1060" ends here, because it leads to nowhere now, but we learned from that, so the project was somewhat successful, because now we know that it is not possible (on Windows) for sure to use this card normally or for mining or more like for anything...(I have created a card that does not exist and not have any software that supports) ?

Edit: Theres nothing to see on the resource panel.

There's a screen from it:

PS.: Thanks for your helping ideas, and kind words to make from this project as much as possible for me, and sorry but i don't want to mess with Linux and virtual machines because i really don't think that it would help in some way. 

PS2.: I was wondering if i had a GTX1060 with HC22 VRAM what would be the result... no one knows :)

Greetings from Hungary :)

-DrVGA

FRANK-OriginalP106BIOS-WINDRIVERS.jpg

Hm... And you have the GPU-Z screenshot of the P106-100 with the GTX1060 BIOS?

1 hour ago, ncrmnt said:

Hm... And you have the GPU-Z screenshot of the P106-100 with the GTX1060 BIOS?

All the same with every BIOS and every driver, all the info on GPU-Z and the error code are the same.

4 minutes ago, DoctorVGA said:

All the same with every BIOS and every driver, all the info on GPU-Z and the error code are the same.

Thanks a lot for clarifying this point. If that's the case, there are no resistor straps I hoped for, and the only way we can make this work - hack'n'patch nvidia drivers OR use nouveau driver ;(

i tried editing the modded driver files to change the name of the card but it doesn't have any benefit at all.. lol

im just wondering if has anyone tested for 2 Nvidia card for NVEC? theoretically i think it would work.. 1 card for gaming and another of streaming.. 
i dont have second pcie for another card to test.. :(

palit.jpg.e7d14db5e6113a9e5f620a32839ce147.jpg

Hi.

I have Gigabyte P106-100 , trying to use it for gaming.

Platform configuration:

Intel Core i5-2500 (with Intel HD Graphics 2000), Gigabyte GA-Z77M-DH3

Clean install of Win10 x64 (1809).

Drivers from this topic, GPU-Z shows all checkboxes filled:

Spoiler

image.png.6fac9a90db138a48b02cd5875765cd65.png

GPU0 is P106. Intel is not shown as GPU (even if i remove P106 physically):

image.png.f3d278b3f0ef4f8875bc5aa95385a704.png

This setting i see with uninstalled (DDU) Intel driver:

Spoiler

1.jpg.57ff93ac570d05e233625b2dc5a509b0.jpg

3dmark is running demo without error - but no picture (well, no device to show it to me, fine).

Everything changes when i install Intel drivers:

Spoiler

2.jpg.e58d3ce538c973d574acb8dc9797cf36.jpg

3dmark fails to run the demo with error "DirectX call failed" on D3D12CreateDevice method (well, HD2000 do not support DX12 :)). 

Any ideas?

same for i7 3770k - B75 

if i dturn off intel graphics (is use basic driver microsoft).
furmark and MSI Kombustor works with p106, but games don't use p106.
If I turn on the HD 4000 graphics, all programs use it, ignoring p106.
windows set priority on intel graphics?

G.t.

Anyone got GTAV running with it. Seems to not like the GPU. Wonder if other games will not.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:16 PM, chrscrys said:

i tried editing the modded driver files to change the name of the card but it doesn't have any benefit at all.. lol

im just wondering if has anyone tested for 2 Nvidia card for NVEC? theoretically i think it would work.. 1 card for gaming and another of streaming.. 
i dont have second pcie for another card to test.. :(

palit.jpg.e7d14db5e6113a9e5f620a32839ce147.jpg

How did you make it detected as a 1060 ?

On 1/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, kajeagentspi said:

@Keyz2heaven I'll try doing the tutorial video I posted after I got home. It makes the P106 detected as 1060 by windows. If it has NVENC but is driver locked then it should work with that patch.

@kajeagentspi  Any news regarding NVENC?

I would love to know if someone could check if this card is limited to 2 maximum encoding streams, or is someone was able to bypass it.

If so, it would be the best media server transcoding card out there! Super cheap Plex transcoder.

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

On 2/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, KingCollins said:

I would love to know if someone could check if this card is limited to 2 maximum encoding streams, or is someone was able to bypass it.

If so, it would be the best media server transcoding card out there! Super cheap Plex transcoder.

It doesn't even have support for ffmpeg since ffmpeg uses NVENC. 

Hi, I'm completly new on this topic and i'd likz to know if i can use a p106 with my system because i don't have any integrated gpu....

R5 2600X

GTX1070 EXOC

16Gb DDR4

I'd like to use the p106 as another gpu, the 1070 for certain software and the p106 for other ones. And maybe for SLI (when it will works) as I see in the last LTT video about the p106

thanks in advance

On 1/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, Apec_Plays said:

So I tried buying the same P106 that Linus bought from Taobao. Linus said that the seller did not want to ship it to Canada, did he eventually agree or did Linus have to use a Taobao Agent? And what Taobao agents have you tried and would recommend to me? I unfortunately have to cheap out on my GPU due to a 1060 6gbs being 495USD in Jordan.

https://www.superbuy.com/ is my go to shipping agent for China.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, SkySway said:

Yo guys

Someone from china(yeah thats my country) has used something like deceptive software to go around NVIDIA`s DirectX Block on P106, which Im sure you guys know, is specific designed for mining. 

I got his tutorial file attached if anyone is interested, since its chinese, I did my best to translate it.

It seems after cracking its DX block ,this thing`s performance can be nearly identical as a GTX1060 6G 

Im still uploading that cracked driver to my google drive, once its done I`ll post link here

BTW, how do I let Linus know about this? Maybe LTT can do a video about this :)

P106.docx

the best way to get it out the is to ping the one and only @GabenJr since this is more of his thing than linus or any of the other guys at LTT

I found a shop claimed that they can add HDMI or VGA port and changed the bios so you can use a p106/04 as a normal 1060 without going thru all of the igpu passthrought stuff with the price of ~20$

46 minutes ago, cuongvfc said:

I found a shop claimed that they can add HDMI or VGA port and changed the bios so you can use a p106/04 as a normal 1060 without going thru all of the igpu passthrought stuff with the price of ~20$

Link, please ;) Either they are gurus or scammers. Something tells me it's more likely the latter

4 hours ago, ncrmnt said:

Link, please ;) Either they are gurus or scammers. Something tells me it's more likely the latter

I can't really give you a link tho, it's on an app called ”闲鱼“ it's an app where people sell their 2nd stuff in China. I just found this when I was looking for a P106.

if you don't know Chinese then there's no point going thru a wall of Chinese text. He did mention that there'll be performance lost and something about frame drop when gaming so it still not that easy.

nvm he said the bandwith is only 4GB/s

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, Zufir said:

Hi.

I have Gigabyte P106-100 , trying to use it for gaming.

Platform configuration:

Intel Core i5-2500 (with Intel HD Graphics 2000), Gigabyte GA-Z77M-DH3

Clean install of Win10 x64 (1809).

Drivers from this topic, GPU-Z shows all checkboxes filled:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.6fac9a90db138a48b02cd5875765cd65.png

GPU0 is P106. Intel is not shown as GPU (even if i remove P106 physically):

image.png.f3d278b3f0ef4f8875bc5aa95385a704.png

This setting i see with uninstalled (DDU) Intel driver:

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg.57ff93ac570d05e233625b2dc5a509b0.jpg

3dmark is running demo without error - but no picture (well, no device to show it to me, fine).

Everything changes when i install Intel drivers:

Reveal hidden contents

2.jpg.e58d3ce538c973d574acb8dc9797cf36.jpg

3dmark fails to run the demo with error "DirectX call failed" on D3D12CreateDevice method (well, HD2000 do not support DX12 :)). 

Any ideas?

Uninstall windows updates from the day that this LTT video appeared? Microsoft might have patched something (in cooperation with Intel/Nvidia)?

Hello, guys.
(Assuming) After successfully installing the custom driver and having the GPU working will the latter still function after turning the driver signature as well as the test mode off ? And can one play online games with such GPU?  

On 2/3/2019 at 3:10 AM, Zufir said:

Ok, now i see the problem :(

There's no native support below Intel HD Graphics 4200 for Win10 :( Only the legacy mode

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html

Wait so does this mean this method to use the P106 GPU won't work on older Intel HD Graphics GPU's? I saw someone else posted earlier about this too asking if this doesn't work on pre-Haswell Intel HD Graphics as well but no one ever got back to him either. 

I have an older PC with a Clarkdale i5 660 that has an Intel Ironlake iGPU in it. I was going to buy a P106 but now I'm holding off until I'm sure it'd actually work on my old PC since it seems like there's some mixed information in this thread.