P106 NOW SUPPORT DirectX (Not Official)

SkySway
On 1/18/2019 at 5:09 AM, Apec_Plays said:

So I tried buying the same P106 that Linus bought from Taobao. Linus said that the seller did not want to ship it to Canada, did he eventually agree or did Linus have to use a Taobao Agent? And what Taobao agents have you tried and would recommend to me? I unfortunately have to cheap out on my GPU due to a 1060 6gbs being 495USD in Jordan.

Use a 3rd party agent or one of the taobao forwarders when checking out, they ship to their address and you tell the forwarder to ship them to you when everything's in the warehouse. Look at the RX 470/480s too, pricing isn't that different and it's less troublesome.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

@Keyz2heaven I'll try doing the tutorial video I posted after I got home. It makes the P106 detected as 1060 by windows. If it has NVENC but is driver locked then it should work with that patch.

Hello Guyz.

I have made an experiment about this GP106-100-A1 thing.

I have got an MSI 1060GTX 6GB Gaming X card - without a BGA chip (GP106-400-A1) because it was in short so i removed the BGA.

Today i got a 100% working P106-100 which is using the BGA named: GP106-100-A1, so i removed this chip and applicated it on this MSI GTX1060 6GB card.

Measured all the resistances on all phases, everything is looking normal but of course the card is not recognised by the motherboard - getting three long beeps from the BIOS.

I think it can be two things:

1, - VRAM modules on the P106-100 are ending with HC22 (9Gbps), the MSI have the VRAM chips ending with HC25 (8Gbps) so the BGA cannot control that VRAM.

2, - BIOS "asks" BGA and getting the answer that it is not a GP106-400-A1 therefore the BIOS restrict the card to start.

The next i think i should do:

- Replace the 8Gbps modules to 9Gbps modules from the miner card because i really don't have any ideas how to mod the BIOS or how to reverse engineer it...

Any toughts, ideas about this project feel free to reply :)

Hi

Is that true that this method doesnt work with Intel sandybridge or ivybridge processors? 

Thanks

Does anyone who actually has this card, can you confirm that it actually has the NVENC hardware? and/or the hacked drivers provide for more then 2 HW streams?

On 1/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, kajeagentspi said:

@Keyz2heaven I'll try doing the tutorial video I posted after I got home. It makes the P106 detected as 1060 by windows. If it has NVENC but is driver locked then it should work with that patch.

@kajeagentspi  Any news?

So i would like to ask has anyone managed to get the P-106 to take a GTX1060 BIOS, probs sound a bit weird I know just wondering if not anyone willing to try I assume your not gonna be able to use nvflash and your gonna need a dedicated EPROM reader. If you have please share your results or if someone knows where to find some please share them.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:01 AM, Keyz2heaven said:

@kajeagentspi  Any news?

I can't find a way to force the installer to treat the p106-100 as a 1060

Still having trouble getting it to show as a selection after installing the drivers. All shows ok in the device manager. Any advice?

On 1/26/2019 at 3:17 AM, sycodelic said:

Still having trouble getting it to show as a selection after installing the drivers. All shows ok in the device manager. Any advice?

Dunno, maybe Windows updates after this Linus video was released changed something? What CPU u have? Did u do ALL steps in the video?

On 1/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, Alicee3 said:

Hi

Is that true that this method doesnt work with Intel sandybridge or ivybridge processors? 

Thanks

Where u get this from? Own testing?

16 minutes ago, D4n said:

Dunno, maybe Windows updates after this Linus video was released changed something? What CPU u have? Did u do ALL steps in the video?

I managed to get it working once but then reinstalled windows. I have a APU. Drivers all install fine. It's just not being able to select it for high performance.

DoctorVGA, it looks like you are way ahead of me, I'm still waiting for my P106-100 to arrive. Had to register here just after I saw your comment ;)

• First of all, can you boot an actual system and see if the modded card actually is present on the pci bus? An output of lspci (linux) would be really awesome, as well as giving it a spin with regular nvidia linux drivers. Just Xorg.0.log would prove very useful. My old GTS450 soft-modded into Quadro 2000 to enable GPU passthrough never got detected by BIOS, I was getting three beeps, but worked flawlessly when I booted the VM and installed drivers. So if it's not detected by BIOS it may not be a complete failure yet!
  • Following the the above, can you backup/flash VBIOS? If so, you can try some different VBIOSes from the net, see if any of them actually works.
  • Finally, you flash (or transplant the ic)  P106-100 BIOS, and see if it detects and works as if it were P106-100.

If I got things right, we have a limited set of options here:

• Either we have some resistor straps, like the previous generations, and the only problem you have is different GDDR/timings. Therefore a VBIOS from a working 1060 with the same GDDR is required for things to finally work. AFAIK VBIOS'es are digitally signed, so we can't alter it in any way.
  • Or nvidia did get themselves some one-time programmable rom inside the chip. If that's the case, we're pretty much screwed and we can only use it as is and hope for nouveau guys to finally perfect their driver. (Or patch the binary drivers in even more weird ways)

14 hours ago, sycodelic said:

I managed to get it working once but then reinstalled windows. I have a APU. Drivers all install fine. It's just not being able to select it for high performance.

That happens to me aswell. Uninstall all driver s and try this. That worked for me

----Uninstall iGPU

-*disable internet* and disable automatic download on device installation setting.
-set testsigning on and restart..
-ddu all your graphics driver in safe mode..
-install igpu driver and 416.34 modded driver 

----Install iGPU drivers

On 1/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, ncrmnt said:

DoctorVGA, it looks like you are way ahead of me, I'm still waiting for my P106-100 to arrive. Had to register here just after I saw your comment ;)

• First of all, can you boot an actual system and see if the modded card actually is present on the pci bus? An output of lspci (linux) would be really awesome, as well as giving it a spin with regular nvidia linux drivers. Just Xorg.0.log would prove very useful. My old GTS450 soft-modded into Quadro 2000 to enable GPU passthrough never got detected by BIOS, I was getting three beeps, but worked flawlessly when I booted the VM and installed drivers. So if it's not detected by BIOS it may not be a complete failure yet!
  • Following the the above, can you backup/flash VBIOS? If so, you can try some different VBIOSes from the net, see if any of them actually works.
  • Finally, you flash (or transplant the ic)  P106-100 BIOS, and see if it detects and works as if it were P106-100.

If I got things right, we have a limited set of options here:

• Either we have some resistor straps, like the previous generations, and the only problem you have is different GDDR/timings. Therefore a VBIOS from a working 1060 with the same GDDR is required for things to finally work. AFAIK VBIOS'es are digitally signed, so we can't alter it in any way.
  • Or nvidia did get themselves some one-time programmable rom inside the chip. If that's the case, we're pretty much screwed and we can only use it as is and hope for nouveau guys to finally perfect their driver. (Or patch the binary drivers in even more weird ways)

Hi ncrmnt!

There are some more infos about this project.

So mainly there are two versions of P106 Miner GPUs.

The 3GB one named GP106-090-A1 and the 6GB one named GP106-100-A1 just like the commercial (First release) versions of GP106 (3GB: GP106-300-A1, 6GB: GP106-400-A1) but there's more versions, in this case one with named GP106-410-A1 which is the same like GP106-400-A1 but its VRAM, because the 400-A1 controlls only 8Gbps VRAM (ending with HC25 on Samsung) whilst the 410-A1 controlls 9Gbps VRAM (ending with HC22 on Samsung).

So if i put a GP106-100-A1 on a card, that card needs to have 9Gbps VRAM because that chip is the "little brother" of GP106-410-A1 and not the GP106-400-A1... i see there's differencies in Controllers, VRM's everything mainly does not help to put a P106 BIOS on a GTX1060 card because it will not do anything with that BIOS for sure...

I have a BIOS writer hardware, also have a hexeditor so its not a problem for me to modify anything on a BIOS in hex.

Have found out that there's a string in every Pascal bios after "Chip Rev." that refers to the GPU name itself some way, made a screenshot and attached to this post.

GTX1060 3GB

String: 3000G4100020 , Chip: GP106-300-A1

GTX1060 6GB

String: 4000G4100030 , Chip: GP106-400-A1

GP106 6GB

String: 1000G4100100 , Chip: GP106-100-A1

etc.

So i have modded the original bios and replaced this 4000G4100030 string to 1000G4100100 but nothing changed.

Maybe it needs to replace more data than this string but i fear its beyond my knowledge... of course i will try but i don't feel like i can do this, and what if it's succeed somehow then theres this 8-9Gbps thingy... think if i replace the HC25 VRAM with HC22 there isnt any guarantee that it will gonna work.

PS.: Sad, but i don't have linux, never had it :(

STRING.jpg

10 hours ago, DoctorVGA said:

So i have modded the original bios and replaced this 4000G4100030 string to 1000G4100100 but nothing changed.

AFAIK it's useless to mod it. It has a digital signature, like a checksum. If you replace a string, driver will know the rom has been tampered and refuse to work. All we can do is swap for another vbios from the collection.

According to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp106.g797 GP106-100-A1 and GP106-400-A1 look roughly the same thing and work with the same DDR.

Can you boot some live linux distro (e.g. ubuntu or debian) on a test rig with internal graphics? I'll tell you what commands to put in the terminal. The interesting stuff is, whether the PCIe card is visible on the bus after your surgical operations and what VID/PID it exposes (just type lspci in the terminal app).

On previous generations VID/PID were set by resistor straps. If this is still the case and it works - we'll see a different VID/PID, hence we'll need a different VBIOS from some 1060. As a side effect, if it is visible on the PCI bus you can flash those VBIOSes via linux nvflash. That will save you some time on desoldering the VBIOS chip every failed attempt.

In other words - don't trust three beeps from bios! They lie!

Linux has some more awesome low-level tools to play with and gives some meaningful errors when things go wrong. Not like "error 43, go figure out yourself or ask our support drone" ;)

So i got it all installed and i can play all games with my p106, but....

Not on Windows mixed reality, steam vr or any other vr games (i have already all in high performance but still only uses my iGPU)

Any one solved that?

On 1/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, blancoro said:

That happens to me aswell. Uninstall all driver s and try this. That worked for me

----Uninstall iGPU

-*disable internet* and disable automatic download on device installation setting.
-set testsigning on and restart..
-ddu all your graphics driver in safe mode..
-install igpu driver and 416.34 modded driver 

----Install iGPU drivers

I have tried this method. Still not working. I will keep trying.

8 hours ago, ncrmnt said:

AFAIK it's useless to mod it. It has a digital signature, like a checksum. If you replace a string, driver will know the rom has been tampered and refuse to work. All we can do is swap for another vbios from the collection.

According to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp106.g797 GP106-100-A1 and GP106-400-A1 look roughly the same thing and work with the same DDR.

Can you boot some live linux distro (e.g. ubuntu or debian) on a test rig with internal graphics? I'll tell you what commands to put in the terminal. The interesting stuff is, whether the PCIe card is visible on the bus after your surgical operations and what VID/PID it exposes (just type lspci in the terminal app).

On previous generations VID/PID were set by resistor straps. If this is still the case and it works - we'll see a different VID/PID, hence we'll need a different VBIOS from some 1060. As a side effect, if it is visible on the PCI bus you can flash those VBIOSes via linux nvflash. That will save you some time on desoldering the VBIOS chip every failed attempt.

In other words - don't trust three beeps from bios! They lie!

Linux has some more awesome low-level tools to play with and gives some meaningful errors when things go wrong. Not like "error 43, go figure out yourself or ask our support drone" ;)

So i have decided to fire it up using Intel integrated VGA as a primary display, and the PC boots, the beeps has gone with this setup - and the windows see P106-100 (with the modded BIOS, i have not tried with the original bios but yeah it looks like the codename is hard coded in the GPU itself) but it returns with an error code 10 that there are insufficient power resources to start the card.

I have tried this method with this modded P106 driver and it will install successfully but returns with error code 43 because its not a gtx1060 and not even a p106 its like a PTX106 ?

Next step is to try to put back its original bios and see what happens as a secondary card, but i dont think this project is leading somewhere from where we can win anything because if i'm right the GPU itself don't have the ability to process any video signal output from that PCB.

If i'm using it as a primary card there comes three beeps, then windows boots up and i have getting no video signal from the card itself, but i get video signal from the mainboard's integrated DVI output, but the "picture" is only 5 pixel height coming from the upper side of the screen so there is something but its weird...

So i really don't know...i lost my faith a bit and think we can't build a gaming card with the use of miner GPUs...

I saw the video and decided to buy one for my son (14yr) who liked to build some kind of gaming PC

I bought a nvidia p106-100 (2 fans and grey, no orange). He managed to install it and play battlefield V with it.

He used windows10 1809 (january version i think)

The P106 win10 drive.exe on the google drive 

see link in second post on

He installed windows without internet connection

power down

installed the p106 card in the computer

power up

connected network

reboot

and after that i don t know exactly what happened, but my son said he just did what Linus did in the video.

edit jan 30th

Probably is an msi card

First 4 attempts of driver installation: no compatible hardware found then out of the blue the fifth one worked

Edited by DeSteef
new info

14 hours ago, DoctorVGA said:

So i have decided to fire it up using Intel integrated VGA as a primary display, and the PC boots, the beeps has gone with this setup - and the windows see P106-100 (with the modded BIOS, i have not tried with the original bios but yeah it looks like the codename is hard coded in the GPU itself) but it returns with an error code 10 that there are insufficient power resources to start the card.

I have tried this method with this modded P106 driver and it will install successfully but returns with error code 43 because its not a gtx1060 and not even a p106 its like a PTX106 ?

Next step is to try to put back its original bios and see what happens as a secondary card, but i dont think this project is leading somewhere from where we can win anything because if i'm right the GPU itself don't have the ability to process any video signal output from that PCB.

If i'm using it as a primary card there comes three beeps, then windows boots up and i have getting no video signal from the card itself, but i get video signal from the mainboard's integrated DVI output, but the "picture" is only 5 pixel height coming from the upper side of the screen so there is something but its weird...

So i really don't know...i lost my faith a bit and think we can't build a gaming card with the use of miner GPUs...

Don't lose faith! Thanks to your experiments we've learned quite a lot on how this thingy works. First of all, if it booted, the pinout is compatible and it's a complement on your great soldering skills on its own!

Second, can you post at least the resources tab from devices manager (or gpu-z) screenshots with different vbioses? (E.g. with original 1060 and p106-100 vbios) I wonder if flashing different vbioses will affect these in any way and/if they change. Or, at least if they look different than on a usual P106.

The error 43/10 you've got are probably due to your modification to vbios file with the hex editor. Don't bother modding bioses, since, as I've said they are all digitally signed and tamper-proof. Driver detects that an refuses to start. The only way is to flash either the original GTX1060 or the original P106-100 vbios and give them a shot. 

On a side note: There's also a way to spoof pci IDs, when the card is being passed through to the virtual machine. This way we can try to install regular 1060 driver. But this will require you setting up a linux machine to host a VM and will require hardware with working IOMMU. (Process not for the faint-hearted) One of the things I was going to try myself once my P106 arrives.

Will this work on any P106 GPU or does it only work on "specially bios modified" P106 cards from Taobao?

Because I might be able to get a used regular Zotac p106 one nearby.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

2 hours ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Will this work on any P106 GPU or does it only work on "specially bios modified" P106 cards from Taobao?

Because I might be able to get a used regular Zotac p106 one nearby.

Read my post 2 positions earlier. My son and i used an unmodified nvidia P106-100 which i bought on "marktplaats.nl"

(popular Dutch trade site bought by Ebay, because Ebay itself has less then 10% marketshare in The Netherlands)

5 hours ago, DeSteef said:

Read my post 2 positions earlier. My son and i used an unmodified nvidia P106-100 which i bought on "marktplaats.nl"

(popular Dutch trade site bought by Ebay, because Ebay itself has less then 10% marketshare in The Netherlands)

So basically he DID get one from a Dutch ebay to work.  Grey card, sounds like an msi model? Could It be that it already did have a modified bios ? From China bought by previous owner? 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I have 6 of these cards that I am selling. They have never been used for mining. We are willing to hit a good price point.