Solved. Can't Catch A Break: Weird Colour Casts

YellowJersey

Ugh! This is so frustrating. I'm on my fifth monitor now after buying two Asus and two BenQ monitors (and rejecting another BenQ monitor that the store graciously allowed me to inspect before buying) and I just can't get one that doesn't have a weird colour cast somewhere. I just bought a BenQ EL2870U and there's a noticeable purpley/orangey cast on the top left area of the screen. In general, colours are warmer in one area of the screen and become cooler as you go up/down or left/right, depending on which monitor I've bought.

I've tried different cables, different computers, different OSs, different lighting arrangements; nothing seems to work!

Would I be better off with an ultra wide? A curved? A curved ultra wide? Maybe it's because I'm going for fairly big monitors? Is it the 16:9 aspect ratio I keep going for?

I'm tempted to just go to each Memory Express location in the city (Calgary), walk around the store, and ask if I can buy the floor model if I find one that looks fine. This is crazy.

See this thread here for the saga leading up to this point

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

31 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Ugh! This is so frustrating. I'm on my fifth monitor now after buying two Asus and two BenQ monitors (and rejecting another BenQ monitor that the store graciously allowed me to inspect before buying) and I just can't get one that doesn't have a weird colour cast somewhere. I just bought a BenQ EL2870U and there's a noticeable purpley/orangey cast on the top left area of the screen. In general, colours are warmer in one area of the screen and become cooler as you go up/down or left/right, depending on which monitor I've bought.

I've tried different cables, different computers, different OSs, different lighting arrangements; nothing seems to work!

Would I be better off with an ultra wide? A curved? A curved ultra wide? Maybe it's because I'm going for fairly big monitors? Is it the 16:9 aspect ratio I keep going for?

I'm tempted to just go to each Memory Express location in the city (Calgary), walk around the store, and ask if I can buy the floor model if I find one that looks fine. This is crazy.

See this thread here for the saga leading up to this point

Must people probably wouldn't notice it unless it was pointed out. Depending on the screen you buy they have different requirements for uniformity. It seems they aim for 10% or less difference in uniformity in which case those values would pass the internal tests. 

It will be luck of the draw you may get a perfect one but unlikely. 

This is why professional monitors exist with calibration tools to ensure uniformity across the screen.

If it's particularly bothersome I think you might want to look at Pro monitors. 

1 hour ago, r4tch3t said:

Must people probably wouldn't notice it unless it was pointed out. Depending on the screen you buy they have different requirements for uniformity. It seems they aim for 10% or less difference in uniformity in which case those values would pass the internal tests. 

It will be luck of the draw you may get a perfect one but unlikely. 

This is why professional monitors exist with calibration tools to ensure uniformity across the screen.

If it's particularly bothersome I think you might want to look at Pro monitors. 

I suspect you're right.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy